1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

What kind of laces do you all use on your Dundees? Mine came with the standard thin waxed dress laces, and they seem a little flimsy for such a substantial shoe.

2. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Well-Known Member

I visited my local retail shop yesterday and learned about two upcoming sales:

First, our location is doing a "special invitation" Sprint Preview Event which includes an offer of a free (up to $98) belt with the purchase of a pair of full-priced "welted" shoes on March 12th only. The invite says valid at retail STORES which makes me think all locations will do the same thing.

Doing the math, that's $483 of products for $385, which is a 21% discount.

Then April 9th is the next sale, which will be 15% off of everything, and run about 2-3 weeks.

3. MUFCreddevil

MUFCreddevil Well-Known Member

Just picked up my first AE's. Black Hales from the shoe bank. appear to be PERFECT condition so feel pretty lucky. I've worn a half dozen times and they are great. I need to snap a pic tomorrow.

Now my next pair needs to be a brown shade.

I've been looking at McAllister and Strand. I think I'm set on doing Strand in Walnut as I love how they look. So what is a good color for the McAllister? I guess I could also do Park Ave. in Bourbon. Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  4. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Well-Known Member

Pick yourself up a multi pack of colored laces with your Walnut Strands and all of your dreams will come true.

Life changing. And I'm only half kidding.

5. MUFCreddevil

MUFCreddevil Well-Known Member

From what I've read the Nordstrom mid year sale is the best time to buy AE Strands... so I'll be waiting for those. :)

6. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Quote:Yes, the Atlanta stores are doing the 3/12 promotion as well. April 9th will most likely be the Anniversary sale.

7. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

Decided to go with the Kenilworths in dark brown. We'll see how it turns out. In the meantime, my other closeout style order just arrived - snuff suede Gobi's. I like them quite a lot. The Dainite sole and soft leather lining make it a more substantial shoe than the Stone Suede Amoks, which I also have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Well-Known Member

I picked up some of these for my new Dundees. 27" is the perfect length.

The flat laces don't fit well in the smaller holes of the Dundee nor do they look right in my opinion. My natty Dundees came with light khaki colored laces, which I didn't care much for. Those below are not cheap but are adequate - and they're a bit thicker than the AE dress shoe laces.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  9. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

My 7 last shell shoes definitely feel looser than my 5 last shell shoes, almost to the point where they are too big, but I'm pretty sure I could not fit into a size down. The toebox would be too cramped for me. I think if I went half size down and one width up I think they would be too wide for me in the heel.

I don't see an issue. After some time they will stretch. If anything the right shoe would be an issue for me. It looks too closed and seem like they might be too big after they stretch.

I have some on mine 3 or 4 year old walnut shell strands and I can still faintly see them. Thems the price of seconds.

10. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

I'm sure I may get some hate for saying this, but I just haven't been able to get into the colored lace thing. I seen others pull it off, but I dunno...

11. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

So, what prices do we expect on the ShoeBank during the upcoming anniversary sale?

12. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Well-Known Member

I can't pull off the colored laces either. But I have changed out the factory laces for other shapes and thicknesses and (usually earth tone) colors.

13. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Little off topic, but I visited my local store today to check out the new styles and I wanted to comment a little -

1. I actually went specifically to see the Concord Ave, which I found to be kind of underwhelming. It's built on the same last as the Maxfield and Lowry Hill so it looks similar, but has a bit instead of tassels. It was ok, it just looked really generic, like something that you would see a hundred times over in other brands. Felt pretty substantial, quality-wise.

2. I was definitely more impressed with the Rogue in person than from the pictures. The over-the-top perfs kind of give it a unique look. Hope this one does well.

3. Warwick was pretty nice, also a little different.

4. Concordia (ae collection) - holy crap what were they thinking?! I would be embarrassed to have the AE name attached to it. The Urbino had this awful thin leather than would get worn out in like a month, looks like this is even thinner. Felt like if you bumped into a desk leg they would tear open.

5. That new independence line also looks really promising - they still have the price at 495, which I consider quite reasonable for an upgrade over standard calf. Like I said in other posts, if it approaches the shell price, it becomes less reasonable.

14. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

I really like the Rogue. I think it's going to do very well.

15. ncroadwarrior2

ncroadwarrior2 Well-Known Member

Funny. I did the same today in Mebane, NC. This is actually an outlet store. I also liked the Rouge a lot and the Warwick. I went in to try a pair of Bleecker Street boots on in person but they didn't have my size. I did leave with two nice belts though :). I just had to buy something......[​IMG]

16. harlequin782

harlequin782 Well-Known Member

For frequent sales to be one of its strong points as a company, I have been pretty disappointed in the sale specials as of late...here's hoping the april sale will restore some of my enthusiasm.

17. ncroadwarrior2

I absolutely agree with you! I'm trying to hold off on a new pair of Park Avenues until a decent sale comes up.

18. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

The best time to buy the Park Avenue, Strand, or any other "classic" full-priced style is during Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale (July), when AE will price match if you ask, or during AE's Rediscover America Sale (RDA), which is in October. I don't recall the Park Avenue being discounted at all during the April sale last year.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  19. ncroadwarrior2

Ok thanks. That is good information. I'm still in my "first year" of AE purchases. I will definitely keep an eye on the sales.

20. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

I can see the Rogue becomming part of the Timeless Classics collection, eventually. It fills a slot, and is supposedly from the 40s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.