1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayjules

jayjules Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are the two different pairs, and both were sold as firsts. Im very skeptical about trying a third pair, I just don't seem to be getting good quality shoes. Im really disappointed because I love the color and overall design of the shoe.

2. NeoXerxes

NeoXerxes Member

Wow, that looks really bad. I'd get them exchanged ASAP. If your rep is being difficult (as mine was in my particular issue), call AE customer service. They had a pair made for me with extra inspections at the factory. The replacement pair I received was perfect, after going through ~3 lemons from the in store rep.

3. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

This is some really good information, appreciate it a lot. I'm sure it's nothing like what you go through, but stores don't carry much below size 8, so I guess I sort of have ended up with what I thought was as good as I could get. I did try a 7E in the Park Ave, and it turns out my Dalton is a 7E (not sure how I didn't realize that). Anyway, the Park Aves fit like clown shoes, flopping all over the place. I had the pain with the Daltons, but after maybe like a week and a half of wear with super thick wool/acrylic socks, when I now go back to them with something like gold toe socks, the pain is gone although I still feel some pressure at that same spot (joint at the base of my right big toe). The problem is that these shoes are definitely wider than I would like in the heel. I can lace them very very tight but it isn't the fit I would prefer. I wonder what I would have thought if I went with a D.

I do always try the shoes at the end of the day and they seem to fit, the problem only shows up after walking/wearing for an extended period.

With the Jermyn (and with the Grayson), I found the 97 fit to be a little strange. As it extends out, it becomes wider and wider to the point where the heel is much wider than the front. As much as I would benefit from the E width, I think the fit in the heel would be ruined - even with the D width the heel is almost too wide for me; I don't think I could accommodate anymore. Not a big fan of using heel pads and things like that, and I don't think thicker socks would be able to make up the fit really either. If I had to go that route I could see myself leaving these in my closet and not using them again. Not to mention the fact that I don't have this problem at all with my left foot.

Guess it's not an instep thing. No, no decreased range of motion - although wow is that thing swollen now. I remember breaking in my Redwing Beckmans like this, using ice, etc. which was far more painful, and I swore that if I could get through that I could get through anything. Not sure if I mentioned, but I have a bunch in the 65 last which don't cause this problem but unfortunately there aren't any loafer/slip-ons that on that last. It's probably a combination of the last and width. Now that I think about it some more, even my Grand Caymans had this effect to some extent, although not to the level of the Jermyn. I had been eyeing the Westchester; maybe that's not such a great idea. I'll see how it goes - as much as I like the 65 last lace-ups I am really a loafer guy. I consider my Luccas (I have the leather and the suede) to be like my holy grail in terms of fit and I'm cautious about wearing them out too quickly.

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Friday before a 3 day weekend so I picked my favorite casual shoe - the Wilbert.
    [​IMG]

Chris

5. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

Thanks for chiming in, everyone! I can confirm what Owlbass said -- my reply to the promo email was answered by a rep who claimed a $40 upcharge. I'm absolutely fine with this; the shoes are worth it at full price, especially when nobody else on the planet can get me anything comparable inside of a six-month period that fits.

I just emailed Allison a few minutes ago to pull the trigger. Now I just need to find a source for silk shoelaces (ideally under $40) and my all-weather orchestra concert attire will be complete.

[​IMG]

6. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Absolutely awesome reference! Love it. Was trying hard to come up with a way to work in marty's power laces but fell short.

7. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Well-Known Member

Wearing the trunk show MTO natty MacNeils today. I'm really enjoying these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Really great. Like I mentioned before - I think natural shell works extremely well on heavily brogued shoes, but otherwise I'm not a fan. Thus, these are perfect in my book.

9. taylorphelps

taylorphelps Member

Replacement Bleeckers just got here. How does this even happen?!

[​IMG]

10. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

They don't inspect them before they go out the door. That's how. I'm waiting on my third replacement Carlyles.

11. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Walnut shell daltons today.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

Is it just me or is the price of AE firsts going up while the quality control is going south?

2 people like this.
  13. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I am concerned about this as well. There's been a lot of disappointment on the forum, especially in the past few weeks. It's hard to tell whether this is just the tiniest subset of customers who are very sensitive to flaws on their shoes, or whether it's indicative or a larger problem.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  14. taylorphelps

taylorphelps Member

I'm tempted to keep them and repair the tear myself. Haven't decided.

15. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

It's not being sensitive. Anything new on the commercial market from a large company should be 99+% perfect. The price difference between AE and Vass shouldn't be sloppiness or poor quality control. I don't expect to buy a Honda with door dings from the factory because it isn't the price of a Bentley. I expect the price difference to be in the actual quality of product, not the company's ability to execute manufacturing and put a product out the door that is free of issues.

Now the price has gone up, and all of the PR about stepping up quality, making shoes for everyone, converting the Cole Haan buyers blah blah blah...and it seems like every other post in here is about quality control. So while my sample size is small, I have to agree. Price going up, quality (or control) going down.

Maybe they have second tier "Firsts" that they save for online customers hoping they wont want to go through the back and forth of shipping.

Don't, send them back.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  16. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I didn't mean sensitive in the emotional sense. I meant it in the sense of being very attuned to, focused upon, or attentive to quality flaws or defects in their shoes. I do believe that the average AE buyer is less attentive to quality control issues than the folks on this forum. I'm not saying that excuses AE quality control, I'm just saying that it might be why every other post in here is about quality as of late.

17. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

Likely true. Also likely why AE isn't terribly overly concerned with what is said here.

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

I do think Mr. G cares to some extent. I've seen him get into it on AAAC quite often. Not so much here, as he seems to have a personal relationship with Andy and some forum regulars over there.

19. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

20. taylorphelps

taylorphelps Member

This replacement was sent from the Boston store, so I'm not sure what went wrong in this case. Yes, it's a very small issue. Even if it was visually inspected, it would easily be missed unless the tongue is flexed.

I can't imagine that I'm asking too much of a shoe company by expecting the leather uppers be intact upon arrival.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.