1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

It's probably Loake. CJ used to make Peal, I think.

2. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Wow. That's ridiculous. Have you contacted AE?

The first thing I'd do is take better photos and nicely ask their opinion on this fiasco.

3. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Thinking of getting a pair of McAllisters (to take advantage of the upcoing sale) and pair of Dalton seconds.
    I can't make up my mind on the color of the McA's, as I am torn between merlot, brown and bourbon. I currently work in a business casula environment, wearing chinos or wool trousers, but that can change anytime, requiring that I wear a suit 5days/week. I like the merlot, but I am just not sure if I'd wear it with anything other than navy and charcoal/grey suit, let alone wearing with chinos, etc. I kind of like the bourbon color (however, I was reserving it for Mora's or Daltons). I don't have any shoes in this color and it seems that it will work well with bus. casual (i.e. chinos) and slightly lighter colored. suits.

What do you all think?

Thanks

4. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

Merlot or Brown. Btw, Merlot is more versatile than you may think. J

5. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

I saw the ORD tonight at my local store. Couldn't try it on - I'm willow so for them to get in my size takes an act of god. It felt sort of weird, like a jack Nicklaus golf shoe - similar to that.

6. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

I'll give this my best shot; I'll use a few references for comparison. The Randolph is sort of my nemesis - believe it or not, I actually tried it on multiple times, in multiple sizes, at different times of the day (early vs. late at night), in standard calf and in shell. That's how much I wanted them to work, but they didn't.

In almost everything I wear my brannock measured size minus 0.5 in length. With AE's loafers, my biggest issue is the top of the shoe pressing down and killing me due to high arches. I'll run through my own experience - yours will differ but this will give you a starting point.

I couldn't wear the Maxfield due to the issue I noted. Probably because of the softer leather, the Nashua has been ok for me, even though it is also on the 114. [Off topic but in the 114 I take my measured size exactly.]

The Patriot (606) fit like a glove - the toebox was sufficient - not super roomy but enough room, the heel was just right, and the top didn't kill me like the Maxfield. But these things sure are plain looking.

The Grayson (97) is a weird fit - it is very tapered in the toebox and large in the heel - a strange combination. Since the top doesn't bother me at all with this, it is passable. I found that the heel slippage goes away almost completely when they are broken in. They aren't the best fit in the world, but they look pretty damn good.

So I think of the "flagship" standard loafers AE continues to produce, the Randolph is probably the best looking - people have compared it to the Patriot but it is much better looking. However, the fit of the 79 last just doesn't work for me. That issue with the top pressing down wasn't terrible with the Randolph but it was certainly what I would call moderate. The heel felt large, maybe not Grayson large, but overly large for me. The toebox also felt like it had too much room. The size felt like the correct size (meaning it was the optimal length and width), it was just that the overall shape didn't work. When I walked in them it was sort of awkward, and they bent in such a way that it pinched as I walked (don't know how to explain this too well). I tried on the Cody at one point and remember them fitting really similar to the Randolph.

Now comparing to the 234 last (I tried the Dornoch and the McGraw), this was just bad everywhere. The heel and toebox were humungous, like they were designed for bozo the clown. I guess if it was between one of these and the Randolph, the Randolph would win.

Hope this helps - if you can't get to try the Randolph but can try the Patriot, do it - if the Patriot doesn't fit, you're probably good with the Randolph.

7. mikeharo

mikeharo Well-Known Member

Wow, thank-you very much for taking the time to send this response. Very helpful, thank-you.

8. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

Anyone have pictures of Walnut Harrisons? I've been searching the thread and have seen Rutledge, but not Harrison. On shoebank the Rutledge looks nicely burnished, the Harrison looks plain walnut. I'm really interested at the price point.

I wear a suit everyday and burnished i think is ok, plain walnut is too loud for work.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  9. bmwseller

bmwseller New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pics of the mcgregors without and then with flash, the without photo better representing the way it looks in person and walnut strands for comparison.

The box reads snuff suede but, these have to be chocolate right?

10. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wear 9.5E in the 108 and 5 lasts, and probaby could do 9.5EE in the 108. Was swimming in the 9.5E warwick. Have a 9.5D on order, will see how that goes.

I'm also not fully sold on the oxblood warwicks. They look great on the shelf and in pics but I wonder how versatile they are with such a bulky strap, for more formal settings.

11. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Agree with this assessment. Made in England and it's at the right price point.

12. Jurgis

Jurgis Well-Known Member

Browsing the AE website, it appears that my second-hand Ashtons are recraftable. The generic recrafting form also offers the option of changing the sole type. Does anyone know if they can replace the rubber soles with leather? Thanks in advance.

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I've always liked the photographs of the shoes on the Ralph Lauren website. They may not have as many angles as the AE photos, but the quality is quite obviously superior. There are, however, users on this board who consistently do better than both.

14. 22busy

22busy Well-Known Member

I can't answer to how they hold up as mine was a recent purchase, but they do seem pretty durable. I bought mine to wear to work (business casual) on bad weather days, weekends and for outdoor use. They fit that nicely. Not very dressy at all. Some of the pictures I've seen seem like a consistent walnut. Mine were not that way. They were much more burnished to give them a bit of a weathered look.

15. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

My snuff suede Strands are exactly like those; the chocolates are darker.

1 person likes this.
  16. jjr4884

jjr4884 Well-Known Member

Go with the Merlot. One of my favorite shoes, they are gorgeous in Merlot.

17. losrockets

losrockets Well-Known Member

Those are def the snuff. The color variability on AE's snuff suede is high depending on the lighting, which is one of my favorite things about that color. Chocolate is consistently a flat, dark brown that I personally feel has little depth to it. Brogue is in between - I have both brogue and snuff and think they each have their place.

1 person likes this.
  18. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Well-Known Member

Yes, you'll see an option for that on the recrafting form. It's $10 extra.

19. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Promontory Point in brown, Bleecker Street in Bob's Chili, Harrison in walnut

[​IMG]
    Harrison in walnut, Mora 2.0 in bourbon, Fifth Street in brown, Bleecker Street in Bob's Chili

A few notes:
    - My Harrisons are a little darker than stock, having been cared for with mid tan shoe polish.
    - AE website pictures are notoriously bad. I've seen the Rutledge picture you're referring to and it looks nothing like what I saw in the store.
    - My Harrisons came with minimal (but not unnoticeable) burnishing. You can always accentuate it with some dark brown polish if that's your preference.
    - I wear mine with suits but I live in San Diego and work in biotech. Based on your avatar, I take it you work at a law firm and your standards of dress are probably higher.

20. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

I really like the McAllisters in Merlot. While I can see it go very well with wool pants of varous colors, how flexible is it to dress down, like with chinos, and, perhaps, jeans? I am having hard time picturing it dressed down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.