1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeisuzu

joeisuzu Member

I just realized I never got back to you with pics of my LBs treated with AE dark brown polish. (I think I need to work on my shoe photography...)
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps! The polish was the recommendation of my local AE store as I was (am) something of a neophyte when I bought them; the regimen seems to be working well.

2. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

Hey Chris,

I'm new here (just signed up), pretty much shopped for shoes the way you do (whatever fits at Kohl's, dammit!), and am also in a business casual tech setting (engineering). I bought my first Allen Edmonds shoes in May.

For my first pair, I went with a Walnut Black Hills. Partly because I couldn't move out of my comfort zone and wanted to stay with rubber soles, but mainly because they were the most comfortable of the three pairs I tried on that day. Going for an AE casual style may go against most of the recommendations here, but even these are better-looking and better-made than what 90% of my co-workers wear. I think the waxy leather will probably hold up to the elements more, as you asked in another post, and I think they go together with denim, too.

Just my 2 cents.

3. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm going to give Earl a call tomorrow and see if he can work me a deal on the Black Harrison 2nds. If not I may get the Black BB Park Ave's since my current ones are sized wrong. 12D when I need an 11.5D. Plus I kinda wanted to have new shoes at the wedding. Or at least my shoes since my first AEs were those black wrong size Pas that were used from ebay. Though lightly.

Thanks for the reply. I've asked her her opinion and even tried on both shoes with the full suit to give her an idea. She still likes the brown. But in the end said to pick which one I liked best. Is this a trick? :)

Yea, it hadn't crossed my mind that it would be an option. I do realize shell is considered the more casual leather but I think even a black shell PA is not going to raise anyones eyebrow. Plus I didn't invite anyone off of SF ;) If I got the Harrisons (2nds) I would sell the PAs so come out even hopefully.

Thanks. I'm closing in on 32 however only the past year or so have I been working on updating my style. I also doubt anyone will notice the dark brown. I told my groomsman they could go brown or black, and I think some of the browns might be lighter. But all the suits aren't matching either. So it will all probably look like it goes together.

Also I put the whole outfit together this afternoon as I got my Ratio Clothing shirt yesterday which fits well.
    Here with the brown Harrison.

[​IMG]

And black PA's

[​IMG]

Sorry lighting wasn't that great. And need to get the left sleeve altered.

Just figured I'd throw it out there for you guys to get an overall picture. I appreciate all the responses, opinions, and well wishes!

4. latestyle

latestyle Active Member

Help needed please....are these AE 's ?? I recently acquired these shoes, there are no "Edmonds" markings, but...... Could they be MTO ? Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. delmar

delmar Well-Known Member

I'm a McTavish fan too. Here, I'll prove it:
    [​IMG]
    I arranged from the lightest to the darkest.

1 person likes this.
  6. RichieP

So... new guy intro post:

Since I'm a Mac nerd, I came around to Allen Edmonds shoes via a circuitous route: Daring Fireball mentioning Put This On a few years ago. It didn't really click until recently, when I was sitting in the lab and *sniff*sniff* what's that smell? Oh, it's my only pair of Johnston & Murphy slip-ons I wore every day. Yes, I am an engineer, know nothing about shoes, and would only buy a new pair when I'd go outside in the rain and wonder "why is my sock wet?" and finding the crack in the bottom of my cheap shoe (and it was always a crack that would happen well before a hole would be worn through the rubber sole!).

Enough of that. I learned I can't wear the same shoe everyday, and I since gave up my expensive hobby (flying) years ago, why not increase my shoe budget and check out the Park Place Allen Edmonds store in Dunwoody? The SA who helped me was Lupe, and since I was the only one in the store, his co-conspirator Cody joined in. As I said above, I tried (and bought) a Walnut Black Hills, but also tried on a Jefferson (nice) and a Randolph (and fell in love with bourbon). We had a blast!

Then I came home and found this thead. BIG MISTAKE!!! Through you sick bastiges, I found out about the Shoebank and all the upcoming sales.

So in June's Shoebank sale, I bought seconds of those Bourbon Randolphs and the closest thing to a Jefferson in my size: Burgundy Cordovan Cambridges! Yeah, I went shell early, wondering why you guys were so mesmerized by it. So far, I have only worn them to special occasions; I'm almost afraid to wear them, but noted they even look darn good against tan chinos. I should wear them more.

During the great Nordstrom sale, I was almost lured by the siren song of Walnut Strands, but of the two pairs Cody had, one squeaked like heck, and the other, one shoe fit way looser than the other. Oh well, at least I bought a belt that day.

Now here we are at the RDA sale, and I'm thinking, it's going to be wetter here in Georgia soon, maybe I should look into some boots. My best fitting shoes are on the 5-last, so I needed to know how the 511 would be. I really liked the pics of the Long Branches, but when I tried them on, I felt like I had casts on my feet. A good fit on the foot, but too rigid at my ankle/calf! Strike one. Next up in the same last, Daltons (saw that lovely, ephemeral $219 shoe bank price the first day). Here Cody puts the boot on my right foot and I say "you're right this one does fit a bit tighter" and then for the left "Oh, I think there's something inside this one." We pull it off, and it turns out that something was the shoe liner at the arch for the right foot. Yep, we realized in my size (10D) the Dalton looked very symmetric, and that's how we got them on the wrong feet! Strike two. Hey, let's try an ankle boot, and grabbed the Bleecker Street. I know this thing hasn't gotten any love here, except from me now, that is. Fit wonderfully (again that 5 last), Bob's Chili fills a hole in my collection, and so does it being a cap toe. And they come with the V-tread sole.

So, there you have it. Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully this wasn't TL;DR! [​IMG]

Rich

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. RichieP

Yes, that is definitely a trick!

Another vote for black from a fellow Georgian. [​IMG] It just looks right for a wedding. Congrats, too!

Saw your post about the new ATL store a few weeks back. Is Lupe managing that new store? He was cool when I met him and Cody in Dunwoody.

8. kpag

kpag Well-Known Member

Nice collection, I want to get a pair of McTavish soon. What is the fourth color? I thought they only came in black, tan and cognac?

9. suitntieguy

suitntieguy Well-Known Member

Frankly I don't see how the idea of brown shoes could even be considered. By this standard you should never wear black shoes. If your wedding isn't formal enough to call for black shoes then you shouldn't be buying black shoes to own in your rotation. Just rent a pair for your tux when you accept your oscar or something. Go with the black.

10. kpag

kpag Well-Known Member

I've gotten a couple pairs of AEs on ebay for great prices. Both were barely used and I got lucky and paid less than $100 for each. One pair was an old discontinued model in burgundy corrected grain leather. I paid $40 for them and paid a cobbler $20 to put a pair of rubber sole savers on the bottom. They fill in nicely as my bad weather shoes.

That said, one thing I to pay attention to when buying on ebay is the sole; some polish and poor lighting can hide some wear in the uppers but you can spot a well worn leather sole. If the seller doesn't have pics of the sole they're probably in need of replacement. I wouldn't buy heavily worn shoes, just try to find good deals on lightly worn pairs.

11. delmar

delmar Well-Known Member

The lightest color pair, the pair on the far left, is a discontinued--they told me--model that I bought as seconds. I still have the boxes that they all came in and the boxes are marked: tan, brown, dark brown, and black. The tan is the second pair from the left. The lightest color pair, the oddball color, is my favorite pair.

12. bradp

bradp Well-Known Member

First pair of AE

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. kpag

kpag Well-Known Member

That's odd the pair on the far left looks tan. I thought the oddball was the 2nd pair on the left

14. csmitty

You kinda lost me on this one a bit. It would make sense to only own black shoes since they go with everything. Plus what would I wear with my black suit? Are there places that even rent shoes other than the bowling alley? Because one doesn't wear a suit everyday means they can't have nice shoes?

I think he oversees both stores? But spends time mostly at the new Buckhead store. Dropped in today and got a belt but he was off.

15. mrfixit

mrfixit Well-Known Member

you can have nice shoes. But I think he means why have them if you won't wear them when most appropriate. While brown with charcoal is not necessarily a foul to most, black certainly works better, especially with regard to formality.

16. csmitty

Gotcha. I can understand that reasoning. Just wanted to branch out slightly and since groomsmen are all wearing different shades and bridesmaids as well figured it'd be a nice look since it's not black tie formal. From a common clothing etiquette the black definitely is the first choice.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  17. K. Nights

K. Nights Well-Known Member

18. suitntieguy

suitntieguy Well-Known Member

Yes, that was my point. The brown Harrisons are great shoes, in fact based on your photos I may buy a pair if the burgundy shell strand MTO falls through. But wear that combo to work. Wear the black to YOUR wedding. Contrary to many posts, it is the right shoe to be wearing on this occasion.

19. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

BURGUNDY SHELL CORDOVAN STRAND UPDATE!!!

OK everyone – this is the make-up we are trying to get done:
    • Strand
    • Burgundy shell cordovan
    • Independence lining & insole
    • Medium brown transparent edge dressing
    • Chili normal welt
    • Single JR sole
    • Wheeling & fudging
    • Brown slip bead

This is who has committed to this -
    @Polojock615
    @Cxk5075
    @tdes81
    @Gatszu
    @Suitntieguy
    @Indyoshi68
    @sungmineyo
    @Shawnc
    @hp5273
    @Mean Mr Mustard

WE ONLY NEED TWO MORE!!!! Who is in?

BTW – here is the link for the thread….

http://www.styleforum.net/t/430824/allen-edmonds-gmto-burgundy-shell-cordovan-strand#post_7434580

20. WICaniac

WICaniac Well-Known Member

Perhaps. As a rule, she's always right--except when she isn't. If she'll be disappointed that you paid more heed to strangers on a forum than her, wear the Harrisons. If she's voting for them without much conviction, however, I'd still recommend the PAs.

in addition to the other two clarifications, I'd just add that black doesn't go with everything. In fact, it's the "best" shoe in very few cases, this being one of them.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.