1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

How many pairs do you have? I think I have enough dress shoes for work even though I can pretty much get away with casual. However I like to dress up sometimes and I'm going to buy the carlyle for a nice sleek black pair.

I try to balance dress shoes and casual shoes so I have a good balance

2. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

Any love, pics, or sizing advice for the Walton?

3. rostov

rostov Well-Known Member

I'm afraid to count...

1. Walnut Strand
    2. Walnut Shell Dalton (although I plan to sell this... 11E)
    3. Walnut Shreveport
    4. Brogue Suede Strand
    5. Distressed Ashbury
    6. Navy Banchory
    7. Snuff Gobi
    8. Black 5th Ave
    9. Cognac Ridgeway
    10. Duke loafer
    11. Brown Grain Eagle County
    12. Oxblood Eagle River (i.e. Eagle County) - in delivery
    13. Shell Macneils... - in delivery (from @peppercorn78 )

My mistakes in purchasing have been around sizing more than style. Four of the above just don't fit right and don't get much wear because of it. The Ridgeway and to a lesser extent, the Ashbury, were not nearly as attractive as I thought they might be. Eventually, I'll recraft the orange welt off the Ridgeway and it will be fine.

Next purchases will probably be the Kirkwood and a Long Branch.

(EDIT: these are all my shoes except a 12" Maine Hunting Boot and a pair of Rockport Perth boat shoes)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  4. ChukkasOnHudson

ChukkasOnHudson Member

I just got a pair of Long Branch boots (11.5 D), but unfortunately, the last is too narrow for my foot (I had the same issue with the Dalton and even upsized a half size this time). Has anyone else had this issue and gone to a wider width? I've got a pair of E width Eagle River boots on the way, so hopefully those fit my foot better.
    Anyway, this LB is a great casual boot with otherwise comfortable Gumlite sole and v soft Dark Brown Grain Leather, but the width across the forefoot is a dealbreaker for me. So, I am looking to sell and thought this may be interest to some of you...
    eBay item no.: 261792262490

Check out the link below. Thanks. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261792262490?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

1 person likes this.
  5. 7_rocket

Nice list. For me I want to purchase shoes that are all different. I don't want the same shoe in different colors.

I see the Eagle river in brown but the sole is an ugly black, can we change this or the only way is MTO? No idea why AE would put black on the soles

6. ChukkasOnHudson

ChukkasOnHudson Member

@7_rocket -
    Agree about the ER black welt/sole. Plus, I've seen online reviews that the Eagle River comes much lighter brown than pictured on the AE site, almost looks like a pale tan. I'm hoping to darken it enough with leather lotion and brown polish that it goes with the black welt better. The leather on the Eagle County looks much better, but the white sole is a non-starter for me. Plus, I got what seems to be one of the last stock pairs for $157- which I thought was a steal.

@rostov- if you are looking at the Long Branch, see my other post above. I would recommend trying the boots on in store to make sure you have the right fit on that last (511). The toe box is round, but feels narrow to me across the forefoot. Good luck!

7. rostov

rostov Well-Known Member

The only reason I bought the second Eagle County/River is because the first pair happens to be the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever owned. I suppose I did the same with the Brogue Suede Strand and the Walnut Strand, but these are so radically different, it hardly counts.

8. bdavro23

bdavro23 Well-Known Member

This may have been covered somewhere in the 3700 or so pages of this thread, but the search function didnt find it...

Does anyone have an opinion on the sizing of the shell shoes versus the calf shoes? I have heard that the shell runs slightly larger. Opinions? Thanks!

9. 7_rocket

Yes sir I saw that as well. But with polish it will darken anyways. I'm just very perplexed why they would go tan on black? The shoe is a good looking good and I'm tempted to get it as I don't have brown boots yet. I guess I'll get used to the black sole?

10. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Got my pair in from the sale finally. Less than 24hrs from order to door from Leeds. Look great. Some minor wrinkling on the side but evens out when worn.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

welp just placed my order for the Bleecker Street in Bob's Chili (seconds).

12. Al Dente

Al Dente Well-Known Member

What do you think of the cloud finish? Is it that much different from the regular walnut finish?

13. iamelroberto

iamelroberto Well-Known Member

Why selling the daltons?

14. LanceM

LanceM Well-Known Member

I had the same question a few months ago. Most agree that shell is a little bit looser or wider than calf. I think mdubs mentioned they pull them looser on the last so, they don't tear it (since it is an expensive leather).

I had a pair of shell seconds sent to my retail store so, I could try it on. I can attest that they fit looser/wider than calf. I compared the Cambridge to the calf Mcallister.

1 person likes this.
  15. rostov

rostov Well-Known Member

Fit. 11E is too narrow for me. I could try and stretch them, but I've decided not to risk it.

16. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

When this was launched a weeks or so ago, they claimed there'd be 11 colours, but only 8 were on the site.
    Now all mention of 11 had been changed to 8.
    No more Football Brown, or Gold.

17. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Walnut MacNeils? I didn't know they had them. Except the grain version.

18. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion. But you can just spot the BB insole. They're the chili grain.

There is/was the new walnut MacNeil. And there was an old walnut grain. I tried to get one but no luck.

19. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Cross Post from the MTO Thread:

Galways (Really an Eagle County in Natty Shell/Snuff Suede):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Navy Shell Cordovan First Avenue Boot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, some Cap Toe Boot Comparison!

Left to Right: AE Natty Shell/Snuff Eagle County MTO, Crockett & Jones Harlech MTO in Whiskey Shell, Alden Ravello Daytripper, and AE Navy Shell First Avenue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

4 people like this.
  20. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Well done Mike, those boots both turned out amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.