• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavrik13

Reaction score

The pic isn't mine, I found it on the web. That being said, I will be putting a Topy on mine as I do with all my shoes. I do a ton of walking on concrete, and I also work in a hospital where leather soled shoes are not the greatest idea.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
I picked up the pine rivers as well. Not my typical choice but I figured for the price it wouldn't be much of a risk.

How do they fit? Can you snap a pic with a pair of jeans on? no cuff.
In the wild:

And at home:

As an aside, I wore today with my BOURBON MANISTEE...

Was this sacrilege? It looked great (to me, at least).
Belt was barely seen, but it still looks passable. Thoughts?

I saw this question yesterday, about how the manistee can be used; this will make three shoes the bourbon works with - six shoes work with walnut version.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Behold the wonderfulness that is Allen Edmonds MTO:

Seven of the nine are from the current MTO program. From left to right:

1. Brown Chromexcel Bayfield. I had a pair in 12E, but with the Poron insole, it was way too tight. Turns out I needed a 12.5 EEE, but it was not a standard size. These are stock.
2. Black sharkskin Eagle County with a v-tread tap sole. Pretty straightforward, and one of the last Eagle County pairs at the $197 sale price.
3. Black sharkskin Clifton. One of the two that did not come from the current MTO program. Sherman Brothers helped me get these before Allen Edmonds had an MTO option for the SF consumer.
4. Chili/brown sharkskin Shelton. These were made from the only brown and chili sharkskin they had. There is no more.
5. Walnut shell cordovan Mac Neil with natural welt and edge dressing. These are the pair that started the current craze.
6. Walnut shell cordovan/cappuccino shell cordovan Shelton. Two rare colors of shell in one.
7. Cappuccino shell McAllister. I didn't get these when they were webgems. Same exact makeup.
8. Burgundy shell Lexington with natural welt and edge dressing and Independence insole.
9. Black calf Wendell. The other that did not come through the current MTO program. Retired style at the time, but Paul himself helped me get them made.

My overall experience with the MTO program has been amazing. First Deborah and then Allison - their customer service has been top-notch and they have been patient and helpful every step of the way. I am thoroughly pleased with all of the shoes.

In addition to these, I also had three Neumoks made during the original custom Neumok run:

Additionally, I have some older MTOs I bought off eBay. They are the two on the left, made of real American Gator:

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Brown Chromexcel Bayfield. I had a pair in 12E, but with the Poron insole, it was way too tight. Turns out I needed a 12.5 EEE, but it was not a standard size. These are stock.
2. Black sharkskin Eagle County with a v-tread tap sole. Pretty straightforward, and one of the last Eagle County pairs at the $197 sale price.
3. Black sharkskin Clifton. One of the two that did not come from the current MTO program. Sherman Brothers helped me get these before Allen Edmonds had an MTO option for the SF consumer.
4. Chili/brown sharkskin Shelton. These were made from the only brown and chili sharkskin they had. There is no more.
5. Walnut shell cordovan Mac Neil with natural welt and edge dressing. These are the pair that started the current craze.
6. Walnut shell cordovan/cappuccino shell cordovan Shelton. Two rare colors of shell in one.
7. Cappuccino shell McAllister. I didn't get these when they were webgems. Same exact makeup.
8. Burgundy shell Lexington with natural welt and edge dressing and Independence insole.
9. Black calf Wendell. The other that did not come through the current MTO program. Retired style at the time, but Paul himself helped me get them made.

My overall experience with the MTO program has been amazing. First Deborah and then Allison - their customer service has been top-notch and they have been patient and helpful every step of the way. I am thoroughly pleased with all of the shoes.

In addition to these, I also had three Neumoks made during the original custom Neumok run:

Additionally, I have some older MTOs I bought off eBay. They are the two on the left, made of real American Gator:

worship2.gif

quidameister

Reaction score
Noob here on recrafting and need some pointers. I was prepping my Waltons now that warmer weather is suppose to be around the corner. I noticed my heels are wearing down. Is this when I should bring this in for a heel replacement or can I survive with a heel tap for now? The rest of the heel is still in good shape. Also, when do folks usually think soles needs recrafting? Do I still have more miles before needing to send them back in?

Thanks!

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Noob here on recrafting and need some pointers. I was prepping my Waltons now that warmer weather is suppose to be around the corner. I noticed my heels are wearing down. Is this when I should bring this in for a heel replacement or can I survive with a heel tap for now? The rest of the heel is still in good shape. Also, when do folks usually think soles needs recrafting? Do I still have more miles before needing to send them back in?

Thanks!

How long did you have those and how often do you wear them (a week)?
Not an expert but it looks the a heel tap will be just fine since the rest of the heel and sole are still in very good shape. Can't really see it from the first picture, but you may want to put a toe tap as well, it probably will prolong the life of your shoes.

Last edited:

quidameister

Reaction score
How long did you have those and how often do you wear them (a week)?
Not an expert but it looks the a heel tap will be just fine since the rest of the heel and sole are still in very good shape. Can't really see it from the first picture, but you may want to put a toe tap as well, it probably will prolong the life of your shoes.
Great question. It wore them once every 1 or 2 weeks over the past year, not counting this winter as I went to boots. A couple of my other pairs are in the same condition.

I agree with your suggestion about the toe tap. Good eye with the first pic.

shartmann

Reaction score
That's a good score for $120. I've seen some shoes at the Rack that looked used but had been resoled. Maybe that's the case here? I browse through my size every time I visit, and have yet to see something that appealing. I would keep them. Plus, you already have the belt.

I posted this about a year ago, suggesting that Nordstrom Rack sold shoes that had been worn and resoled, as I thought I had seen some in there that were pretty beaten up but had new all black soles. Several folks disagreed with this, and the shoes were gone the next time I was there so I couldn't take a closer look.

I had not seen any shoes like it since then, until today when I saw this pair of walnut Daltons. They were in fairly good condition but did not look new. The soles and the heels were all black, and it looked like the original soles had been sanded down and painted as you could still see the "Allen Edmonds" imprint. They were labeled "worn and refinished". The pairs from last year were not labeled this way, if I remember correctly.

The price was pretty good, but I did not purchase them as they didn't fit very well. I certainly don't mind them selling previously worn shoes, especially since they were clearly marked as such. In fact, this may have been the highest quality pair of AE's I have seen at the Rack. I had stopped looking as the AE selection had been non-existent, but I suppose now I will continue to make a pass through the shoe section.

This was a pair of LaSalles, where the sole was done a bit differently.

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The pic isn't mine, I found it on the web. That being said, I will be putting a Topy on mine as I do with all my shoes. I do a ton of walking on concrete, and I also work in a hospital where leather soled shoes are not the greatest idea.

I took the photo. And then I sold that pair to forum member BCer. Anyway, they were purchased from the AE website and my cobbler put that TOPY on, FYI.

indigoroots

Reaction score
How are people getting Daltons with the 2/250 sale? Aren't they a "current model" and not closeout?

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful colors...and model...fantastics.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
The Daltons are only available in certain colors, and may of them are seconds. The only firsts I've seen available are in their "chili" color, but I haven't checked every size at every outlet.

soyo

Reaction score
I bought Dalton Gray color for my wife (size 6.5 E) as a surprise. I hope she will like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads