1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdpappy

sdpappy Member

Hello. I have a 10E in the JAB version of the 5th avenue called the Nathan, which is on the 8 last. I really want to get a pair of the Strands in Brown Cordovan. Do you think a 10E might work or should I try 10EE? I tried a 10EEE on the carlyle once and it was way too wide.

Thanks!!!

2. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

I think the 2 last looks great but is the hardest to get the right size and for that it does stink. However the RL models I have, Saunders chukka and Sanderson longwing are both really sharp. I imagine the McGregor is like the Sanderson: sleek(ish) lasted longwing with a flat welt. It's definitely kind of an paradox to have a sleek LWB, but for some reason it's one of my favorites. Also, I've increasingly found walnut to be hard to pair. I think if you go with the MacGregor, you'll find that the brown or dark chili to be more versatile, especially with a suit.

3. menswhere

menswhere Member

I actually think I've had a change of heart -- I just can't get too excited about longwings. I'm in love with my strands in bourbon, and considering the brooks brothers version is down to $150 right now, I think a walnut strand might be the way to go. Every other option is either way more expensive, or they seem to have limitations in what I wear every day the strands just don't. That dumb? Your comment about walnut makes me think I might be going down the wrong path though. Thanks again my man.

4. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

No problem man. Some people love walnut, some don't. Depends on the situation for me. Also, there may be inventory in your size of the Brooks brothers Macneils which are longwings. Likely doesn't go as well with a suit, but great for chinos and jeans.

5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

The boots are certainly innocent. I just meant that given Keegan's performance, he wouldn't be a source of inspiration for me. I'm not a huge fan of his; I think he's mostly hot air (sorry if this is offending anyone here; I hate losing to the euros!).

As for Tom Watson, while he may be a childhood hero of mine, I think the dynamics of managing, coaching, and leading team USA (and choosing his captain's picks) flew way over his head. He looked like a clueless old man. In the end, he did not swing a club and our guys just weren't as good as Europe's.

Sorry to go off on this tangent; still pretty ticked off... [​IMG]

6. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

I think you should go with burgundy cordovan for the Strand. We're floating the idea on the MTO thread.

7. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Here are my boots to make up for my outburst... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Walnut shell Daltons and walnut calf strands

8. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

I've been on the fence about the Hanover wholecut ad $160 for seconds ain't bad, but I can't get over the three eyelet configuration. It looks like there's plenty of room for two extra eyelets.

Does anyone know if it's possible for a cobbler to add blind eyelets on a shoe?

9. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

I can't answer you question but this is also the exact reason why I can't bring myself to buying them. It looks so off with only 3.

10. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

It's totally a personal aesthetic thing. Some guys find walnut to be a color that has a really narrow range for matching to pants/suits because they don't like stark contrasts. So they only like to pair walnut with colors on the khaki spectrum (stone, tan, etc.) and with light grays. On the other hand, guys like me feel perfectly fine pairing walnut with blues, navys, and medium grays too.

11. seahawks506

seahawks506 Member

Anyone get this miscommunication the first time they ordered from AE?
    They shipped to my billing address instead of shipping address even though i told her it was different. She did redirect the package through Fedex but I didn't receive my boots even though the tracker said they delivered.
    Now I'm stuck with no boots, filed a delivery dispute with fedex but power is not in my hands. Wish me luck guys :(

12. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Does any one have the RL and BB list in 8.5D and 8E for shoebank? Tried to ask from Shoeabnk but haven't received anything yet.

13. nickatpsu

nickatpsu Active Member

Agree. $149 BB Macneil in Chili Grain is available when I checked my size yesterday. Might fit the bill. I wear Walnut Grain Macneils with chinos and jeans regularly, but I would prefer the chili since it's a bit darker.

14. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Well-Known Member

Definitely yes. But it ultimately depends on the shoe with factors like available room and geometry. Blind eyelets are easier because it removes the matching issue. Check with Nick V. at B. Nelson.

15. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Well-Known Member

No, but I goofed once by giving an incorrect address (I basically merged my office and home address). I received a shipping notification email and saw my error. I called AE and they redirected the package sucessfully. Good luck with your situation.

16. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Well-Known Member

Wait, so there's a brooks brothers longwing? what is it? what last?

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

It's just the MacNeil. 7 last.

18. DesertRat

DesertRat Well-Known Member

Good morning!

Just checked the AE site and the sale has begun!!

19. kicker245

kicker245 Well-Known Member

Is there a difference in fit between the BB Macneils and the stock Macneils? Both still TTS? Thanks

20. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

It has poron insoles so it would be a hair tighter but not enough to size up according to my experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.