1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Oh well, no shell PAs for me, at least not in this sale.

My local store called. It seems that the only black shell 11.5 D Park Aves in the system could not be ordered due to large depressions on one of the toes. Inconsolable and despondent, I considered trying for a pair of shell Leeds or Dundees, but I want black shell PAs and have begun talking myself into springing for a first-quality pair.

I ordered a pair of chili Shaker Heights boots because they seem like a good deal at $127, and went home. I hope everyone else has had better luck sourcing their desired shoes!

I just finished brushing up my bourbon Strands for a wedding this weekend and every time I pull these out I am mesmerized by the color:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Those are great looking..nice polish job...also you will LOVE the Shaker Heights - one of my favorite boots

3. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Kahuna! I can't wait for the Shaker Heights. I almost purchased them a few times at full price, but talked myself out of it because my need for a boot is pretty sparse - At the current price it's a no brainer, and I will likely grab a pair in dark brown as well. I am a huge fan of the look of that boot.

I'm also pretty happy that so far I have been able to avoid seeing any shoes in the new Bob's Chili color. It looks so good in pictures!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  4. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

I had a pair of Shaker Height seconds but they had a heel issue, it was very uneven and rocked as if it was balled. @Kahuna75 do you have a similar issue with your heels?

5. Kahuna75

No I dont have that issue luckily...love pairing the chili with cords

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Love my Shakers too! I had them MTOed with Dainite soles when they were on sale for $300 last year. A steal at 127$!!!

[​IMG]

Wearing them now in my private lesson studio at Hunter College which is really a supply closet. Ah, the joys of being adjunct faculty. Sigh...

7. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

3 hours left on the Group MTO brown grain and merlot ECs. Any last minute joiners?

8. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Well-Known Member

Yes, you warned me. It is like heroin, not that I have ever done heroin, but I can imagine it is close to the same thing.

Shell shoes:

Macneil - Walnut MTO natural welt
    Macneil - Walnut MTO brown welt
    Macneil - Black
    Dalton - Burgundy No. 8
    Strand - Brown
    Franciscan - New Burgundy MTO
    Grayson - Burgundy No. 8
    Jefferson - Brown
    Patriot - Brown
    Park Avenues - Black

I feel like I need a pair of brown shell Bayfields.... Heroin....

1 person likes this.
  9. 850csi

850csi Well-Known Member

Guys, this is a dumb question, but if I wanted Daltons in a C width, I'd have to get them MTOd, right? Is that even possible anymore?

Chocolate Daltons in 13C are my grail, but I think I'm SOL.

10. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

That's an interesting question. They do have the Leeds in C width but none of the boots or chukka in the same 511 last (Dundees, Dalton) are available in C width. So you are right, if they can do it, it would be MTO.

11. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

Gin, Saphir, and Kiwi:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Kahuna75

Very nice...looks great.

Why is the toe so often polished more than the rest of shoe....is there a real reason besides the look? I see this all the time and never asked.

13. aDrummingDude

aDrummingDude Well-Known Member

I recently returned a pair of dark brown Dalton's due to QC issues. I'd like to say that this is the first time I've done so, but AE's quality has lately, in my experience, been a crap shoot. Heck, there were even crookedly brogued shoes ON DISPLAY in my local AE store when I was there recently. This should be unacceptable. I fully understand that these shoes are built to a price point which excludes hand massaged albino cows being crafted into shoes by the hands of Turkish virgins, but one would expect the wingtip bringing to at least be pointing in a similar direction on each shoe.:brick:

14. Roger la Rock

Roger la Rock Well-Known Member

Because wax applied to parts of the shoe that flex can crack and look unsightly. For this reason cream polish is preferred on the vamp of the shoe with wax polish used over the toe puff and heel counter only.

15. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

Nice shoes and polishing.

I am always marveled by how well others manage to polish their brogues, especially the toe cap while all I get is waxy built-up and matted look.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  16. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

Does anyone here know what the actual stores with code #100 and #999 are?

Saw them on the actual shipping invoice and am wondering...

TIA.

17. rostov

rostov Well-Known Member

Rockin the Banchory with a new pair of cords.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

You're using too much polish. It took me a long time to realize just how little I actually needed to put on shoes to get a nice shine. The more you put on, the more work you are creating for yourself to buff it all off.

1 person likes this.
  19. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

Shell seconds started this morning. Already picked up a pair of black shell PAs in 9.5EEE for a black tie wedding I'm going to next week. So much better than the slightly too small (9EEE) pair of McAllisters I was wearing before. I wish I had never gone through the phase of sizing down my shoes.

20. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

I was able to have a pair of Bayfields MTO'd in an AA width. If they have last in that width, they can make the shoe (or boot!). :nodding:

Just placed an order with Port Washington for a pair of #8 Leeds. That'll bring the total to four in #8 (alongside MacNeils, Daltons, and Graysons) and another pair of shell Leeds in black.

The prices keep nudging up, though, and I can't justify more than a dozen pairs of shoes unless I start wearing suits for a living (with commensurate salary increase). One more rubber-soled wet-weather casual pair -- maybe in CXL or Dublin with a Dainite sole -- and then I'm out of this game. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.