• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor

Reaction score

hey all, today I received my factory second, fifth avenue walnut, as seen, there is a lining on the top captoe part, is this something expected from *factory second* shoes? in person, the lining is much more visible and I just can't stand it... is this considered defect?
I would get some high quality cream polish and try to work on that toe a bit. Get something with a lot of pigment in it like Saphir or Meltonian. I would try it with a walnut or cognac color first but if you have to I may would move to a little darker shade like medium brown. I really think you could cover that up. I'd keep those.

EEWithoutStyle

Reaction score
Do you guys get nicks like this on the welt often? I just got these first quality Suede Strands and I have this nick on one shoe. I also have a similar nick on a pair of 2nds but those were 2nds so I didn't question it. Is this normal?

Dr. D

Reaction score
Is there a restocking fee if you return seconds to an outlet store? I haven't ordered seconds in at least 3-4 years and in reading through the thread I understand that return shipping is no longer free but I am not sure if there is any other fee for returns. I am considering ordering 2-3 different pairs and keeping the one that fits and looks the best while returning the others to the outlet about an hour away from me. Thanks

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Is there a restocking fee if you return seconds to an outlet store? I haven't ordered seconds in at least 3-4 years and in reading through the thread I understand that return shipping is no longer free but I am not sure if there is any other fee for returns. I am considering ordering 2-3 different pairs and keeping the one that fits and looks the best while returning the others to the outlet about an hour away from me. Thanks

$10 restocking fee for each pair. Someone mentioned earlier today that if you ship them back yourself, they'll waive the restocking fee

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys get nicks like this on the welt often? I just got these first quality Suede Strands and I have this nick on one shoe. I also have a similar nick on a pair of 2nds but those were 2nds so I didn't question it. Is this normal?

That's not a nick. It is where the welt starts and stops on a 360 degree welted shoe. The joint can be cleaner, but it often isn't. I think it's within the realm of normal for a 360 degree welted shoe (especially at this price point).

Sunstealer73

Reaction score

Isn't that where the welt seam is? Mine all have a notch in that same general area. I think they put it on the inside near the arch so it isn't as noticeable.

EEWithoutStyle

Reaction score
That's not a nick. It is where the welt starts and stops on a 360 degree welted shoe. The joint can be cleaner, but it often isn't. I think it's within the realm of normal for a 360 degree welted shoe (especially at this price point).

Isn't that where the welt seam is? Mine all have a notch in that same general area. I think they put it on the inside near the arch so it isn't as noticeable.

Oh ok I didn't know that, learn something new everyday.

WICaniac

Reaction score
Yes, they'll charge you a $10 restocking fee unless they messed up or the shoes aren't even seconds quality. I figured I'll save a couple bucks and shipped a pair myself via the USPS--and paid something like $9.67 for my troubles. I'd drive to the outlet under the circumstances, but I like going there and am always ready for an excuse.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the response.

Here is a picture of me wearing the leeds. The shoe fits fine, just a little snug like I mentioned earlier. Does the crease that forms when I bend my foot seem to be in the right place?

I tend to take a more neutral stance on the "is this crease ok" questions and simply say that if the shoe is the correct size (based on your measurements), if it is comfortable enough, and if the ball of your foot is properly locked into the ball of the shoe, then you shouldn't over analyze the creases themselves. I think they look fine, and everyone's feet are different. Infinitely different feet fitting into a finitely shaped shoe will have countless results with subtle nuances in creasing patterns. I also think this article is something that everyone buying expensive shoes should read and remember: http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2013...eather-creasing-means-something-is-wrong.html I think it's a well worded article.

That's not to say that you can't decide that you don't like the way a particular last looks on your foot for these reasons. I don't like the way the 5 last creases on my foot in my proper size. I go up a size and down a width in the 5 last in order to get a more desirable crease, but only because changing sizes that way doesn't adversely effect comfort for me. Don't sacrifice fit and comfort for aesthetics. It's not worth it. You can't say it isn't "normal" for shoes to crease a certain way if they fit properly. I don't subscribe to the notion that creases can be normal and abnormal in a proper fitting shoe. They simply are what they are. If the shoe doesn't fit properly, that's a completely different issue, and creases can be indicative of an improper fit. But that can't be seen from the picture.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, thinking I need some black shell for $299. Which is more practical/versatile: black leeds or black Randolph?

I don't own any loafers, so which do y'all generally prefer for comfort: Randolph or patriot?

There was a burgundy shell PA in my size, but I already have two burgundy shoes :(

WICaniac

Reaction score
Ok, thinking I need some black shell for $299. Which is more practical/versatile: black leeds or black Randolph?

I don't own any loafers, so which do y'all generally prefer for comfort: Randolph or patriot?

There was a burgundy shell PA in my size, but I already have two burgundy shoes
frown.gif
If you don't own any loafers, I'd say that's a conspicuous hole in your wardrobe that needs filled. I would fill it with burgundy Graysons, however, as you can match them with gray or khaki trousers (to go with the navy blazer and rep tie that I'm envisioning).

So, I would go with the black Leeds. I own a pair, and they're reasonably versatile--but they are the perfect shoe for shell. In my opinion, shell looks best with minimal adornment. I'll not deny that shell Daltons, MacNeils, etc. are handsome--but I think the broguing and pinking interfere with the unique beauty of shell. I have black Leeds and burgundy PAs. The only other shell shoe I'm wanting is a Dundee in brown. Shell looks best with minimal distraction: plain toe or cap toe. (BTW, someone with deeper pockets than me needs to have all-shell Shaker Heights MTO; they would kill).

Last edited:

AIK1891

Reaction score
Summit Aves? I picked up a pair of seconds on the cheap last year and want to find more opportunities to wear them. I wore them out to an old theater during Christmastime to see a show and it felt right.

yep, Summit Ave.s from last summer's webgems.
I've only worn them 3-4 times since getting them, and I probably should find more excuses while I'm in this area, but grades come first. The other times I've worn them have been with trousers in a lighter shade than the bone. Tonight, seeing as it's technically winter and a little cooler here today, I decided to contrast them with a dark pair of khakis for something different; they really stood out.

I also saw a pair of gray Banchory's in person for the first time tonight and thought they looked good … sadly they were on the feet of a first-year student who had them paired with an otherwise decent looking charcoal 3-piece suit and tie
eh.gif

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd echo WICaniac. My first shell shoe was a black Leeds and I wear it at least every week or two. It's as versatile and gorgeous as a black informal shoe can be. I'm sorely tempted to pick up the burgundy version before the $299 shell seconds sale ends (to go with my other three pairs of shell, all burgundy).

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Whats the best way to figure out my size for the RL Sanderson? I know its similar to the Williams but the Williams has the indy lining which alters the fit a bit.

THanks, I appreciate the help.

cmd06

Reaction score

Does cleaning AE shell cordovan with a damp cloth leave color on the towel? Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I already searched. Here is a picture of my towel after wiping my Dalton in burgundy shell. How worried should I be?

The left top rectangle was with water sprinkled, the right top rectangle was just dry wiping. This is the second time I''m cleaning these shoes in a year. I don't know if I'm removing the dye. I thought a slightly damp wipe was harmless to shell.

[ATTACHMENT=8400]IMG_20140213_213545Custom.jpg (126k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics