1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Great looking boots!....and it reminds me I need to order the candy cane laces for my green neumoks...

2. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I agree very nice color on the boots and some killer photos. :)

3. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Does anyone have information about these shoes I saw today at Ralph Lauren? SA says they are made in USA and the writing on the inside looks like AE. Looks like they have a slight chisel but it doesn't look exactly like the 3 last. Not even sure if they are AE, but would be cool as seconds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  4. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Appreciate it guys! These are going to see a lot of wear. On an interesting note, I asked my SA which color shoe polish is best to use on oxblood--assuming that the answer would be neutral polish--and was told to use merlot polish instead. They have been treated with the AE waterproofing spray in the pics, and it should be interesting to see how they polish up going forward.

I'm probably going to stick with AE's neutral polish regardless, as I do not want to mess with the color.

5. James60

James60 Member

I was talking to a local (Toronto) store manager regarding this a few months ago. His response was that 'there is little incentive for retailers to expand their AE offerings in Canada, as they realize that people are coming in to get sizing, with no intention to buy, and ordering online. It takes up valuable floor space and time employees could be spending on customers who are actually making purchases from them.'

It makes sense, these stores shouldn't be burdened with a high overhead/employee costs to act as fitting services.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  6. Pete2s

Pete2s New Member

Does anyone else find the burnishing on AE's shoes comes off very easily? I have two pairs of McGregors in bourbon and bob's chili and the burnishing on both quickly comes off when I clean them with a damp cloth and light pressure, particularly across the vamp. I imagine any cleaner or polish will quickly remove the burnishing and lighten the leather.

7. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. You have to be very gentle in your cleaning / polishing regime to retain the finish on those shoes. A damp cloth can remove the finish.

8. losrockets

losrockets Well-Known Member

There's also this new made in USA RL Chukka with the same heel pattern: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271674620633?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    which apart from the silly tassels looks fantastic IMO.

Don't usually post the shoes I'm wearing in this thread but there's not enough love for the RL Slaton (terrible rainy day shot). Love how the color changes in different lights, and it's a very versatile color (snuff suede).
    [​IMG]

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Looks like the 234 (4) last.

10. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

11. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Looks like you might be right. No idea that last even existed. Anyway, that's how AE should do a single monkstrap:FLAT WELT.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

It's the Amok last. VERY narrow. But shapely in a euro styling. Narrow waist, chisel toe.

13. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Interesting. I tried on the double monk and it felt TTS to me.

14. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Looks like some calf type creasing on the left shoe. I would guess they aren't cordovan.

15. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Those definitely have the micro wrinkles of calf skin versus the larger rolls associated with Cordovan. So they appear to be calf.

16. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

I agree, polished cobbler calf, most likely. J

17. Jridgen

Jridgen New Member

I am new to the forum, found my way here from some Allen Edmunds google searches. As a side note I am reasonably interested in men's fashion in general.

Question: Does anyone anticipate any site wide sale on AE this holiday season?

I know they have a few shoes on sale for pre black friday right now, but I am looking to pick up a pair of walnut Strands for my first AE pair, but would prefer not to pay $385 if possible. Does AE have permanent prices on some items or do they throw us a bone now and then? Thank you in advance.

18. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

First quality walnut strands rarely ever goes on sale. Except maybe during the RDA sale where they give about 15%. But that won't be until September of next year.

19. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Well-Known Member

I got my walnut Strands from Nordstrom during the anniversary sale last summer. I paid $240 for them.

20. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

You might get lucky at the nordstrom half yearly, but I doubt it. Amazon sometimes has deal codes or reductions, but those are random and hard to predict. Just have to be on the lookout. You can try factory seconds if you're okay with that.

Go Hawks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.