1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeebs

thebeebs Well-Known Member

Alden makes better shoes, but AE has Four Seasons-like service.

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Burgundy Delrays, please mind the chinos:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

What do you guys recommend for shoes that are too roomy?

I tried the blue inserts AE offers but that took up too much room… any other thoughts? Dr. Scholls has pillow inserts, anyone use those?

4. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

I might have stumbled on a pair of the truffle. Very excited, still need to decide on the fit. Pictures coming soon

5. YoungSweet

I have a fair share of shoes that didn't fit well, I usually start with tongue pad, if I feel like the foot needs to be push back so the ball hits the wildest part of the shoe. If the foot is too far back, then comes the heel pad. If the shoe has too much volume, then will need to play with inserts. I only have to use the thin white inserts that I get from a SA from Nordstrom. I think AE has a thin green insert on the website for about $40 but I have yet to try.
    At the end of the day, it's so much better just to get re measured and get something that fits.

1 person likes this.
  6. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

This doesn't get much love here but it's perfect for southeast Asia's monsoon season. Work well in a gas plant environment too.
    [​IMG]

7. YoungSweet

9.5B burg cordovan Dalton available at the shoebank, only if that's my size

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  8. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

I have been waiting to get a Dalton in Burg Cord...but decided to hold off do to the new releases coming out eventually and I grabbed a very burgundy shell pair of Alden for J Crew Captoe lightly used. Also wanted to see what a slightly broken in Barrie last felt like...hoping it fits...if not it will be on the trading block...as I have my eyes on an Alden Burg cord Norwegian toe boot too... and then of course there is that Vass boot which I may not be able to get as they max out at UK 45 for size and may not fit my 12-13 D/E foot.

If that happens then I still may MTO the Dalton version I was planning before the MTO program went away. Started eyeing up more shoes to push out the door to make room....

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

JAB AEs still discounted to $258. I really like the McClain, but am under a strict "no more oxfords" edict.

10. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Cappuccino Bayfield today

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Well-Known Member

Isn't AE phasing out its shell offerings? And only having them be MTO?

12. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

By MTO they only mean that they make them when they get ordered. They won't have uppers laying around waiting to be finished like they do with calf shoes. They are not phasing them out.

13. evilWagon

evilWagon Well-Known Member

I would imagine that would reduce the shell seconds we will see also though if they're not making them on spec.

14. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I don't think so. They are still a stock shoe that will be available to anyone to purchase from a store or the website.

15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

so essentially for 5+ months out of the year(normal years) I am a shorts guy...while not high fashion clearly, simply the most comfortable pair of "dress" shorts if you will are the Haggar Cool 18 shorts with a special hidden little expandable waist feature. I probably have 13-15 different colors(great summer colors) - see link below- I wear them with summer colored t-shirts, tommy bahama shirts, RL polo's etc, some button downs.

I have been wearing my suede blue spiaggias, tan suede strandmoks, Addisons, Clark Street and shell Randolph's(button down shirts) with them this summer. Is adding the Neumok's Blue and Olive into the mix a bit much - I sort of feel the somewhat distressed leather and single soles lend them to be ok. Guess what I am saying is I look goofy enough in general are those shoes sending me over the line to idiot nation?

Those shoes just are not getting worn enough during the other months to warrant keeping if I don't mix them in the summer rotation.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Haggar-Gabard...7857247&sr=8-2&keywords=haggar+cool+18+shorts

16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Not that I'm eager to see another mans legs, but do you happen to have any photos of those shorts w the Spiaggias? I've been trying to pull that look off all summer but it never looks right to my eyes. Maybe I just don't have the chops.

17. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

I contacted AE yesterday about Dundee in brown. They told me that lead time is 8-12 weeks.

18. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

My last mto shell pair of shoes came yesterday, 3 weeks after I placed the order. Recent shell Dalton build was also quoted the same lead time but were done in 4 weeks.

As a year round estimate, 8-12 weeks keeps us off their back. But seasonally, the coming RDA sale will push build times to 8+ weeks, but for the rest of the year they seem consistently below 8 weeks.

19. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

That's great to hear. My last MTO was confirmed July 31st, so I could possibly have them within the next couple weeks.

What was your last pair? Pics?

20. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Shell Strand MTO's today. Finally getting some good glow out of these.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.