1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Concur. I wear my Burgundy Belt with my Color #4 Aldens. I got lucky and got a pair of Alden demo belts in Color #8 and that matches Burgundy and Color #8 much better.

-Mike

2. Jackboot

Jackboot Well-Known Member

I'll plug the new Italian-made ("Signature") belts from JAB one more time. If you can grab them on sale, they are better quality than AE's belts IMO and at around half the price. I paid less than $40 for mine. You can see a photo of the burgundy belt in a post I made here to assess how well the burgundy belt matches AE's shell burgundy.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  3. Owlbass

Owlbass Active Member

Unfortunately, my belt size is 30 so my options are pretty limited.

Thanks for the info. My patriots have about 4 different shades of #8 throughout the shoes so hopefully the belt would at least match one of them!

4. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Being skinny is the worst. Oh wait... [​IMG]

5. DayTripper

DayTripper Well-Known Member

My local cobbler shortens my belts for $8. It's a pretty easy fix.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jackboot

I'm thin and in between sizes, so all my belts require altering by a cobbler for a perfect fit. Worth the ~$10.

7. NeoXerxes

NeoXerxes Member

Just a quick update on my issue (stray burnishing on Walnut Strands) from a couple months back. I ended up dealing directly with AE customer service, and they put in a ticket to the factory requesting even burnishing on a new pair.

Well, I just received the new pair today and it is flawless - no random and dark burnishing marks on the side on one shoe but not the other. Very happy with this pair. It took a while to arrive, but AE got it right, and in this regard matches reality to expectation when it comes to customer service. Apparently the rude salesman that I had issues with was just a bad egg.

Thanks everyone for your help! Now I am wanting a few pairs in black to wear with suits.

Any style suggestions on the Park Avenue vs the Fifth Avenue?

8. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

I'd agree on merlot calf. It matches brand new Alden #8 perfectly and is close enough for AE burgundy.

9. sensejae

sensejae Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After waiting 4 weeks for handcrafting, I just received my pair of new gobi's. Unfortunately, right away, I noticed the crease (or a big fold) on the left upper leather. The difference between the left and the right sides are really apparent to me.

Would you just keep the shoes, thinking that w/ more wear, creases will develop naturally? Or would you return the shoes?

10. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

@sensejae

I'd return. Damn 16 posts since 2010. You're good

1 person likes this.
  11. mrfixit

mrfixit Well-Known Member

If they are comfortable, keep them. Looks like you just need to pull the tongue up on the left shoe.

12. sensejae

sensejae Member

The fold on the left side just stays when I walk in the shoes. When I pull the tongue, the fold improves, but the moment I let go of the tongue, the crease comes back.

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Maybe the tongue stitching is off. Worth checking with CAC.

14. mw313

mw313 Well-Known Member

I would reach out to them with a few pictures. They may suggest to have the pair sent to them and they could attempt to repair them and give you a discount for the trouble. They did that for a pair of mine that had uneven dying on the toe. Now it looks even better than usual because they refinished the entire shoe and the level of finishing was much better than any normal AE.

They also may just make you a new pair of shoes.

Part of what you pay is for customer service, so you should use it. They are great there and will do whatever they can to help you out.

15. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Took out all my AE shoes to get a sense of what's missing/lacking. As you can tell, there are certain styles and colors I'm drawn to. I have some non-AE shoes that aren't pictured (Bally burgundy single monk strap, a few black oxfords from Magnanni and Bruno Magli). I also have one pair of AE (Walnut McAllister) that's currently away, and a Tan Dublin Long Branch GMTO in production.

I'm thinking to probably stick with what I have for a while to keep the shoe budget under control. My current wishlist (perhaps for this fall's RDA) is the MacNeil in Burgundy Cordovan and the Strand in Bourbon.

Sorry for the photo quality - night-time and weird apartment lighting don't lend themselves well to good photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. The Hunter

The Hunter Well-Known Member

You may have just saved me a bucket of money. I have lost a little over 70 lbs in the last year and have run out of holes in all of my AE belts. I would have never thought about having them shortened.

Now I just need to find someone in Dallas that can do it.

thanks

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Finding a good leather worker in Texas?? Shouldn't be too hard! :)

18. The Hunter

The Hunter Well-Known Member

Ya this will most likely be really easy [​IMG]. A quick search shows about 10 places between my home and office

19. Jackboot

Congrats on the weight loss! Your cobbler should shorten your belts from the buckle end. In other words, new holes do not need to be punched - the belt will just become shorter.

20. Owlbass

Owlbass Active Member

Has anyone heard more about the Players 2.0? I emailed CS and they just told me the style number. Which I already knew from the shoe bank. I'm curios to know what last it might be on. The style number ends in 6s, would this imply the 606 last? I think I read somewhere that the last number used to refer to the last but not anymore. Right?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.