1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drocpsu

drocpsu Member

Awesome. Just picked up a couple pairs. Thanks for the tip!

2. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Any of you guys have the Maritime boat shoe or any AE boat shoes? I'm thinking about getting a pair, but I know nothing about boat shoes. Saw them in store and thought they looked nice.

Are there alternatives to AE in getting a Horween CXL boat shoe, preferably in navy?

3. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

Quite a few. My big-deal fishing trip is opening day for striper on the Chesapeake. It's usually still cold out there on the third Saturday in April, so a few years ago I picked up some high-top deck shoes from Quoddy; I like them very much:
    [​IMG]
    Quoddy allowed me to customize them through the roof, too. They fit my weirdly long and narrow feet just fine.

Alternates include Sebago, Oak Street, and Rancourt (who I believe was affiliated with Allen Edmonds in the past).

Mea culpa @ AE for invading their thread with alternative brands. I would have considered them had their offerings been made in the US and available in 14AA.

4. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

Bugger. No shell on sale.

[​IMG]

5. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I was selling these Patriots because I thought I needed to size up but was unsuccessful. Figured I would give them another shot today and with a few hours in today they are feeling pretty good. Maybe I won't need to part with them after all and though I prefer the Alden LHS, these are a great alternative that I got as seconds for I think during the $325 sale last year. Would actually consider them in brown as well if I could get them for $325 again at some point. Fingers crossed for another shell seconds sale... (also need some burgundy Dundees)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Thanks! It looks like they are all priced higher than AE except the Sebagos. To me $175 is steep enough as it is for the AEs so the other options are out of my range for boat shoes. I'll have to try on the AEs or wait for some seconds :D

7. Ganny

Ganny New Member

I purchased (via Shoe Bank) a Bourbon Manistee belt to match my Bourbon Fifth Avenues, but the belt I received is many shades darker than my Bourbon shoes and does not really match. Has anyone else expierenced this issue? I wondering whether I just received a bad one. Thanks

8. FreedBird

FreedBird Well-Known Member

Just call them up and ask for one that is on the lighter side. The bourbon color varies a ton from piece to piece due to the burnishing technique they apply.

9. rostov

rostov Well-Known Member

I've been looking at Quoddy but haven't yet bought a pair.

As for AE, I have actually inquired about doing an MTO with the red and green CXLs used on the Maritime/Kirkwood. I was told it *might* be possible to use these leathers for an MTO of a made-in-the-USA handsewn. Basically, that means the Kenwood, Nashua, Cavanaugh, Maxfield, Stowe, Lowry Hill, Sanibel, and possibly the Patriot. SMU fee would apply of course.

10. JR Magat

JR Magat Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing... I would be interested in a pair of brown shell dundee boots

11. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Well-Known Member

Those look nice @Burzan .

I'm wearing my football grain Patriots today. I really like them when I get the correct size. I've sold 2 pairs recently because they were too wide, but that was my fault. I would love a pair of burgundy and brown shell Pat's.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  12. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Well-Known Member

About two months ago I ordered a pair of Sebago Campsides for approximately $90 when they had an additional 10% off coupon. You can try Amazon for more sizes. I've worn them a decent amount of times and love them. The navy Chromexcel and made in USA is pretty sweet. I also just ordered a pair of Sebago Docksides in red "Horween Leather" (not sure which particular leather) that are set to arrive tomorrow. Made in the DR, but I only paid $30 so there's not going to be a complaining bone in my body, I'm sure.

13. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for a Green CXL Maritime to pop-up on the bank. Assuming it is possible, Green CXL is definitely on my radar for a handsewn, so pending the proposed shoe, I'd be in to try to get to 12!

14. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Well-Known Member

I picked up a pair in brown shell during that sale and I love them!

15. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Nice! Got any pics, not many out there for the brown shell Patriots

16. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Started the day in Dundee.

[​IMG]

Ending it in unlined walnut shell. :)

[​IMG]

Thanks to FatTuesday for watching them for me!

2 people like this.
  17. FatTuesday

Just saw @tanbar 's post on the AE MTO thread - he's got new Natty shell Patriots from the Trunk Show. Check it out, they're beautiful!

18. bbouchard87

bbouchard87 Member

How do you buy shoes from shoe bank? I've always bought firsts...but you guys seem to have such a high opinion of the seconds I thought I would pick up a couple for the sale...but I don't see anywhere on the site to order them.

19. FatTuesday

You call or email. When you find the shoes you want, their location is provided, along with the store's email and phone number.

You can call or email any location and they can get them for you. If you're planning on more purchases from Shoebank, choose one store and one Sales Associate to work with. The relationship may help you in the future - repeat customer. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  20. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.