1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Jimmy Two Times. :rotflmao:

An oxblood BS would be killer.

Peppercorn 78, I agree that those should go back, but I know I'd try to subdue the wrinkling a bit with the AE bourbon polish. It might even things out a bit and be worth a shot, otherwise definitely get them swapped out.

2. Trader George

Trader George Well-Known Member

Scotland, so a day without rain is not anticipated at all. I don't mind the water spots/maintenance as shoe care is one of my favourite hobbies. I do have a pair of MacNeils (shell also), but the fit isn't my favourite, so I'd rather leave them behind. I was also considering burgundy shell Cambridges but I'm still not sure.

Regarding the suedes I posted about in my choices, I'd love to bring them. but the weather is the only thing putting me off.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would bring some bad weather beaters, then some nicer shoes with overshoes. Leather soles could be a prescription for disaster.

Or just bring one pair, and buy yourself some Trickers country boots while you're there! :)

4. slimjohnil6

slimjohnil6 Active Member

Hi everyone!

Just scored a pair of shell cordovan Leeds at the Shoebank. Not a bad price for shell - $325.

Any Leeds wearers out there who can comment on the versatility? My current collection:

Burgundy Shell Cambridge
    Black Fifth Avenues - calf
    Black Delrays - calf
    Brown Delrays - calf
    Walnut Strands - calf
    Walnut grain - McNeils - calf

So the Lees will be my 2nd pair of shells.

5. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

I have burgundy Leeds too, but not a good person to ask. Not a big fan of plain toes myself.

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

They pretty much go with everything casual, cords, chinos, khakis, denim especially

7. SeanMarcellus

SeanMarcellus Well-Known Member

I had a squeaky pair of Ashtons, squeaked from the arch rubbing on the side of the shoe, wore them for a month hoping it would go a way, it did not. I started to research it and there were so many fixes I decided to ask AE what they recommended, before I got off the phone they had emailed me a shipping label and said I needed to send them back, so I did. They do not repair the squeaky shoes so they just sent me a new pair. At first there was no squeak but after one walk to work the new shoes squeaked. I contacted AE again, told them I was not happy with this shoe and I think the issue has to do with the model and I'd rather have something else, now. They sent me another shipping label and asked me what model I wanted, told them I like a pair of Delray, it was taken care of about that quick. AE has some awesome customer service.

8. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Well-Known Member

Your problem could be just to much polish, but it could be something more. I had the same problem with my MTO Shell Franciscans (where the vamp meets the welt). I sent the below picture to Allison, where the finish was coming off. I sent them back to her and she informed me it was what is known as salt burn. Not sure how I got salt on them at that time or if that was a defect from the factory, but they did some work on them to refinish them. I have not had a problem since. However, I do not have them stripped down to the raw shell, and occasionally use the AE Cordovan Cream which has some color to it. Just in case anything were to peak through.

[​IMG]

BTW, these are one of my favorite pairs of AEs. Love them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tdes81

tdes81 Well-Known Member

Wow those are just gorgeous! I've always been curious about those -- are they pretty much only for formal wear? Do you ever use them in a casual outfit?

10. GOP Shoe Guy

I wear them probably once a week. They are great with tan slacks, patterned slacks and grey slacks. I wear them with business attire all the time. And they are a pair of shoes I get compliments on a lot.

11. Kahuna75

Cross Posting from the MTO thread...Any more interested in this?

Ok for the Brown Shell Dundee

• Dundee
    • Brown Shell
    • Tone on Tone stitching
    • Indy Lining and Insole
    • Natural/light brown split reverse welt
    • Natural/light brown transparent edge dressing
    • leather midsole
    • V Tread tap sole(mini lug tap or double JR ...no dainite)

This is the model I am looking to replicate
    [​IMG]

So far initial interest but not considered confirmed
    @Kahuna75
    @peppercorn78
    @AndyC
    @sleepyinsanfran
    @FatTuesday
    @Stamper1924
    @csmitty

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  12. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

I'm sure you are already aware of this but you aren't exactly looking to replicate that picture. That chukka is CXL not shell.

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

He knows.

14. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member

Update on the Shaker Heights:

10.5 E on the Brannock but too much heel slip with E typically. Comfortable in 10.5 D on 65 last.

10 D was waaaaay too tight in Shaker Heights. Skipped 10.5 D and went straight to 11 D. Fits nicely, possibly could go 10.5 D but would be too tight, especially for heavier socks. I must have laced them oddly, as it was enormously difficult to get a foot in them even with a large shoehorn.

15. Kahuna75

Thanks - yes...LS is a killer in that they stop most of their runs at 11...I need 12 at minimum for Barrie thin socks..I have tried everything to have them order me special sizes including full upfront payment but nothing works.

16. GOP Shoe Guy

Does anyone have any experience with AE belts. While I have 30 pairs of AE shoes, I don't own 1 belt. I just ordered 3 of the Manistee Belts (brown, burgundy and walnut) and a Cottonwood Olive Distressed Belt. Am I going to be happy with this almost $400 order???

17. Trader George

Trader George Well-Known Member

Personally, I love their belts. I think you'll be happy with them.

18. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Check out Equus for belts. I'm a big fan of AE shoes, but rely on other sources for matching belts.

19. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I have several of their belts including the Walnut Manistee. They are very nice. I try to catch them on sale though as $100 is a lot for a belt. Then again I shouldn't admit how many shell belts I have and how much they cost, some of them being AE.

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  20. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

Agree. I [​IMG] AE belts.

The only problem is your second belt order, which is coming sooner than you think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.