1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Fifth at boots in action...... These boots are over three and half years old.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Those look great...I still don't have any Balmoral boots....how have they broken in?

3. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Happy Monday from "the chair"

[​IMG]

4. Al Dente

Al Dente Well-Known Member

Are you guys going into the stores to get these prices? Online Dalton seconds are $339. They had a sale last week or so of $50 off. I've only followed the shoe bank for two weeks now, and I don't live near an outlet.

5. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

Most of us have been following the Shoe Bank for significantly longer. During the Rediscover America Sale in October, some Daltons were $219. Shell seconds were $325 a few months ago as well. Wait around and great deals will pop up again.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  6. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

I could ve sworn I saw a Dalton in chilli calf this morning for 197, I came back this afternoon to check again before pulling the trigger and they are gone. PSA in case they are available in other sizes.

7. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

Be aware also that if you wait too long, the deals aren't as good. Shell seconds were $299 back in February '14, then $325 last October... who knows what they'll sell for at the next drastic markdown?

8. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Well-Known Member

In a conversation with Skip Horween, he told me that his grandfather sold leather to Art Tarlow Jr's grandfather. He said Alden has consistently ordered hides from Horween since the relationship began, so it's hard to imagine Alden not getting preferential treatment in regards to the quality and quantity of shell. It's my personal opinion that AE shell feels a bit thinner than Alden shell.

9. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

It might be true in terms of priority and maybe even in practice (though they would never admit it), but on paper at least I believe there are no different grades of Horween shell as it relates to quality. I know the grades of shell pertain to the size of the hide. It could just be the thickness and quality of the liner leather used. Even my CJ Marlows feel thicker than some AE shells. I have a walnut shell dalton which is unlined, I'd have to compare to Alden's unlined shell.

10. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Interesting but that proposition also posits that Alden shell is superior to all shoemakers, not just AE, as long as shell shoes are made of Horween shell cordovan. Which then implies Alden Shell > everything else.

11. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

True. We haven't seen a 2 for $250 sale in a long time. I'm pretty sure 2 for $299 is the new lowest deal.

12. taylorphelps

taylorphelps Member

Just got off the phone with Kristi from the Boston store. She's going to send me a fresh pair and I'm sending my other ones back to Wisconsin.

The tear in the lining got worse after just trying them on.

13. drcharlie

drcharlie Well-Known Member

I wish I kept a list of the deals. I can offer this info:

There was a 2 for $250 sale on close out seconds in March of 2014.

There was a 2 for $250 sale on close out seconds, Brooks Brothers, and Ralph Lauren in September of 2013.

I do agree that there is no guarantee that future deals will be as good as past deals. I feel like $150 for a pair of decent 2nds is a very fair deal and appreciate to be able to buy nice shoes at an affordable price.

I would like to pick up a pair of Daltons and I am thinking I would be lucky to get a pair of 2nds for approximately $200. We'll see.

14. TryingToGrowUp

TryingToGrowUp Member

Partially thanks to this thread, I am now up to two pair. I just received a pair if olive neumoks from the after the holidays sale. I was disappointed when i missed the last nordstrom sale for $199. I took advantage of the American Express $50 off $200 promo and wound up getting these beauties, and two sets of shoe trees for $150. I apologize for their less than stellar appearance, I am getting behind on up keep!

Also, is the standard AE cream good for the neumoks?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. TheSunisShining

TheSunisShining Well-Known Member

Love the design on these!

16. sdfish

sdfish Member

Does anyone own both the Gobis and the Bleecker Streets who can comment on fit differences. Obviously they're on different lasts, but boots always seem to complicate things further.

Neither "local" AE store has the Bleecker for me to try on.

17. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use cream on the Neumoks. The AE webiste recommends Allen Edmonds Leather Lotion (not available on their site ironically, but I think Kiwi Leather Lotion is similar) or saddle soap for the Neumok.

Chris

18. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

All the closeout sales usually include BB and RL shoes.

There was a 2 for $300 in Sept/Oct of 2014 as well. I'd expect something similar in March of this year. 2 for $300.

1 person likes this.
  19. TheSunisShining

TheSunisShining Well-Known Member

Definitely going to check out the website!

20. losrockets

losrockets Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I've purchased AE seconds. Do they typically exclude boots from the 2 for $250-300 sales? I want a second pair of Fifth Street boots and the seconds price is unreasonable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.