1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomos

nomos Active Member

Today, I received my Kenilworth in Bourbon. I like the color but I wish there was more depth to the color.
    There is a couple of tiny nylon thread ends with burnt finish that are stiff inside the shoes that I feel. What can I do about them? TIA.

[​IMG]

Also, how do I give my Kenilworth dark toes like the ones shown below?

[​IMG]
    (*copied from a post by arkane in this thread.)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Well not sure if it is the picture or not but that looks way too much like walnut- was that a second? Might be the reason as they seem to have missed the burnishing wheel. If would go very lightly at them with any treatment - perhaps some AE bourbon polish or some black polish to start. Then once you have the whole shoe a depth of color you like then have at the toe with some more black and find the thread on making a high glossy shine.

I have not done it so this is just from reading a lot in threads

Better yet see if you can find a walnut or bourbon beat to crap shoe for $30 bucks on the bay and practice on it.

3. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

What did you say to them?

From my experience, the price point is the biggest challenge since the typical consumer buys $60 leather shoes.

4. nomos

nomos Active Member

These are firsts from AE website. Shoebank didn't have my size in this color..
    There are some burnishing on the shoes but the toes didn't get any burnishing. I will order a different pair to see if the burnishing is better.

In fact, My brown Kenilworths have good toe burnishing.

Thanks for the help.

[​IMG]

5. suited

suited Well-Known Member

I haven't been on AE's website in a long time until today when I checked on a pair of park avenues for my dad. When did they start charging $385?

6. Seamless

Seamless Well-Known Member

At least a couple of years. My first pair was 375 three years ago.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

As of August. Before that (since January), it was 365. Last year 345, and 2012 it was 335.

1 person likes this.
  8. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

Anyone have recent experience with the Delray? There are a bunch of negative reviews on the AE site saying the toebox is too narrow, and some saying that it has been redesigned from the past. I'm wondering if this just people who don't fit the 8-last well, or if there really is an issue.

9. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

It fits similar to the 5 last. It's a bit more narrow, but I take the same size. Some people prefer to go up one in width

10. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Well-Known Member

I ordered Long Branch boots late last winter but never really got a chance to wear them. I went back and forth today with whether they should stay or if I should sell them, especially since I've added a few Alden boots into the mix recently. For now at least they are going to stay since they are so comfortable and so much lighter weight than my Alden Indy's in Kudu with a full lug sole.

Treated them to some Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. They feel completely moisturized now and I hope the color stays this dark. May need another coating just to be sure. Here's some before and after shots with and without flash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Olifter

Olifter Well-Known Member

You might look at the Strand.

12. sarteaga

sarteaga Well-Known Member

Check your PM!

13. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Hey gents. I already have the Mora 2.0 in bourbon. Love it, probably my favorite shoe across all brands in my closet. I'm debating whether I should pick up the brown color. Does anyone have both? There's already a limited number of looks I can do with the double monks (jeans and chinos, but I think a bit out of place with dress pants*), wondering if 2 somewhat similar colors makes sense...

*of course maybe I feel this way because my pair is bourbon- will the brown complement a more formal look?

14. claughman

claughman Member

The monk/double monk is a versatile shoe, but more casual and better paired with less formal wear. If the goal us something for a suit, I'd be more inclined to pick up a park, fifth or something along those lines. You might look at brogues, they can more easily make the translation between a suit and business casual... That being said, if you love them and will wear them - no harm in having multiple colors in the same line. Certainly aids in rotation. I put the monk above the penny loafer, a great traveler...

15. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard Well-Known Member

Thanks for mentioning this, SkySaw. I didn't know there were businesses like this out there. I spend a couple weeks every Christmas within a short drive of Detroit, so could definitely make use of this.

16. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

It seems like a good service, and it is located within a couple of blocks from the border. They provide space and materials for you to open your package, prepare and process returns, and dispose of packaging. Until AE opens a retail presence in Canada or provides affordable shipping options, this will be the way I buy my shoes.

17. fredsvard

fredsvard New Member

Hi, I just received a pair of PA in brown and a pair of Strands in walnut. The PA:s are flawless, I feel I will get a lot of use out of these.

The Strands look like they've been clumsily colored. The toe on the left shoe is darker than the right one. Is there anything I can do to even it out? Is this a permanent color or a superficial layer that can be removed or changed? I would prefer to lighten the dark one, but if that's not possible I'd like to darken the right shoe. I haven't owned shoes like these before and I'm hesitant to experimenting on them. Returning isn't an option (bought them from Nordstrom, I'm in Sweden now).

[​IMG]

I got a pair of Strands in bourbon first, but returned them. To my eyes AE makes a better walnut, and an even better dark brown.

18. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Well-Known Member

I live in Windsor and use a similar service (kinek) and I love it. I cant even tell you how much money ive saved by avoiding Canadian shipping + duty/tax.

19. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm a touch slow and someone else has already commented on it but has anyone else noticed that AE has brought back the Walnut MacNeil? I just came across it on the shoebank and was wondering why it wasnt marked to clearance prices. Then I looked at the regular site and noticed that they had brought it back.

20. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Last year before Christmas I bought a pair of black PA from the BB sale for a younger guy that I work with. He along with most everyone else his age around me wear those ugly square toed clown shoes and he had talked to me for a long time about my AE's asking questions. People DO notice your shoes... Since then he has told me several times how he now hates his square toed shoes. Couple of weeks ago he said he might be wearing them too much as the "wood" was showing through and turning brown and asked if he should he send them in for recrafting. I told him no hang on he has a long time yet for that and the next day brought in some edge dressing and AE cleaner conditioner and gave a lesson in shoe care. It was an eye opener to me that there is a whole generation out there that doesn't know how to take care of real shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.