1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

If you're going to buy boots to do all that stuff, why not just go for red wings...

2. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photos and posts. I ended up going with my gut and pulled the trigger on the JCrew x Alden boots. I actually was looking to buy them a few weeks ago in a size 10, but none were available online. I even contemplated buying a lightly used pair from the Bay but reconsidered. Over the weekend I noticed that a pair of 10's became available again (one pair only); so I reasoned that I have to take a chance to buy these now while I could. The fact that they are lined, have a thicker sole, and cost less too didn't hurt. Hopefully they are in good shape and not beat up. Hopefully the size works out.

The Wolverines are gorgeous, but I think I'll have another bite at the apple if I really want them down the line or if I'm not happy with the Aldens when they arrive. I know Cold Iron is a fan of the shell being unlined, but reading about toe cap deformities only reaffirmed my hesitancy to purchase $750 unlined cordovan boots after reading that AE will no longer produce MTOs in that manner.

3. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

4. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

There was also tan saddle Elgin on a double sole.

5. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  6. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

7. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

Wow, this thread has been quite quiet, I thought we have a sale coming up.

8. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with a ton of people getting a DNS redirection error when they try to get on the website. Obviously I made it on now, at my work computer, but before I left for work this morning I was getting the error on my laptop at home.

3 people like this.
  9. Loucks

Loucks Member

Is it safe to assume that the Labor Day sale Aug 21st to Sep 1st will include discounts on some current production 2nds, or should I settle for the unimpressive closeout 2nds in my size?

Not that the Fifth St boot is really all that bad for $150. I'll just feel like a bit of a dandy.

10. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

Has the 2 for $300 sale started? Does it apply to everything ex shell?

11. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

1. I heard it starts Thursday, but you could just call an outlet and ask

2. It's usually just closeout styles (discontinued models) and the Brooks Brothers versions of stuff

1 person likes this.
  12. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

Just ordered an awesome shoe - a black sharkskin Patriot! I'm excited...

2 people like this.
  13. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

Before I offer up a classified in the marketplace, I thought I'd give my fellow AE fans right of first refusal:

I bought Walnut Calf Dalton firsts in 8.5D and 9D to find the right size, but I think 8.5E might be a better fit for me. If anyone is interested in either size, send me a PM.

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

You like-a de shark, eh?

Where did you find such a beast?

15. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

Allison

16. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

I wore nothing but Red Wings for more than 30 years, the Vasque Sundowner. From the mid 70's until 10 years ago I wore them for everything everywhere and around the world, hunting, hiking, etc. Then the last pair I bought the soles delaminated in the first month. Found out later that Red Wing had moved production from Italy to China and ruined the best boot ever made IMO. It sent me in search of a replacement and I decided to start wearing different boots for various activities. The RW boot that most on here wear is no different than the 744 1K, bayfield, etc.
    [​IMG]

They all handle light duty about the same, and I purchase footwear to wear. Small stream trout fishing isn't the same as busting brush with the dog for 8-12 miles a day looking for ruff grouse. The mainstream RW boot is a work boot with a composite or steel toe, not really made for hiking or load bearing use like packing an elk or carrying a pack. The RW Irish Setter line is the hunting line and they are the general run of the mill made in China boots. When I know I am going to need a medium to heavy duty boot I do wear boots designed for that purpose. But they are not RW boots. I do go to Red Wing often to shoot bald eagles and wear my RW Beckman's there though.

Juvi and 5 others in the background
    [​IMG]

Closest I have stalked to one yet
    [​IMG]

The town of Red Wing is behind this bluff
    [​IMG]

I'm excited and they are not even mine LOL! Can't wait to see pictures of those bad boys when you get them...

17. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

I feared the worst when I read this, but then I looked at the photos . . .

19. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Awesome. I've tried my hand at birding but it's only ever been with subjects close to the house, or when something lands close to me when I'm shooting out and about with the 70-200. I have always admired those with the time and dedication required to do it right. :slayer:

20. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Brown shell Patriots today.

I never truly appreciated shell until I spent this weekend working on my Patriots and Daltons with the brush and Reno. The patina is something to behold. I'm really looking forward the Alden x JCrew boots. I'm also looking forward to adding more; maybe some burgundy shell Patriots and Bradleys too. Wish AE would add a brown shell cordovan boot in the collection - if not, I may be forced to add the Wolverine 744s after all.

The bug has bitten. I'm a goner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.