1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delmar

delmar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    After thinking about it for a while, I am pretty sure that the light colored pair on the far left is Natural Chromexcel. The leather looks just like my pair of Clark Streets in Natural Chromexcel. Maybe I have some kind of unique collectors item and I didn't even know it?

2. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Does anybody know whether it's possible to buy a few AE boxes? I lost a couple when it got crushed when I was transporting them to another location.

3. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I tried on Dalton's and Long Branches and I'd say in the same size I had a little more room in those than my 5-65 last shoes. Sounds like sheltons would fit nicely. Walnut/brown sounds beautiful. Got any pics? I think the ones on the Shoebank are just brown/dark brown. The website seems terribly slow to not working tonight...

Edit: I take that back, they are walnut/brown on the main website. It finally loaded for me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  4. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

Alas, if only we knew someone with a connection to the MANAGER of a Nordstrom Shoe Department Store -- with decades of experience -- that could provide a professional fit and 6 month guarantee...

5. RichieP

And on the last day of the sale, I ordered .... Ta da ... A few pairs of socks! Including ones like George's here :slayer:

6. kentyman

My Brogue Suede Strand is also way narrower. I made the mistake of not returning them. Wore them the other day, but they're definitely not as comfortable as they should be. Do we think this is from the added sock liner, or?

7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Wore my brogue strands yesterday and they fit similar enough to my other 65 lasts in same size. My issue is the 65 last in eee sizes is not that appealing shape wise.

8. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

This rainy Fall is giving me lots of opportunity to wear the Kiowas. They are handling the wet usage well. (Pardon the robo-pose).

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. kentyman

To my knowledge there was never a Chromexcel McTavish, and AE didn't even have a Natural Chromexcel offering back then. But you may be able to tell if it's Chromexcel by inspection (or even just scent).

I believe the one on the left was the discontinued Brown Distressed mentioned in the outdated ShoeCareReference.pdf, and the one next to it is the Natural Wax Infused still offered today. I believe the Brown on Amazon is the Brown Distressed, while the Dark Tan and Natural are the Natural Wax Infused.

Ideally I would've just linked to the Shoe Bank pictures, but the search functionality is currently down.

10. kentyman

That's weird; I'm an 8.5D/E in the 5-65 (aside from the McTavish which runs way big), but a 9D in the 1-511. As I said, my 9D Shelton is a tad narrow, so E pro'ly would've worked fine.

As for pics, I'd say this one I found online does them justice:

[​IMG]

11. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

I think the ones on the left are the natural waxed infused MacTavish. The one next to it, is that cognac?

12. James60

James60 Member

I take the same, 8.5 E in the 65 last and found the 9 D Shelton to fit well length wise, however it is slightly narrow.

It does seem to crease slightly more than some of my other AE's.

13. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

I'm in England, and so had to order using the print out AE sizing guide.
    Have BB Sheltons, BB MacNeils and a pair of Schautals in 8.5D.
    The Sheltons are a very snug, but comfortable fit, while the MacNeils okay, and the Schautals, which should be identical, arel very slightly long.

I'm trying to figure out if 8D or 8E would suit me best.
    Too much of a gamble from across the Atlantic.
    Roll on the Allen Edmonds European store which the CEO mentioned a while back.
    Hope it ends up in London.

14. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

First time AE Cordovan purchaser here (burgundy Randolph) - can anyone give me a quick list of necessary cordovan shoe care products to purchase from AE or elsewhere (e.g. Saphir products)?

15. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

one of the best things about shell is minimal maintenance.

Basically use saphir shell cream every 10 to 15 wears or so. After every wear, just brush and buff with cloth.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  16. RichieP

Ah, the vagaries of Internet shoe-size guessing. [​IMG]

I already knew I should be 9.5/10 depending on manufacturer. When my SA measured me in May, he asked if anyone told me I had a narrow foot. I said no, but I probably could've guessed that. So, while I wear a D width, I'm probably on the thinner side of that.

But then again, it could just be shoe-to-shoe variation, too. My Black Hills can be slightly snug in width, my shell Cambridges are slightly wide in the morning when I put them on, but by mid-afternoon, my foot must spread out, because it fits nicely then. And my new Bleecker Streets have been perfect from the first wear. Go figure...

17. RichieP

Ah, let him take a dump in the house (the dog, not the CEO) and go check it out! [​IMG]

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Don't do that!! We train them to hold their business in and then feel ashamed when they don't. He'll be uncomfortable and then feel awful!

Again, the dog not the CEO. ;)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  19. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

The CEO might feel a tiny bit awful if he knew I'd forgone my dog's walk to come downtown for a visit.

Welp, there's nothing for it. I'll have to bring the dog. :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  20. Roma2010

Roma2010 Member

Few questions hoping you guys can help here.. I have 3 AE's.

1) Anyone have to buy glue to put back the rubber part on the heel? My strand's are my go-to going out shoe for the last 6 months, and have started to come off a bit. Also, my McAllister's are a bit coming out from the wooden part. Worn maybe 25 times.

2) What is the proper width that there should be between the shoelaces on either side? When I bought my Mcallister's they seemed to be all lined up and you couldn't see the tongue underneath. But now, there's about a third of an inch toward the toes and about an inch of space up top closer to my ankle (talking about how much of the tongue you can see underneath the shoelaces). Any tighter and my feet hurt.
    - The McTavish I got a half size smaller and those are a little worst even, I literally cannot wear them without it hurting.

Not sure how the sizing is so off or if the associate was just in a rush, assuring me the sizing was off. I spend close to $700 there and a little upset..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.