1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evolved

evolved Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's been answered, but the search function isn't the greatest in this forum.

How is the fit of the Kenilworth compared to other 5-65 lasted shoes such as the Strand? Is it worth going down 0.5 due to the construction of the shoe (blucher vs bal)?

2. mrfixit

mrfixit Well-Known Member

Also Kenwood in black and brown pebble grain, football leather , and maybe more
    chukka in football leather
    i believe they do also make a gatsby shoe for bb as i've seen it on some seconds lists
    cronmok.

3. Loucks

Loucks Member

I tried them both on in store recently and was the same size, but I do overpronate which can cause sizing issues so YMMV.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

My MacNeils have been recrafted. They mixed up the welt color (it had been black and I asked for chili). But oh well. Still looks respectable. Looking forward to wearing them again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  5. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Quote:Thats annoying. There was a pair in my size (I think I asked about them last closeout sale) but assumed they wouldn't be included like the sale in March. And now they appear to be gone. Got a SA checking though. To help me sleep better I'll assuming they had a big cut in them.

6. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Looks great!

Why does AE seem to be so bad with respect to getting the welt color correct. It seems that more than a few pairs in the MTO thread ended up with that being an issue.

7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

shell Randolf's today..these are still gunked with AE stuff...and they are staying that way till the Mac method does the job over time
    [​IMG]

Put several miles on my Addisons the other night and they are terrific...a great no sock wearing shoe

8. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

@peppercorn That welt looks fairly chili-ish...what color is it?

9. peppercorn78

Also, from the pic it looks like the have me the combo heel, when I asked for the full rubber toplift. Ah well

10. peppercorn78

Maybe it's the lighting, but looks walnut or even natural, just like the welt on the Voyagers I'm wearing.

11. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

That is brutal in my opinion, I really do not understand how someone is not looking over the form and noticing errors like that. It makes me so nervous to send in my sun faded Leeds, I just have a feeling they would refinish the uppers even though I would not want them to.

With that all being said I do think they look awesome, and I really like the dovetail heel.

12. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

Adding Kenwood and Cronmok. The chukka doesn't look like AE to me, and the Gatsby is a Peal & Co. version, not the AE Gatsby.

13. Jackboot

Jackboot Well-Known Member

I've been purchasing 5-last shoes (Strand, PA, etc) in 10.5D. This made sense to me as all the casual shoes I've ever purchased are somewhere between size 10-11 (and, of course, standard D width).

However, I was recently measured on a Brannock device and was found to be a 12B.

Have I been buying the wrong size of shoe from AE? In other words, does the extra width in a 10.5D compensate for the fact that my feet are actually a size 12 in length?

I want to buy a few more pairs from the shoebank, and now I'm wondering if I should be looking at the 12B listings instead of the 10.5D listings. I wish I had an AE outlet somewhere nearby so I could try on multiple sizes/lasts, but unfortunately that's not an option.

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Very few people from what I have found reading these pages take the 65 last in their measured size...for me I measure 13E on a Bran and wear 12 eee on 65 lasted Balmorals and 12e or ee in blutchers...

15. mrfixit

i own the chukka. purchased from the shoe bank. :)

i just noticed you are a fellow austinite. greetings!

1 person likes this.
  16. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Is the 2 for $300 sale active? Has anyone had luck in getting discounts on shoes which are priced at $149 prior to the sale? I mean, I understand the 2 for $300 can be a really good deal for shoes priced over $150, but there are some models I'm interested in which always seem to be priced at $149.

17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Part of the Brannock measurement is the heel to arch measurement. I suspect this is what is a 12 for you, while your overall foot length may be a little shorter. I have this issue as my heel to arch is a 12, but my overall length is a 11.5.

Try the 12B and see how it compares. Not much else you can do other than try them on and see what fits best.

18. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Quote:Can you throw up a pic of it. Saw some at the shoe bank and wondering which ones they were.

19. indigoroots

indigoroots Well-Known Member

It looks like Nordstrom Strands are made on a different last than the AE Strands (picked up off Amazon).

1) Nordstrom's version has a noticeably larger (both longer and wider) toe-box, with the brogueing further from the tip

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2) Nordstrom version has a longer and wider heel

[​IMG]

Has this been discussed in the past? Do we have any insight on why the Nordstrom and AE versions are so different?

20. mrfixit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.