1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Haha wow, the pressure is on!

Let's get the trunk show orders out first then well take it from there.

+1 on the changing the last for the Portland. Would have been better if they went 234 last on that one IMHO.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Urg, no!! That one's way too narrow!

Not that I would be buying il this anyway ;)

1 or 3 is best.

3. jfranci3

jfranci3 Well-Known Member

Did anyone buy the First Ave Boot? How's the fit?

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

A little Bayfield action...made a decision to get my boots all broken in so keeping to a tight rotation...with so many boots and shoes now it could take a year to get them broken in otherwise...lol After the EC Navy broke in ...decision was made.

Bayfield today...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  5. jubu

jubu Well-Known Member

Here are some pics...pardon the dark iPhone photos...As for sizing, I went down (from my 65-last size 8C) to a 7.5D. My right foot is ever so slightly longer than my left so there is very, very slight pinky toe pinch which seems to be going away. My left foot fits perfect without issue though. I find that lacing them up all the way to top, which keeps my foot in place while walking (as opposed to slipping forward) helps alleviate the pinky toe pinch issue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those Bayfields!!!

7. NewYawker

NewYawker Well-Known Member

Today:
    [​IMG]
    I don't remember the name of these. And they are a little funky, but I do like them.

8. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Interesting. I find the 8 to be narrow and the 234 last to be roomier. I have the chukkamoks and they are quite roomy. The promontory point is also using a modified 234 (to allow for an insert), and I also think it looks wider than the 107 last.

Anyway FWIW I also like the 1 last for this boot. It would look like a Bradley boot.

9. Kahuna75

I wish they would bring back the original promontory boot with the rounded toe(aka wolverine)...not the more pointy toed one that came after.

10. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Happy Holidays, Chris!
    Nice! Those would go great with jeans or a suit.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  11. Zzen

Zzen Well-Known Member

So the Bleecker Street's I ordered in chili came in pretty bad shape. I sent them to the CS for review, and they agreed it was best to replace them...but they are on back order thru Feb.

I was trying to find a dress boot I could wear with a new suit (charcoal) and jeans. I think this is the universe's way of telling me to get a casual boot for the denim and a dress shoe for the suit.

I was thinking about the Strand in oxblood. What I really want is the Strand in walnut, but I was going to hold off on walnut until I got a navy suit.

Has anyone tried the strands with a dark charcoal suit? I think they would go better with a lighter gray than what I have. Also, has anyone tried to pull off the Strands with some nice denim and have any rants, raves, etc?

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

6pm.com has added some new styles to their stock:

Shaker Heights - Brown/Olive: $250
    University - Walnut: $225
    Rush Street - Golden CXL: $195
    Lots of black shoes if you want to add something to your collection. The pictures are not great though.

1 person likes this.
  13. peppercorn78

That's too bad about the Bleeckers. I had bad luck with them also. I tried three times to get an acceptable pair in bourbon before giving up. It's my favorite style AE offers in theory, but perhaps they haven't nailed the technique of producing them yet.

14. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

Size just like any 565 last shoe.

15. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I disagree. My First Avenue boots are very roomy in the toebox and quite elongated in the forepart. I would go 1/2 size down from your 5 last size. I'm 8.5D on the Brannock with a high instep, so I usually take 9D in 5 last balmorals and 8.5D in 5 last bluchers. For the First Avenue I had mine made with the Independence lining and insole (which some people size up to compensate for in other shoes) but chose my Brannock size. It's still very roomy - I have started to wear thick socks to compensate.

Long story short - I would go 1/2 size down from your 5 last size for the First Avenue.

16. Kahuna75

Shell?

17. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

No, Oxblood calfskin.

18. peppercorn78

Pics? :)

19. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

They're earlier in this thread (and the MTO thread)! Sorry, on iPhone right now so can't easily repost them.

20. Kahuna75

I think when Paul described he said it was going to have fuller toebox and long...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.