1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

where did u find this consensus? I dont believe you will find many AE owners here saying the shoes are low quality. When u compare them to C&J, Carmina, EG, they certainly aren't on that level in terms of quality and finishing. But you're talking about shoes at a higher price point.

When you compare them at full price to a pair of Carmina or C&J on sale, you're getting very close to the same price points and it is harder to justify AE. But at seconds pricing, they are an exceptional value.

2. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Did the same thing recently. Got some neutral for the walnut shell and thought I'd try some on the Dundees. Same result. This is after a cloth and brushing. [​IMG] Need some more work as well. I take a toothbrush and get the creme out of the creases. Looks good after that but 5 steps later... Did you find a cure for it?

3. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Those do no need brushing. The bumps are from dryness in the raw shell. I highly recommend that you VSC those bad boys and then add some paste wax on top of them.

-Mike

4. Watchman1

Watchman1 Well-Known Member

:fonz:

5. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

This is different than what is going on with my Dundees, but I did experience this type of dryness and bumps on my burgundy Leeds. As Mike said, I think it would be best to hit them with some VSC and follow that with a thin layer of Saphir cordovan cream or paste wax.

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

AE puts out a lot of shoes both style wise and quantity wise...hence they run into quality control issues. I think if you go to the AE MTO thread you will see the quality that AE can produce.

Similar in that Aldens main line does not generate the excitement that vendor custom models do.

A perfect made AE shoe is quite a bargain at their price IMHO.

7. suited

suited Well-Known Member

I've had 5 pairs of AE over the years. Haven't bought anything recently, and had a terrible experience with my last pair. They are a stretch at full retail in terms of quality control and styling. Most of the styles appear blocky and lifeless, IMO. I was surprised to see they're charging $385 now.

I have two pairs of shoes from Kent Wang - one benchgrade and one handgrade. I'd take them all day over any pair of AE I've owned.

8. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

9. csmitty

There are some bumps. However previously I did have lots of the creme build up that looked exactly like your brown ones. I have hit them with some AE cordovan creme once lightly. Then it still seemed like they were a bit dry since the rolls had some calf looking crease characteristics. Then used some saphire neutral which seemed to help. I've been trying to stay away from the turpentine products but if thus will help then I'll give it a try. I have some Reno so would just give that a go since it seems Reno and VSC is pretty interchangeable? Can't imagine them being dry though. They popped up on the shoe bank site and I got them quickly so must have been a recent build. Worn maybe 15-20 times since March.

10. Kahuna75

I have looked at Kent Wang and do they offer width's? ...seems the answer I found from their site last time I looked was - "go up a half size"...I found that comical. Do not own a pair so can not comment further.

I thought the KW suede chukka was very nice shoe

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  11. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

The shell may have been sitting around for a while before the shoes were made. Either way, whatever the cause - those bumps look like (somewhat) dry shell. VSC would be good. Or you could even add some cordovan creme over the creased areas and let them sit for a day and brush it off the next day. btw - be sure to get the dust/dirt off before using VSC or cordovan cream .

12. Watchman1

Watchman1 Well-Known Member

VSC is actually recommended by Horween for cordovan. I would use it sparingly.

The Saphir Cordovan Cream is incredible stuff as well and I think it is better.

But don't short change VSC, it is truly an good product!

13. harlequin782

harlequin782 Well-Known Member

Interesting feedback....it seems like allen edmonds are a decent enough shoe for the retail price, but once you start a comparison/ competition between Allen Edmonds and any other shoe brands aside from kenneth cole and cole haan, Allen Edmonds loses the comparison/competition almost invariably and across the board. So basically, if any other, even half decent, shoe maker begins to produce shoes in multiple widths, Allen Edmonds would likely be staring at bankruptcy. ..which sounds like allen edmonds, in many instances, is a value due to lack of options rather than any inherently superior craftsmanship.

14. Kahuna75

Allen Edmond's does 120 Million dollars a year in sales I believe....could be wrong but I recall it being somewhere around that number but it would take a lot more than a company offering widths to put any pressure on AE to go bankrupt. Mis-management would be more of a cause before Kent Wang offering widths.

Please give me the name of a half decent shoemaker that is in AE's category? Then perhaps we could compare better.

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

While the ingredients in VSC are not totally known it is known that it contains turpentine, as does Reno. Ron Rider recommends Reno and Nick Horween likes VSC for shell so I don't think turpentine is as much of an issue as some think. Of course used in small amounts and not too often. I use very little product on my shell and gave away my Saphir neutral cordovan cream I could get as good of a shine with just Reno, water and brushing.

Agree.

16. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Well-Known Member

I would disagree with this. A few pages back someone posted a link to a guy who did a "tear down" of multiple shoe brands, including John Lobb. What he basically found was (at least in his opinion) that the Allen Edmonds were on the same level of quality as other, more expensive brands (but they lacked the obvious signs of hand made shoes). I view shoes in three tiers: Cole Haan/Kenneth Cole/Johnston & Murphy; Allen Edmonds; then the really expensive brands. However, in terms of quality I personally place Allen Edmonds right up there with the best. They are by far the highest quality shoes I've ever worn and look much, much better than just about all other shoes I see guys wearing at work. They have a customer for life in me.

17. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

I had the same issue with a pair of bourbon kenilworths. I emailed Allison about it, and she provided me with a shipping label free of charge. I sent them to her, and she had them refinished, again, free of charge.

18. csmitty

Alright, I'll give some Reno a shot then. The Dundee's are my first regularly worn shells so kind of the learning platform. I'll use a small amount and see how that goes.

Thanks.

19. Kahuna75

Just took my bourbon Daltons out of the box to try on just to check the fit as I have not looked at them in 3 plus months. I have to say with all the boots out there I have been looking at and buying it really is spectacular.

There are only two or three other boots I have seen that I would rather own over it and they are a hell of a lot more money.

Vass longwing from NMWA..
    Alden #8 NST from leffot
    Edward Green navy leather calf Galloway boot.

20. aglose

aglose Well-Known Member

If this is true (I have no reason to assume otherwise) then AE might need more of my money. I stand by companies who are willing to stand by their products.
    Edit: [​IMG]
    That's the color difference if anyone was interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.