1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

+1 on this. I'd love to see a webgem edition in navy calf of some of the classics like the MacNeil, McAllister, Strand, Mora 2.0.

2. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

Was checking out the new Odenwalk boot and I know that we always complain about the website photos, but I just couldn't resist sharing the picture of the sole. Whoever does their website photos is asleep at the wheel. They couldn't have selected another shoe to photograph? Yeesh. Or maybe they get points for accurate photos...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. watchidiot

This just means nobody can complain or ask seconds pricing for of receiving shoes with bad stitching of the sole. Its as per spec. hehe.

4. Neognosis

Neognosis Well-Known Member

Thank you, everyone. I will try a 10E on the 5 last. That's exactly the advice I was seeking, I appreciate it.

5. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Some unobtanium for you all.
    Walnut shell
    [​IMG]

6. watchidiot

Haha I'd burn Pandora for these bad boys! I said it over IG and I'll say it here again. These are AWESOME!

7. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

BK, those look awesome!

1 person likes this.
  8. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

some old Glasgows all shined up for you
    [​IMG]

9. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

A little off topic but how do you guys get such high quality pics on your tumblr? Mine when I upload them all come out blurry and crappy quality

10. bshurley

bshurley New Member

It sounds like I have a similar foot to yours. I have a very high arch and a wider foot but with short toes, making fit very difficult to accommodate. I have to get a size longer to get the ball in the right spot but with short and wide toes my toes also smash together, so I go wider as well. I originally ordered an 8E in the Park Avenues and they fit the length but were way to tight. Then changed to the 8.5 D Park. At first they were fine but now after three wears have gotten tighter!!! Since I have worn them the Dept Store will not exchange them and Allen Edmonds won't let me exchange them because they were purchased at a Dept Store! So basically I have a $400 pair of shoes that I have only worn three times and really don't want to wear again because they are too tight and I can't exchange them!!

I do have a pair on the 8.5 D Larchmont made on the 333 last and they fit much better for my foot width but are slightly long. So i guess my point is take the time to go to a AE retail store because, in my experience, AE will not help you out if they were purchased at a department store!

11. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

This might be a better thread for tumblr questions: http://www.styleforum.net/t/263244/post-sf-tumblrs/0_20

If you're using mobile mine often look crappy on my phone but if you look via a computer they look fine.

12. winorshoes

winorshoes Member

When I become King and get my own Castle, I will have to order me a pair of these. Until that day, I will pass...[​IMG]

13. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

When I become King and have my own castle, I probably go bespoke.

14. Eric Pease

Eric Pease Member

to me the irregularity is the beauty of handmade goods. I just recently watched the youtube video of Ernest Borgnine touring the Allen Edmonds factory and I'm in awe of the folks who make these shoes.

and I grew up in the 60's/early 70's in the shadow of the Bedford Shoe Co. in Lititz PA. Walking home from school everyday, I'd pass the factory windows filled with local women making shoes. We'd always wave, smile, say hello and laugh everyday. And they always wanted to see my report card on report card days :) I guess I think of those wonderful women when I lace up my AE's.

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Just wait until January. They'll be on clearance as boot season ends. They're kind of growing on me. Would be I for a pair black if they didn't have the wings.

16. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

When clearly poor stitching that deviates from the stitching channel is considered "beauty," we've been lulled into some seriously low expectations.

1 person likes this.
  17. winorshoes

winorshoes Member

I actually agree with Eric on this one. The stitching is not out of the channel. The wheeling is just a little closer to the stitching channel than the rest of the shoe. I don't think that would affect the wear at all but it does show that the work is done by humans and is not made by a robot. If that was considered a defect, I would hope all my seconds only had that problem. I usually walk on my soles more than I look at them. [​IMG] USA! USA! USA!

1 person likes this.
  18. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Stitching seems sloppy, but I've seen many firsts come like this. Once you wear them, they all look and function the same, as long as the stitching doesn't come too close to the edge after wear.

The most glaring issue (and it's purely cosmetic) is the toplift. It's grossly off center.

1 person likes this.
  19. bshurley

bshurley New Member

How does the 511 last for the Dalton fit in comparison to the 65 and 333 lasts? I have found that the 65 D is too narrow and need to move to an E or EE but on the 333 the D is just right!

20. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

The 511 is roomier in the toe box area. I have not worn a 333 Lasted shoe, but given a tight fit or even an E width on a 65 last, I would still try the D first on a 511 shoe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.