1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Welcome to the thread! You have great taste as that is AEs finest model. I am not the pickiest person out there, but these would not bother me personally. Although, frankly I have become more accustomed to the "character marks" on lighter Shell Cordovan models. I hope that you enjoy your strands regardless of if you decide to accept or exchange. Remember that these are hand made shoes (well machine assisted)... -Mike

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. Trader George

Trader George Well-Known Member

Okay looking at the picture I'd say the colouring near the eyelets is a bit more extreme than I thought, but I'd probably still keep them. That's a lot coming from me, to be fair. Mike is right as well. But the ultimate decision is up to you!

3. LanceM

LanceM Well-Known Member

Hey guys just purchased some 1st neumoks. There is some stitching that looks odd. Also, there is a line of leather that is near the sole that looks unusually put together. Is this normal for the Neumoks ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

I would keep them. It will probably go away in time with polishing, etc.

5. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

The stitch on the instep is perfectly normal and actually where the 360degree Goodyear welt starts and begins. That sloppy stitching on the heel counter I feel is unacceptable and those should be an acceptable 2nd, but not a 1st.

6. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I agree with Tampa. Though it shouldn't really Impact performance and unlined shoes are a little harder to make.

7. Trader George

Not to intrude on the current shoe in question, but what do you guys think about the shoes I posted on the previous page? Looking back at them a third time now I actually see that both shoes have their medallions misplaced. Honestly, and surprisingly, I'm not too bothered by them, but it's the fact that I paid (almost) full price for the first quality shoe and didn't receive the expected.

8. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

LOL how did you get that invite? Seems a little far away from your home address. Can't make it on this short notice. I'll just daydream about winning a free pair and console myself at work with the fact that I never win prizes involving picking my name out of a hat.:angry:

9. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

I just checked and yes, you recommended it (along with kahuna and kentyman). Some squeaks seem to come and go. Sometimes on my Black Hills. Guess these shoes give us something to do with our spare time. :D

10. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Well-Known Member

Does anybody have experience in AE cordovan belts?
    I found their $99 seconds at shoebank very reasonable.

11. Trader George

I've got all the colours, I love them.

12. NeoXerxes

NeoXerxes Member

Thank you for the advice gents. Perhaps I am pickier than most, but no matter. Since these remain unworn, I will be exchanging them for a pair without the stray burnishing. These will be my only pair in this color, and I'd prefer to have one without noticeable markings on the most visible area of the shoe.

I'm worried that if I keep them, polishing might not remove the markings and I would be unable to exchange.

13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

I couldn't see the issue on the jingle mock shoes..when I looked originally.

14. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Brought out my first pair of AE (the pair that started it all!) for dinner tonight and gave them a quick polish. One of my most comfortable pairs - I love how versatile they are, as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My collection is growing! Oxblood First Avenues are in production...

(Note - the Parkway box is actually a pair of 9 D Strands in Walnut, the Park Avenues are actually 9 D, not 8 D, and my pair of Walnut McAllisters are absent.)

[​IMG]

15. tampatravel

Well I had a similar issue with my Red White & Blue MacNeil Wing Tips. The Medallions were matched up on my toes and centered perfectly, but towards the tip on the toe medallion..there was some extra stitching that made one area look like it was flipped up a little (similar to your pair).

I got my shoes as 2nds, but that's not why they were 2nds...my eyelets don't match up on each side of my shoe.

I guess the way I look at it, I wear them very few times a year (less than 5) and I get CRAZY amounts of complements regardless of the little flaw only I know about. In a world of square toed ugliness, your shoes will stand out! That's a good thing.

Personally I'd keep them, wear the heck out of them and have fun in them! They're fun shoes.

The choice ultimately lies on you. If it's going to bother you, return them.

Just curious, but what area of FL are you in?

16. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

17. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll say, it's pretty nice having my winter holiday attire picked out for the foreseeable future. Up until the last picture you posted, I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary. I'll say it does look like the right shoe's medallion is mispunched/aligned. The last picture is pretty good evidence that they're seconds, but I'd be interested to know what pricing that means since they're listed at retail on the shoebank (at least last time I checked). I'd bring it up. Unless I already had multiple occasions to wear them to this year (which I do) or the aforementioned squeeze told me to let it go.

18. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I have their burgundy shell belt and have had it for a few years now. Worked well for me. It's a little lighter (more red), than my Burgundy or Color 8 shoes.

-Mike

19. tampatravel

Happy Holidays! [​IMG]

Casual Friday today so the Holiday Saddles are broken out :D

1 person likes this.
  20. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.