1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjr4884

jjr4884 Well-Known Member

Oh god you only wore it once??? Yea... send them back.

2. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

Need some advice on this peculiar issue with the new Bleecker street. it's on the right shoe at the base of the tongue .
    I tried 2 different pair but both had the same issue . The shoe fits well though I think there is some extra volume in there (9.5EEE) but can't figure out the real issue. This could have been my first dressier chukka..

Any help is appreciated-
    [​IMG]

3. chadagap

chadagap Member

Well, i work in NY. I have to walk a mile to reach office after coming out of a train station. In a day I walk at least 2 miles... So lot of wear for the shoes. I never wear a shoe more than once in any given week. other leather sole shoes have lasted around 3 to 4 years but i never had this problem. Had i known that the leather sole is so fragile, i would have ordered the v thread sole.

4. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

It looks to me like you're having a similar issue on the left shoe, but slightly less so. Seems like it might be a sizing issue, since you've tried two pairs. How tightly are you lacing them? It would seem that you're pushing the tongue down towards the vamp, almost.

Have you tried other sizes?

5. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

Well, friends, my Carlyles have arrived and are suffering from the famed AE welt connect area issue and some strange wrinkles/bubbling alone the vamp/quarter seam. The belt also has some noticeable dents along the top line. Hopefully they can take care of this issue promptly and will send them out before my return arrives. Otherwise...absolutely love the shoes. My new favorites for sure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  6. The Hunter

The Hunter Well-Known Member

Maybe I am missing something here but I don't see a problem...

1 person likes this.
  7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Gosh, we are so spoiled by AE customer service. Yes, leather soles will get torn up if you happen to step on a rock or some glass. That's why some use topys or overshoes. I walk 2-4 miles a day in NYC, and all kinds of soles, butyl, JR, rubber, EVA just wear out quickly here (especially where I live in Bay Ridge - lots of pebble cement sidewalks). The most durable I've found is Dainite, but I don't think they're as comfortable as leather.

I even drove a 1 inch twig all the way through the EVA sole of my Saucony trainers once while out for a casual stroll. What do you think they would have told me if I had sent it back to them, claiming it was their fault? LOL.

i don't mean to sound condescending, but if they fix this for you, it will only because they are going above and beyond to try to win your future business.

Edit: additionally, I have found the butyl soles to be significantly softer than oak tanned soles. More comfortable, more grippy in wet conditions, but definitely softer.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

See where it looks like someone took a few swipes with a hack saw?

9. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

Why in the world would you wear a leather soled shoe in crappy conditions? As much as I love AE's, I live in Colorado and ALL of my leather soled shoes get a rubber vibram toppy. Just too easy to inadvertently destroy them otherwise. Plus I have slipped around on leather soled shoes to almost end up on my ass on more than one occasion. And at 5'10" and 165lbs, I am NOT top heavy :p If you are gonna wear nice shoes in bad weather (or even potentially bad weather), do your soles and your ass a favor - get them rubber toppied.

10. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about that one tiny divot on the welt?

If so... :facepalm:

If you would have rubbed an insignificant amount of brown polish on it, you wouldn't even know it was there in the first place.

11. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

You're right, similar issue on left but very light. I laced them just normally, not too tight or loose.
    I did try 9.5E but that was little tight on my little toe, I do think that 9.5 EE would've been the best fit but they don't make it in that size. The next size was 9.5 EEE which I am wearing here.
    Also tried size 10E but that felt little too long.
    surprisingly, I wear 10E in other 5 last shoes like mcallister without any issues.

12. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I went down half a size from 9 D, my usual 5-last balmoral/oxford size, to 8.5 D for the Bleecker (8.5 D is my Brannock size, and I use it for all 5-lasted bluchers/boots and pretty much anything except 5-lasted oxfords). It fits like a glove, although I did initially get a little bit of pinky pinch that has since gone away as the insole has molded to my foot. If the 9.5 E is truly only a little bit tight on your little toe, it might be worth breaking them in.

13. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, and that's what I thought earlier i.e. to go with 9.5E. But I am reluctant to do this if the shoe doesn't fit right when it's new.
    I tried this earlier with Mora 2.0 and a Park Avenue, they just never broke in to be comfortable enough. Ended up selling them on ebay.

On the other hand, I have ordered another Oxblood Strand(tried and tested size) to replace these bleecker. May be next time for chukka... (Dundee in shell ..I wish [​IMG] )

14. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Good tip. Would they recraft from a JR sole to a butyl one?

15. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Well-Known Member

While we're on the sole topic. Is there a nice visual anywhere that shows all the different sole options from AE? Like a side-by-side comparison sort of thing? I looked around on their site, but didn't seen anything quickly. Wondering if there was something shown in an old catalog.

16. moleman462

moleman462 Member

My bleecker streets do the same thing. I had an 11e that was pinching my pinky toes so went to an 11.5e which feel better. But both sizes had that wrinkle, though not as extensive as yours. Sorry I don't have any advice, but you're not alone. Do you have a low instep? I think that might be my problem. A lot of my bluchers have pretty close eye stays when I lace them tight enough.

17. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

I should not be making at-home corrections after delivery on $400 shoes

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Check out the first page of the AE MTO thread.

19. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

My friend, I am sorry that you had a bad experience at an Alden shop. I must say that it is funny that you bring this up, as I had the complete flip-side of the coin experience. I went to the Allen Edmonds shop in Reston wearing my Alden Color 8 Leisure Hand Sewns, and as soon as the associate figured out they were Alden's, I got a lengthy lecture on how AE is better and how it is an atrocity that Alden or anyone else would still use steal shanks in their shoes. Just an alternative perspective. I personally, do not allow the input of one sales associate to sway my impression of an entire company. However, alike you, I believe that associates should sell products based upon their merits and not by talking down other products.

I also want to mention that AE does not compete (price wise) with Alden in the Calf Market, but they do compete (price wise) in the Shell Cordovan market, which is typically my focus area.

-Mike

20. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

You evidently have very unrealistic expectations with AE. Doubly so considering that start/stop welt mark is normal and standard on most of their shoes.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.