1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djmiller

djmiller New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am debating pulling the trigger on a pair of the Rutledge, but have concerns about the 333 last. I have a pair of bourbon McAllisters and Brogue Suede Strands in 9D that both fit great, and a pair from ermenegildo zegna that also fit excellent in 9D.Now the problem......

I have a pair of Walnut Flatirons in 9D that while comfortable, I feel like they are getting excessive creasing - a deep one in the right shoe in the toe box, and it feels like there is a bit much length there. I know the 333 last is supposed to be a bit longer - but my questions is, is this just my foot, or should I perhaps be wearing an 8.5D or 8.5E on the 333 last. The best AE experience I had was getting fit a choosing my first pair of McAllisters in New York. Here in Canada availability is slim so there is nowhere I can try these sizes :(

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. gatszu

gatszu Well-Known Member

I've talked to a couple of sales rep at AE and they tend to recommend going down 1/2 a size from your brannock size. So perhaps, you should try 8.5D. The 333 last is long but also wider than the 5 last. I don't think you should go 8.5E. Good luck!

3. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

My experience is that the 3 last is wider. I went with the same length but narrower width (b).

4. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

I just picked up a pair of Gridirons during the sale that I love (v tread sole). I suppose the football grain isn't for everyone and may be a little casual for some offices, but IMO they are more versatile than you would imagine from the AE website photos. Leather seems really sturdy and I was in a little rain last week, it "beads off" more than my regular calf AEs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ridge

Ridge New Member

I just picked up a pair a couple pairs, inc. Harrison, Rutledge & Park Aves. in 9E. The former 2 definitely feel a bit longer than the latter. I think you could safely go down a 1/2 size.

6. losrockets

losrockets Well-Known Member

7. tb43

tb43 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I need somebody to simply make a decision for me because I am being way too indecisive!

I'm down to walnut strands or walnut mcgregors.

I already have Black 5th Aves and Brown Strands for a business casual office. Please help me so I can finally order them and stop going on the website and going back and forth! Which are less flashy in your opinion? I know both are but I really want a walnut shoe.

8. bbob2013

bbob2013 Well-Known Member

I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair of Bleeker Streets while they are on sale.

What's the deal with the rubber sole? Is that replaceable like a topy?
    If I ultimately want to topy, should I just pay he up-chage for full leather and then topy?

Any advice on which way to go here?

Thanks!

9. linds_15

linds_15 Well-Known Member

what shoe cream do you all use on your walnut calfs? is the ae light brown the best match? local store only had dark brown but i could order light through them or just try and alternative

10. facet

facet Well-Known Member

I use neutral shoe cream myself.

11. doloflow

doloflow Member

Do you think that the Carlyle is too dressy/formal for business casual (chinos, slacks)? It's a very nice and sleek shoe I just wonder about it being too much for my work environment. Opinions would be appreciated.

12. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

@jrs311 those look great.

@tb43 I lean towards the MacGregors, but I haven't seen them in person yet so I hesitate on that. The Strands are lovely in walnut, but you already have a pair, so shaking things up more could be nice. Especially for a more casual color.

TBH, there's a devil on one of my shoulders telling me to suggest a walnut Sanford, if you can get one.

@doloflow I've never been to your job, so I don't really know. If, like Dre, you rock your khakis with a cuff and a (sharp) crease, then I think balmorals are fine. With creased dress pants, I'm perfectly fine with them. Rumpled, unpressed chinos? I'm not crazy about it. The cuff isn't an essential, but IMHO it helps. And I'd avoid the dark brown -- go for one of the lighter shades.

I have a co-worker who wears a pair of snuff suede plain-toe bals with (cuffed) flannels or tweed trousers, and it looks killer. In theory, it's a dressier style, but plain-toe oxfords have always reminded me of monkstraps.

13. nickatpsu

nickatpsu Active Member

I went through 3 different insoles in my shell Leeds until I got just the right gap. Insole thickness varies greatly, try a few in-person until you get the right snugness and lace gap.

14. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard Well-Known Member

Have brogued shoes like the Strand gone out of fashion before? I don't just mean have they been un-trendy but, at any point in the last several decades, have they actually been considered odd or somehow inappropriate for business wear? I honestly don't know but, if so, it'll probably happen again. I'd guess, actually, that it hasn't happened, but maybe someone who's been paying attention a lot longer than I have will be able to shed some light.

15. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard Well-Known Member

Geez, that makes three of you that have managed to get your paws on some brown grain Kiowas. There's a pair in my size that's been listed on the ShoeBank for months, taunting me it seems, since they don't actually exist. AE must have been experimenting with that model and then decided not to introduce it, so there are just a few left knocking around. I agree, they'd be a good shoe for wet days, and also I imagine a nice shoe to take on holiday -- you can dress them up or down, they can handle rain, and they'd be comfortable, I'm guessing, for doing lots of walking.

16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the GMTO cross-over spam, but I'd love to see one of these two Makeups happen before the AE sale pricing ends tomorrow! We only need 3 more for the Dundee, and 8 more for the suede lexington. That's a lot, but the price should make it a no-brainer!

#1 Dundee in brown shell cordovan with independence lining and insole, light brown transparent or natural (TBD) edge trim, light brown or natural welt (again TBD by group), double sole with V-Tread or commando - $552

#2 Lexington in bitter chocolate suede, standard makeup, V-tread sole - $250

Who wants in?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I can say this because I'm not you, but she has no idea what she's talking about. This style has been around for decades and is close to as timeless a style as is possible for shoes.
    They might be trendy right now, but that's a different question altogether.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Getting this thread back to some good ol shoe parn:

[​IMG]

Brown shell strands with a navy pinstripe suit.

19. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

Since you already have the strands in brown, I'd recommend the McGregor in walnut. Plus, it is a long wing which is missing in your rotation right now.

20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

I do believe I'll join you, actually.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.