1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I think Walnut looks terrific with Navy or Gray suits or trousers.

1 person likes this.
  2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

They're going to revamp and relaunch the Independence line. Just exactly how is anyone's guess.

3. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I really hope that they add the Strand to their collection, they can call it "The Mdubs" hehe... :)

I actually asked if they could put my name on the inside of my MTO Strands... But alas, they are just Strands.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  4. peppercorn78

You could always remove that plate on the sole, and replace it with an engraved one!

5. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would just rather have it done for free with my MTO, that way I can dedicate more funds towards my shoes...

-Mike

6. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Well-Known Member

I would absolutely do it. He admires something about you - something I could never say about my own dad. Is do this for my son in a heartbeat.

1 person likes this.
  7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

The LWB has always been a special shoe for me, at least in my mind. I will do a MTO in burgundy (with exposed brass eyelets of course!) eventually not sure about welt and sole though. A gentleman on here recently had a MTO MacNeil in cappuccino shell for sale. AE did the welt and sole wrong on it, different than what he specified so they were never worn and sat in his closet. He was generous enough to sell them to me and I fully expected to send them in to have the welt and sole redone. As I was packing them up to send in my girlfriend asked what I was doing and I told her. She replied with all the woodworking I do why don't I just sand the "wood" down and do it myself. I laughed and said it wasn't wood it is leather, and I had no intention of making a mistake on such a rare and beautiful shoe. Unfortunately she knows how to push my buttons and after a few minutes conversation....

As AE made them (not to MTO specs)
    [​IMG]

I taped the uppers to protect them and sanded using a foam backing block. Started at 100-150-220 then finished with 400. Wiped them down with a microfiber rag and acetone.
    [​IMG]

It is hard going from dark to light, the dye from the factory penetrates different thickness throughout the sole. I took it down quite a bit. When I took the tape off a lot of the finish came off with it, they have a lot of cream on them yet. A session with Renovateur and then the Mac method cleaned them up a lot. Then I used 4 thin coats of AE neutral heel and edge dressing letting it thoroughly dry between coats. The edge dressing darkened them quite a bit. The finished results are very much a unique antique look that I like. Have to see how they hold up long term but I had already planned on sending them in so nothing lost except time, a little sandpaper, and sweat. The hardest part was that when I finished I had to listen to "I told you so" from my girlfriend.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Well-Known Member

:D From my small phone screen, it looks like you did pretty good job!

9. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

10. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

Quote:Originally Posted by Cold Iron [​IMG]

The LWB has always been a special shoe for me, at least in my mind. I will do a MTO in burgundy (with exposed brass eyelets of course!) eventually not sure about welt and sole though. A gentleman on here recently had a MTO MacNeil in cappuccino shell for sale. AE did the welt and sole wrong on it, different than what he specified so they were never worn and sat in his closet. He was generous enough to sell them to me and I fully expected to send them in to have the welt and sole redone. As I was packing them up to send in my girlfriend asked what I was doing and I told her. She replied with all the woodworking I do why don't I just sand the "wood" down and do it myself. I laughed and said it wasn't wood it is leather, and I had no intention of making a mistake on such a rare and beautiful shoe. Unfortunately she knows how to push my buttons and after a few minutes conversation....

As AE made them (not to MTO specs)
    [​IMG]

I taped the uppers to protect them and sanded using a foam backing block. Started at 100-150-220 then finished with 400. Wiped them down with a microfiber rag and acetone.
    [​IMG]

It is hard going from dark to light, the dye from the factory penetrates different thickness throughout the sole. I took it down quite a bit. When I took the tape off a lot of the finish came off with it, they have a lot of cream on them yet. A session with Renovateur and then the Mac method cleaned them up a lot. Then I used 4 thin coats of AE neutral heel and edge dressing letting it thoroughly dry between coats. The edge dressing darkened them quite a bit. The finished results are very much a unique antique look that I like. Have to see how they hold up long term but I had already planned on sending them in so nothing lost except time, a little sandpaper, and sweat. The hardest part was that when I finished I had to listen to "I told you so" from my girlfriend.
    [​IMG]

They turned out pretty damn well! Hope you like your new MacNeils!

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

They look amazing!! Great work!!

12. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I am tempted to pick these up, probably would work with a tongue pad. The dent on the left cap and the black edge is bugging me (though it looks like they are almost ready for a recraft so the edge can be changed then).

13. htjouster

htjouster Active Member

Grabbed a pair about 2 months ago. Got them because they're on the same last as the Patriot, which is the only loafer I've found that fits my flat foot/narrow heel. Fit on these isn't quite as good in the heel, as they use a full heel counter (which isn't in the Patriots). Overall, though, I kike them as a biz casual loafer. At a CLE conference down in Florida this weekend, and these were the loafers I brought. Hope this helps.

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Yes I do, very much so! Thank you good sir [​IMG] Been wearing them around the house for a couple of hours in the evening all week, look forward to shifting colors and getting underway with my new gunboats next week.

That is a unicorn if there ever was one! I had no idea AE had ever done a whiskey shell anything before. Yeah if only they were my size...

1 person likes this.
  15. peppercorn78

CI, those are absolutely epic. I really, really want a pair!!! If Mac is the king of shell, you're the Prince for sure. Deliberately unspoilered for unbridled (pun intended) awesomeness.

16. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

This is my size and I'm really tempted. Was holding back on any purchase while waiting for RDA sale but this is really testing my resolve.

17. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

18. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I guess the Sanfords are coming to live with me. It's worth a shot since it might be my only chance for some lighter shell from AE.

19. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

I should get a commission!

20. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Hell of a PSA, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.