1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rostov

rostov Well-Known Member

Figures. There are only Brooks 5th Aves in our size and a Brooks Presidio in 11 3E.

I find the following offering at Brooks interesting, although only in D. Shows the power of the MTO? Presenting the Linen Carlyle:

[​IMG]

2. gotlighters

gotlighters Well-Known Member

It's a bank and their policy is black suits (hideous, I know) along with a blue shirt and a tie. They don't have a policy stating I have to wear black shoes so I figured I would try some color so I don't look like I am going to court.[/quote]

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Go for it then! Let us know how it pans out.

I would personally recommend against it, though. Banks are conservative environments and blue suede longwings are as casual as you can get without wearing sneakers

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  4. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

"Don't you....step on my blue suede shoes!"

5. peppercorn78

Hey bro, I've got a pair!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Nonsense! I'm wearing my navy suede players as we speak with grey pants and they look fine. :)

7. peppercorn78

Would you wear them to work in a bank with a black suit?

8. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Nah. Too much going on IMO

1 person likes this.
  9. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I think, given your needs, that a Merlot McAllister will be the ideal choice. You can wear them with jeans if you want (even though some people would prefer not to), but if you're mostly wearing business casual with slacks or chinos, the Merlot McAllister will probably be a good choice.

The u-wing of the University is a bit of an enigma for me - on the one hand, the u-wing makes me think it's more casual, since it's relatively unusual, and unusual things are generally less formal. On the other hand, the shape of the u-wing makes it a little bit more akin to a captoe, which is more formal. I don't really know what to think about the University in terms of formality. Sometimes I think it's more formal than the McAllister, sometimes I think it's less. Certainly the rubber Dainite sole and the ensuing contrast between the chili welt, the black Dainite sole, the chili edges on the heel, and the black rubber toplift on the heel, make it seem a little less formal in the sole/welt/edge department than the McAllister.

This is the closest thing I could find in terms of the picture you're looking for. These Merlot McAllisters look a little bit more red and less burgundy/purple than they usually look, to me.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

So glad these have returned.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Natural shell Daltons? Or a lighter shade of Walnut shell?

12. bc78

bc78 Well-Known Member

I had a similar question about the McCallister and the University, while also throwing in the Carlyle. I have a store credit and want to take advantage of the sale, so I'm deciding the between the University in Bob's Chili, the McCallister in Merlot, and the Carlyle in Oxblood. I'm trying to fill a hole in my wardrobe and get something close to burgundy. I like the shape of the University last by far the best but I'm not sure I love the color. I'd prefer a rubber sole on these, which would add an extra $40 on to the Carlyles. The McCallister is a great color, but I'm not crazy about the last.

Which one would you guys pick? Any help is greatly appreciated.

13. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Anyone have good luck cleaning the edges of their Eagle Country boots?

Also, I know I've asked this before (but never got a very good answer), but what about the polishing the cronmok? AE's website says they shouldn't be polished.

14. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

After hemming and hawing over possible MTOs during this sale, I decided that I really just wanted a pair of Neumoks in Olive. Tried them on with some green socks for teh giggles.

I'm still sad that I gave up my pair of Rush Streets in Olive when they were on sale, but these Neumoks are actually more comfortable and were a good bit cheaper. A few imperfections as expected for seconds, but for ultra-casual shoes, I can live with them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

Has anyone had experience ordering 2nds? I see it's only a $10 restocking fee if there's a serious issue, but what's the chance of that happening in your opinions?

Worth the risk to save $60?

Thank you

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  16. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

I just got the Dark Chili Burnished McAllisters. They are dark, but not Bob's and not as orange as regular chili. I did a sight comparison of each, and also Merlot and Oxblood. I think they are the most versatile of all. I have worn with jeans, blue trousers, and gray trousers. I will also wear with khaki. I personally like the 65 last, and the leather sole, so the McAllister over the University is my preference. Take a look at the Dark Chili, even though the website just calls them chili burnished. I verified with customer service before ordering because of the confusion.

17. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I think "regular" Chili has become much darker since they introduced Bob's Chili (also known as Dark Chili).

I remember looking at the regular Chili McAllister (style 6202), which is still the only McAllister in any variation of Chili they offer, about a year ago (about six months before Bob's/Dark Chili was introduced), and it was MUCH more red than the Chili McAllisters that are being made today (still style 6202).

I am curious what the actual difference is between the production of the Chili McAllister and the Dark Chili Strand, for example. I'm guessing they just apply slightly less burnishing to the McAllister.

Post up some pictures of your pair!

18. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I've ordered around 10 pairs of seconds now and never returned any of them. I am pretty good with most issues unless it's something glaring on the toe or vamp. Depends on how tolerable you are to flaw imo, most I got and could hardly tell the issue but one pair had the issue below, still kept them though since you can't tell when you wear them.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

So worth it to save $60? Sadly there's no Merlot belts in my size so that will have go come new

20. bc78

bc78 Well-Known Member

Thanks, those are a great color!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.