1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Well-Known Member

That makes more sense.
    Could you take a look to see what the selection of 9.5d is like?
    I'll see if there's anything left the week after next week when I have time to make it to the city.

2. LanceM

LanceM Well-Known Member

Hey guys, got my replacement pair if neumoks (other pair had a bad stitch). While lacing the shoes up I noticed that the leather by the eylets aren't completely stitched together. Is this normal? Would anyone mind checking their pair?
    This is just the leather flexed.
    [​IMG]

This is with the flap pulled back.

[​IMG]

3. The Hunter

The Hunter Well-Known Member

they have an 8.5eee

the 222 runs long so that might work better then going up in length

4. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

Need sizing advice please...

I'm a size 9.5 3E on the Strands and want to get a pair of Franciscans -- should I go with same size or 10 E or 10 3E?

Thanks

5. The Hunter

I size the same 10E on both the 65 and the 333

6. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Will check.

7. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Does any of you know when the next sale for AE shoes is? I was on the shoebank.com website last week( and the week before that, and the week before that...) looking at 5th Avenues and all of a sudden this week the shoes are $300 for SECONDS. Up from $200. I should have pulled the trigger. Will the prices go back down before Jan 1st?

The sale can be for 1st quality or 2nd quality.

8. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Thanks, Hunter. I never would have thought of 8.5 EEE. Crazy that I'm now debating between that and a 9.5D.

9. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Well-Known Member

What color are you looking for? Nordstrom.com has both the black and walnut Fifth Avenues for $313.

10. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Well-Known Member

Allison actually gave a similar suggestion wrt to 2-last sizing. I told her 9E 5-lasted PA fits me right though my feet measure 9.5D on Brannock device. She suggested getting 9.5E or 8.5EEE for 2-laste Eagle Country.

11. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Well-Known Member

Bourbon :]

I'm wary of buying from Nordies because there have been several testimonies that the "1st quality shoes" are actually 2nds being sold at full retail price.

12. Trader George

Trader George Well-Known Member

Was in the process of polishing my shell Daltons when I ran into a slight detour...

If you plan on tipping over some cordovan polish, make sure you don't do it on a carpet..

[​IMG]

Will get a picture of the Daltons when they're done, but I've had to put that on hold for a bit.

EDIT: Here they are. Need to do a bit more touching up tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    2 people like this.
  13. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Oh no! Do you have enough polish left to do all of the carpet?!

Daltons look fantastic, btw.

1 person likes this.
  14. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

So I've wiped down my GMTO burgundy strands and AE has definitely changed their finishing for burgundy shell. I used to get a dark cherry colored polish off my burgundy shells, but now the stuff that comes off looks more like Aubergine. Anybody else noticed this?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Allison confirmed to me that Paul personally decided to change the finishing on #8 shell to give it a darker color. I believe they also now use a spray application instead of polish.

16. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

I like it on the strand, not sure id like it for MacNeils and Leeds though.

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

It looks more like Alden's coloring, just without the glossy coating. I'm not sure if that was the intention, or to further hide the shell imperfections, or to distinguish the color more from merlot and oxblood calfskin.

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

I am sure Paul has the market research to validate the darker color but I don't get it...I hated the burgundy that looked brown and I hate even more burgundy that looks black.

19. Zzen

Zzen Well-Known Member

Since we are talking maintenance, I will throw this out to all of you AE vets:

I have recently acquired pairs of Bleecker Streets in chili and PAs in black.

I also have older pairs of walnut Westchesters (barely worn) and highly worn Holtons in brown / Nashuas in black/brown.

What type of shoe care starter kit would you recommend to take care of the lot? I am more concerned with preventing wear and maintaining shine as opposed to playing with color at this point.

20. The Hunter

I would start with a brush for every basic color (Black,Brown,Walnut... could add a 4th for the chili but its not a must at this point). Polish in the appropriate colors(get neutral for the Chili), edge dressing in the appropriate colors, a can of neutral carnauba wax for the toes and heals. A few old tee shirts/rags, and leather cleaner/conditioner.

I assume you are already using trees in all your shoes and a shoe horn to put them on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.