• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Thank you sir.  I do enjoy reading and researching!

Me too. I just did some due diligence on veldtschoen construction as it was being discussed in another thread. I'm catching up to you, now...haha!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Quote:
Ah, which thread? We were discussing that briefly in the Oakstreet thread yesterday, talking about White's boots construction.
Crockett and Jones. We are discussing a MTO.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

C&J MTO thread. I threw out the idea the other doing of doing a Snowdon which is veldtschoen constructed.

I need to catch up on this Zug leather they are all raving about. I still prefer the scotch grain as you suggested. But that isn't for this thread. Derail over.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see a lot of the brown shell Norwich on this thread so I though I'd share. I received mine yesterday, but they are going back. For some reason or another I don't like how they look on me. These have pretty minor defects, some spotting or marking on the toe of the shoe that's not really noticeable unless you're looking for them. Also, no seconds stamp on the sole.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't see a lot of the brown shell Norwich on this thread so I though I'd share. I received mine yesterday, but they are going back. For some reason or another I don't like how they look on me. These have pretty minor defects, some spotting or marking on the toe of the shoe that's not really noticeable unless you're looking for them. Also, no seconds stamp on the sole.
Those look pretty damn nice. What size?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick questions to all the experts:

I am a size 9.5 in Alden Barrie and pretty much 10D in AE 65 last (McTavish, McAllister.)

If I am to get the AE-made RL Saunders, given the many feedbacks that they are narrow, would it make sense for me to size up to 10.5 or stay at 10?

TIA.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I am a size 9.5 in Alden Barrie and pretty much 10D in AE 65 last (McTavish, McAllister.)

If I am to get the AE-made RL Saunders, given the many feedbacks that they are narrow, would it make sense for me to size up to 10.5 or stay at 10?

TIA.

If they run narrow I would think you would go up in width, not in length. I don't know if the RL stuff comes in width options, though.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
These were waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday. No idea why they are seconds. They fit great and I went with the same size I wear in 1-511 and 7-97 which is my Brannock size. On the website they are clearance priced at $277 for firsts at the moment (I paid $199 for seconds). Anyone remember what they were going for retail firsts before they went on clearance? Love these!

rc121

Reaction score

I also ordered some of these in the sale but haven't received them yet. I'm on the fence like you about how they will work out for me but wanted to take the chance at that price. I guess we will see...

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These were waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday. No idea why they are seconds. They fit great and I went with the same size I wear in 1-511 and 7-97 which is my Brannock size. On the website they are clearance priced at $277 for firsts at the moment (I paid $199 for seconds). Anyone remember what they were going for retail firsts before they went on clearance? Love these!
$399 I MTOed this w a dainite sole and no other alterations through Allison and have been waiting 9 weeks. Kind of unusual that just a sole replacement would take so long, since there were plenty of uppers in my size in stock when I ordered it. But yes, I've been waiting (im)patiently for mine, and am very jealous of yours!! ;)

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

TIA.

It's hard to say. I wear AE 65 last in size 9D (TTS) and Barrie in 8.5D, and have a pair of RL Sandersons in 9D. The Sandersons definitely feel narrower than the AE 65 lasted shoes I have, but are not unwearable. They are noticeably tighter in the ball area, but do not cause me pain at the end of the day, so I would say that 9D in the RL last fits me OK. And they did loosen a little after some wear. Not sure I'd size up if I get another pair in the same last because the length and heel area fits very well. If you think you can deal with a little more tightness compared to the AE 65 last, or are willing to try stretching it a little bit, then I'd say go with the same size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads