1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Right. The Walden is corrected grain. My leather knowledge at the time of purchase was pretty nonexistent, and I preferred the more robust burgundy color of the Walden to the comparatively muted Kenwood. I remember thinking "Wow, this leather is shiny and feels slick like shell, it must be a step up from the usual calf!"

Heh. If only I knew then what I know now.

[​IMG]

Of course, the finish difference is due to the CG lacquer layer. Ultimately I do not find the Waldens to be uncomfortable, but they are still very stiff even after a lot of wear while the Kenwoods feel like slippers.

Like the Kenwood, I bought the Walden seconds to have something that looked decent, that I could wear with and through just about anything, and so far they held up well in the year that I have owned the shoe. I don't seem to have the bad creasing that can develop on a CG shoe, at least not yet, and they have been worn through the same kind of wet weather that left water marks on the Kenwood without any marring.

I guess the the good thing is that with those two shoes relegated to junior varsity status, it leaves room in my closet for natural and burgundy shell loafers at some point. I've been eying Rancourt's natural shell full-strap along with Alden's Color #8 LHS.

2. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

3. pizzapie

pizzapie Well-Known Member

Gave up on trying to size myself through trial and error (shoebank) and went into my local store and was sized properly and purchased my first pair of AEs! They are the McAllister in walnut with Dainite sole. I had previously felt guilty "using" the sales associate to then buy from the shoebank. Suffice it to say, I am very happy with that decision and the time and effort spent helping me was well worth the $60 cost difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    2 people like this.
  4. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

If my memory serves me correct, there was also a 15% coupon in the back of the AE magazine. So roughly $300 shipped. I was shocked at that price also and I definitely didn't need another longwing blucher, but at $300, it was hard not to bite.

I also saw Jeffersons offered at $200 on Amazon, but sizes were limited and the only color available was black.

5. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Very nice - I have the walnut McAllister and it is one of my favorite AE shoe. Chris

1 person likes this.
  6. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

I've had a pair of Park Avenues for the last five years. They've been my go-to for funerals, black tie, job interviews -- I even got married in 'em. Then in January I ordered a pair of black Carlyles with a Dainite sole, since I'm in a tuxedo often and sometimes the weather is nasty.

For me it's no contest. The Carlyle is a much sleeker shoe in every way; I'm happy to lose the captoe if it means my feet look that much better otherwise. If I wore a suit to work every day I could see the utility in having two different pairs of black balmorals, but as it is the Park Aves are now more or less relegated to the back of my closet.

7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Gobi love today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Well-Known Member

Those look great. I see pictures like these and think I should just jump the gun on a pair from the Shoebank, especially at $149. But, then I remember all the rain and snow we get in Chicago and think it's better to wait and see if the Tan Saddle version drops at all in price. Quit posting pictures like this, or I'm going to end up with both pairs.

9. bdavro23

bdavro23 Well-Known Member

I purchased two pair of Jefferson 2nds at $225 a piece during a sale 18 months ago. I think it was the RDA, but I cant recall. In any event, for quite some time, the entire Independence collection was at $227, which can still be seen on a lot of the boxes.

I think the days of $225 Jefferson 2nds are over, but below $299 has certainly been seen and likely will be seen again.

10. yanagi

yanagi Well-Known Member

I agree that the 108 last is sleeker than the 65, and I think many others would agree too.

11. Josh Savage

Josh Savage Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Dalton is my favorite shoe. I have them in Ox Blood, Walnut, and black. These are well broken in and are a joy to wear. What is your favorite pair of AEs?

12. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Those look great!

My fav is probably my cappuccino shell Bayfield (brown shell Dundee as a close second)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  13. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Ahh..I did not get the 15% off code in the catalog. I think it was only some that got them. I must have either bought too much that i didn't need to be further enticed or not enough to be rewarded. Not sure how they decided.

Amazon is such a crapshoot in terms of sizing/colors that I don't consider it too often, especially since normal widths are harder to find on sale.

14. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of the Dalton as well and look forward to future options beyond my single oxblood pair, but in the end my favorite shoe is a tossup between my burgundy Cambridge and walnut shell Strands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Josh Savage

I LOVE those! I only have one pair of Shell shoes (MacNeil). But now that I have a good rotation of calf, I will start replacing them with shell. Great shoe!

16. Josh Savage

That Cambridge is a great shoe, but the Shell Strand doesn't have a rival IMO. Cream of the crop.

17. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

I really enjoy them. My walnut shell is a darker, different color than walnut calf in most light and it is far more versatile for my needs as a result. My concern is wearing them too much as I'm already hurtling towards a recrafting after a little over a year's use, but so be it. :slayer:

18. JR Magat

JR Magat Well-Known Member

those walnut shell strands > all other AEs... [​IMG]

For me it's a toss up between my walnut shell daltons or my newly arrived brown shell strands... for me the Dalton and Strand are just my favorite AE models

19. Josh Savage

Did you win the Strands on eBay? I just lost an auction for some brown shell Strands.

20. JR Magat

JR Magat Well-Known Member

Haha, nope, wasn't me! I bought these from AE directly after lusting over them for some time... I did just score some burgundy shell Leeds on eBay though [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.