1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, about 15% during rda sale.
    On that note, just got a confirmation of my shell strands just shipped out.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  2. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

I ran across this boot yesterday and thought that an AE Portland MTO in Brown Grain would look pretty incredible:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know folks batted around a suede Portland MTO makeup a little while back; given the number of Brown Grain Eagle County takers, an NST in brown grain like this should be able to find twelve folks. Stock Portland has fewer eyelets (plus 3 are speedhooks), no split reverse welt, etc. The 3 last of the Portland does not appear to be as much of an enigma as the 2 last of the EC. (Hoping @Watchidiot gets a look at this[​IMG]) ...Thoughts?

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I don't think they will let you do the Portland GMTO unless the style comes back. I remember reading only currently styles can be MTO these days.

4. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

@Goosey - as noted by others, welt is normal, wrinkles in the CXL normal. Embrace it, love it. Bang 'em up a little. Rock the red laces and have a Merry Christmas!

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Paul would have to personally OK it. Dale would probably be the best cat to run it up the flagpole.

6. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

@jbarwick
    I don't think they will let you do the Portland GMTO unless the style comes back. I remember reading only currently styles can be MTO these days.

The GMTO's appear to bring styles back from the dead; I don't remember it being mentioned as a line drawn in the sand by Paul, as the suede Portland couldn't have been discussed more than a month or so ago.

@peppercorn78
    Paul would have to personally OK it. Dale would probably be the best cat to run it up the flagpole.

You saw the person mentioned in my post, peppercorn78 - as I've told him, Dale is THE MAN.

7. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

I keep seeing them on shoebank and was about to ask if anyone liked theirs? They're not my favourite looking split toe, but definitely interesting for the shoebank price.

Or just get them? Not sure I want to wait 2-3 months, with another boot just MTO'd.

Suede and calf combo would be great, but not sure how you would split it up on the Portland.

8. jubu

jubu Well-Known Member

I recently bought a pair off the ShoeBank...really liking them so far...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Well-Known Member

I had this exact experience.
    My Strands are 11.5 D and the BB version I have are 12D. The cushioning in the BB version makes all the difference. No way I could wear 11.5 in the BB version.....

10. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Those are really nice! Mind posting a closeup of the toe detail?

-Mike

11. jubu

jubu Well-Known Member

How's this? Click for larger version...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

I see it's popped up on the shoe bank in my size. If it's still available when I come back from Vacation in the new year I will have to kop.

How is the 333 last?

Any other pics from different angles would be greatly appreciated sir @jubu

13. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

They do look good.... Hmmmm. and bourbon is also nice.

14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

If they made these modeled on the 8 last (and thus looked more like a boot version of the Delray or Lasalle), I'd want them. I just don't care for the look/fit of the 333 last, unfortunately.

15. jubu

jubu Well-Known Member

I find the 333 last to be quite roomy in the toe box, as well as a little bit longer, compared to most of my other AEs, which are mainly 65-lasted models. The Portland is a single leather sole w/ V-Tread, which I find fairly comfy, needing little to no break-in. So far, the V-Tread has held up quite well after several wears.

What kind of angles are you interested in seeing? I can try to get you some photos...

Thanks.

16. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

http://epauletnewyork.com/collections/footwear/products/adams-plain-toe-blucher-chocolate-calfskin

Side angle like this shoe. Did you go with your regular size in the 5 last? Or did you size down?

17. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

PSA: The Shoebank has a brown cordovan Townley in 9D available for $299.

18. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Tis the Season - no rules around Christmas!
    [​IMG]

Chris

3 people like this.
  19. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Looking at grabbing a pair of Gobi in snuff suede. It is my understanding these run a little big. For those who have these, or other styles on the 809 last - should I size down from my 65 measurements? My choices are 9d (tts), 8.5eee or 8.5e.

Also, did the Gobi MTO go through? I saw talks of it in the other thread, but not sure if it came to fruition.

Happy holidays, everyone!

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

I wear a 13e in the 511 last (Dalton, Leed, Long Branch) and I went 13d in the gobi...I wear regular dress style medium socks with my Gobi, if I was going to wear medium boot or full blown boot socks I would have gone 13e.

Would not suggest to size down from the 65 as that is one of the longest lasts...Try 9D first then 8.5e.if that seems to big

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.