1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

How would I get those out, if they happen? And how do I guard against that?

2. dalevy

dalevy Well-Known Member

Nice pair of strands.

3. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

I was just about to say that I would really love it if they made the strands on the 108 last, so that I would bye them in dark chili. That would be my ideal shoe to wear in many situations that require a suit, but do not require a black balmoral.

I just do not like the fit or the look of the 5 last.

4. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Absolutely gorgeous!

5. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

Just ordered myself a pair of McAllister firsts from the sale. Your pics make me so glad I chose Dark Chili! J

6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Cronmok in Navy. Was a little apprehensive when I first bought them but as all things it looks better in person. Incredibly comfortable shoes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  7. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

I was just about to buy a pair of carminas but I really like the chili color so much. I'm considering these and merlot mcallisters

8. delmar

delmar Well-Known Member

I would guard against it by slathering them in Venetian shoe cream. But that is what I would do--it's probably not a very good idea in many other member's opinions and it would make for a marked change in appearance of the shoes.

9. Nestea92

Nestea92 Member

I'll have a chance to visit the Jeffersonville, Ohio shoebank this Sunday so I'm planning plenty of time to stop there and have a look around. From looking at the shoebank website, their selection in my sizes (10.5E / 11D depending on last) is pretty slim. Does anyone know if the shoebank stores have additional inventory not listed online? I'll be stopping either way, but I guess I'm just curious if I might have a chance to find something I've had my eye on that isn't listed on the Shoebank site...

It would be great if the website would allow a search filter by store... My hope was to actually see the shoes and not order blind and then need to return. So far, I've gotten 1 pair (Black Hills) through the Ohio shoebank via mail and they are great looking and comfortable, casual shoes.. but ordering a McAlister or something in that price range worries me a bit more than ordering the $127 black hills casual shoe.

10. Al Dente

Al Dente Well-Known Member

The Brooks Brothers shoes aren't listed on the website, or any Ralph Lauren. I think the same goes for the Jos. A. Bank models as I haven't seen any on the site.

11. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Anyone pick up the Universities during this first sale? I figure they would be the choice for those who want brogueing but can't manage with the 5 last.

12. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Well-Known Member

There is a backwards way to check availability of these. Do a quick search and you will see there is a a way to check availability for the Jos a Bank , BB and RL AE shoes.

13. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Not really sure. I'm just looking at it as character for the Neumoks. I've thought about using Bick 4 or the AE Conditioner Cleaner on them, but am afraid that it'll really darken them up.

Thank you!

Yeah, I do like the shape of the 8 last, but really enjoy the fit of the 5.

Thank you!

Make sure you post some pictures when they arrive!

Cronmoks are very cool. Never been able to find a pair that I liked on my own feet, but they are cool boots.

Both are great choices.

I suspect any product would darken them (the Acorn Hillfire Neumoks / Tan Strandmoks), but I think Bick 4 would probably darken them the least out of the usual cleaners. I'd probably shy away from VSC. Lexol might work too, though. Not really sure.

14. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

I can't find that, do you have a link?

15. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  16. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Like someone posted already, they should have BB and RL models around in the store but won't have any AE branded styles beyond what is shown on the page (usually). When I am visiting the store I usually call like a week and a half to two weeks in advance to give them time to bring things in.

But I can't feel too bad for you - the Black Hills run really wide, so I'm going to assume you went 11D and not 10.5E. In 11D there is still an Adams and a Williams available - definitely check those out.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  17. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

Can shell color be intentionally altered / darkened?

IE, if I bought a natural shell pair of shoes, but already had something in my closet much too similar...
    could I darken the natural shell similar to regular leather, with dye?
    Or is there another approach?

I own natural and regular brown shell, nothing in between. Can I get close to Ravello or Walnut starting with natural?

18. evilWagon

evilWagon Well-Known Member

Not that it helps any of us now but the Jeffersons seconds were briefly included in the 2 close outs for 299 deal last year, I'd already ordered some Harrison's and Fifth Steets and couldn't pick a second shoe to go with the Jefferson, I should have just grabbed Brown and Walnut in hindsight.

I think this sale I'll pull the trigger on Merlot Mcallisters with the vtap sole and bourbon lexingtons on dainite.

19. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

@JSo1

They are stupid comfortable. Probably my most comfortable shoe from AE thus far. I could see myself getting a pair in a brown tone if available.

20. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

I got the Dark Chili McAllisters as well, and they are sharp! If I didn't have Bourbon Strands, I would get the Strand in Dark Chili also. Best color they have, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.