1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

Very nice! How the fit on those shell Graysons compared to calf 5 last?

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

I agree with Dale. I've had pretty good luck with shell seconds, particularly at the 299 and 325 price points. Here are my 3 pairs:

Bradley's (slightly dry piece of leather on right shoe):

[​IMG]

Park Avenue (crease on the vamps: we're firsts that had been tried on a little too aggressively. I bet I can eliminate it completely with the MDubs method):

[​IMG]

Strands, (some askew stitching on the right toe cap. I do notice it sometimes, but for 299 doesn't really bother me):

[​IMG]

3. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with shell seconds too, I think two at $299, one at $325 and two at $399. I think it helps having a SA who knows what kind of flaws I am willing to accept.

Burgundy Patriots (one shoe was a display model and is slightly lighter, firsts otherwise and no stamp on them)

[​IMG]

Truffle McAllisters (worst of what I have got, has a small darkened and creased section seen below. I was aware of the flaw before ordering them)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brown Strands (had a small dent in the back and a small section of frayed stitching. lighter color in some sections after stripping the polish but I actually like that haha)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brown Dundees (Looked like firsts and I don't think have a stamp. The do also have a slightly different color on one piece on the left shoe)

[​IMG]

Burgundy Leeds (almost like a leather scar on the toe of the right shoe, can hardly notice at all. Also was a bit odd looking on the side but that broke in)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  4. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

$299 burgundy shell MacNeil seconds today:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. There are seconds and there are "thirds". The latter should just be scrapped before they hit the market.

I once bought a pair of "seconds" from the Shoe Bank that had what I considered to be a pretty egregious flaw. I emailed a photo of the flaw back to the SA. He apologized and said there's no way those should have even left the factory floor. Took them back without restocking fee.

This was in the days before I started asking SAs to give my seconds purchases a quick once-over before sending them to me.

6. INMustang

INMustang Member

I am thinking about buying Long Branch - Teak distressed Leather shoe that is on sale now for $197.
    Before that if you own one of these, can you please post some pictures/opinion on this?
    Appreciate your help.

7. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

I will defer to the op for the final word, but having tried on enough 97-last styles including the Grayson, I would point out that the fit is significantly different than the calf 65-last. It is sort of narrow in the front/toebox area and widens as it goes out. If you have really narrow heels that may be an issue. Having said that I take the same size and width in both.

8. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Bourbon Strand seconds just delivered. They look great and feel great. The only things I can find are the stitching on the left toe is too close to the edge, and one spot on the back right that will disappear the first time they are polished.

9. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

You're like all over the map with these styles in terms of how they fit, not sure if you realize that. Do you like any of these more than the others?

10. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Is it just me or do other members agree that color variations in shell are just part of the material and don't qualify them immediately as seconds?

I find most shell, especially when stripped down have variations in color. I understand the display models where one shoe is clearly lighter than the other is one thing, but different cuts typically have a different shade in the light.

11. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I wear 10.5C in both the Grayson and Strand. All of mine are Shell though. No calf.

-Mike

12. NewYawker

NewYawker Well-Known Member

I actually like to see variations in the color of the shell. And it is very difficult to avoid. They have to use two different pieces of shell to make the shoes so the hardest part is matching the shell pieces in terms of color. I believe it is @mdubs who has a pair of alden lhs loafers in ravello where the strap is a slightly different color than the rest of the shoes. Looks absolutely fantastic to me. Other than display models affected by sunlight etc., I don't think certain variations should automatically disqualify the shoes as seconds.

1 person likes this.
  13. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

+1

14. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Alden did an amazing job matching the shell pieces on the strap of my LHS.

[​IMG]

15. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

Both "things" you point out should be no problem for you and the shoes. Enjoy them!

1 person likes this.
  16. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I agree, Buz has posted a pic of his Whiskeys with a darker strap. On my Ravellos, the strap looks the same depending upon the angle. From some angles it has a nice flair to it. Same thing with my Walnut Shell Strands.

17. delmar

delmar Well-Known Member

My Long Branches are the regular brown leather, but I have a pair of the Ashbury chelsea boots that are distressed teak, I think that's what they are. I didn't like the look of them when I got them but I got them real cheap. Just for fun or out of desperation I used Venetian shoe cream on them--and I didn't put the shoe cream on sparingly the way folks here advocate, I slathered it on. I slathered it on thick and then I repeated the the slathering. They drank it up thirstily and then I hit them with the brush. Now I like the looks of them and wear them often.

18. garland

garland Well-Known Member

Can you post a pic if them? I would love to see what they're like now.

19. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

I take 8.5D on the Grayson and 8E on calf McGregor. I have a very high instep so the type of insole really affects my size as well as the type of lacing. For calf strands, I need to go to 8,5E to get a proper lacing gap.

20. delmar

delmar Well-Known Member

My camera isn't working but here is a picture taken with photo booth on my iMac.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.