1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antb29

antb29 Member

Great, I will definitely keep them then. The second issue doesn't bother me at all, it's almost invisible when the shoe is tied. Out of curiosity, I would really like to know what caused it though. I've never seen anything like it and I tried to look for similar pictures online, to no avail.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. TryingToGrowUp

TryingToGrowUp Member

Another data point: I purchased two olive neumoks during this last sale. I selected the better of the two evils. The pair i sent back had horrible double stitching in multiple areas. I had thought about giving a pair to my father as a gift, but even at $147, they were horrible.

The pair I kept also has poor stitching, but nothing as blatant as the returned pair. I had just figured that since the neumok was a "casual" model, that the attention to detail wasn't as sound ad their classics.

Maybe this is not the case. But I'm not complaining. My neumoks fit like a glove, are amazingly comfortable, and I feel like I stole them from AE at the price I paid. If this was my first buy with AE, and at full price, I don't think I would have ever bother to try again.

But in know better! :)

3. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

My increasing impression is that AE's final inspection process exists in name only, even among the MTO's. Even Dale a/k/a Watchidiot a/k/a The Most Esteemed Grand Poopaw of the GMTO Program received recently an MTO with a nail sticking out of the sole what looked to be s good half inch. And while none of the recent trunk show screw ups have been as bad, the fact they exist at all on what should have been, without exception, show piece shoes (and many are) causes me to conclude final inspection - meaningful final inspection - is not a priority of management. A 60 second inspection would have caught everyone of these errors.

4. NeoXerxes

NeoXerxes Member

I agree with this. First quality shoes should be first quality. Tears or sloppy burnishing are unacceptable, especially at this price point.

5. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Quote:Again, really appreciate all the help I can get. Wanted to add a few points - I definitely don't need to go the uber-customized route. Not sure if I mentioned it, but 7D in the 65 last fits fine. For larger sized shoes like the McTavish or Black Hills I can use gold toe or other socks like that to help fill up the space. I guess I'm kind of spoiled - I used to be a 9D believe it or not so I could walk in and buy loafers almost without trying them on at all. I love my loafers and am really not used to all these lace-ups. But they are fine too. My biggest problem these days has always been length. When shoes are too big, I feel like I have to make a concerted effort to sort of balance with them on, and my legs and hips ache like crazy late in the day. So I think I probably have wound up with many pairs of shoes too small in length over the years. They seem to fit very snug, but my big toes are always smashed and killing me as time goes on. I was SO appreciative of Sandi at the AE Freeport store actually explaining how the shoes were supposed to fit. I was almost ready to go with 6.5E in the 65 lasted lace-ups but she convinced me otherwise, which was a really good thing. The SAs at the retail store are very nice people but to this point they have not provided me any helpful information on fit, really. I did want to point out that even though 7/7.5 are sizes they do carry, they are not in the store, and one can't just walk into the retail store and ask for like 20 different styles to be brought in. I usually ask for like one at a time, and the back and forth, trial-and-error is just way too time consuming to deal with. I use the boot socks, etc. with my Daltons like you suggested, and it seems to help, although the heel is definitely not what I like. I guess I will stick to my approach of "baptism by fire" by stretching the shoe as much as possible on my own and then going with the thinner dress socks. I'll also probably steer clear of the 97 last at least for now.

6. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Nice, any more details on styles?

7. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Well-Known Member

Maiden voyage for my Long Branch firsts

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. garland

garland Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. I don't think this is true.

9. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

Cmon...give us more than that. Do you work at the Philly store or something?

10. garland

garland Well-Known Member

Haha if i could i would.

I do indeed.

kyle

11. mrfixit

mrfixit Well-Known Member

This is quickly turning into the Allen Edmonds depreciation thread.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Here's some appreciation for you. Love both of these shoes, although I don't wear all that much. Thinking about unloading (at my wife's strong suggestion):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

What size? I love those macneils.

14. peppercorn78

10.5 3E. I haven't decided yet though. ;)

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Can you tell us when the next sale is? I'd like to waste my money on some casual offerings

16. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Well-Known Member

I agree, and it's a shame...a USA company that is standing for principles of making a quality product in the USA, providing USA jobs for Americans. Let's truly appreciate the job this company is doing, and not try to tear it apart, huh guys? Does everyone make errors, yes. Is any company perfect and error free, no. The art of shoemaking has all but disappeared from the USA, and I applaud and appreciate Allen Edmonds for taking a stand for making a quality American product. Thank you. That is all.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  17. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

I have returned my firsts McGregors, which the back side of the right shoe is curved inward and was scraping the back part of my right foot, and they will mail me a new pair next week.

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Great looking...I keep the red laces in mine as well...though I have the Waxy Brown...I am trying to remember but the Long Branch may have been my first purchase from Allen Edmonds.com

19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

unloading your wife? never thought to offer mine up on here....well played!

Please tell me you are not going to replace those macneils with the aweful black edge dressed ones...or worse those Alden clown looking wings..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  20. peppercorn78

Ummm....you may have guessed it ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.