1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harryd14

Harryd14 Member

not sure on the sizing, but just wanted to let you know they are beautiful! got a pair myslef :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

I think the relevant point is that you were in your shoes and or on your feet for 14 hours without a break. Nothing to do with them being strands.

3. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

What's the sizing like on the McGraw (4 last)?

I'm trying to figure out if an 8eee can work. I wear an 8.5d in the 1 last and and 8d or 8e in the 5 last.

A pair in truffle cordovan is sitting at the shoebank tempting me but I don't know anything about the 4 last.

4. FreedBird

FreedBird Well-Known Member

It fits similar to the 7 last, but with more room in the toebox. I would avoid the 8 3E, especially considering it is a loafer your heels will most likely be swimming in those shoes.

5. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice!

6. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

I recently wore the walnut shell Strands to a friend's wedding, and I was so taken by their shine after a simple light brushing that I had to take a picture.

[​IMG]

I absolutely love these shoes!

As always, I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

2 people like this.
  7. IndianaGeo

IndianaGeo Well-Known Member

To the AE fans: I've just scored 2 pairs of walnut Strands and one black pair of Park Avenues from the Nordstrom sale. If you had to choose an alternative color for the Park Avenue, what would it be? I'm thinking of picking one more pair. I'd wear them mainly for work (banking). What would you guys recommend? Do not be confined only to the colors Nordstrom is offering during their sale for this question.. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Kind Regards,
    IG

8. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Those are a grail shoe for me, beautiful. Enjoy them!

9. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Burzan!

10. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Burgundy or dark brown. Either color works as they are equally versatile. A McAllister of Fifth Avenue in other color is another option as well to mix things up.

Can I ask why you got two pairs of walnut strands? I'd say walnut strands are on the casual side of the banking shoe spectrum and actually is the worst in terms of versatility. I find it hard to wear with dark colored suits.

11. Style and Pace

Style and Pace Active Member

12. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Walnut Strands fulfilled & sold by Amazon are $240 at the moment.

13. IndianaGeo

IndianaGeo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions Teal. I did, in fact, purchase the two Strands mainly for casual/dress casual purposes (I just couldn't pass up that sale so bought two pair). I didn't mean to imply that these were shoes I'd wear regularly to the job, but perhaps I did. I like the burgundy on the McAllisters so maybe I'll go with that, even if at full price if Nordstrom doesn't have that color in the sale. Thanks again.

Cheers,
    IG

14. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Well-Known Member

What he said. Why not one pair in Bourbon or Brown and one pair in Walnut? AE shoes of are such high quality it's not like one pair will be trashed in a year.

15. indigoroots

indigoroots Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  16. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

I also grabbed a (flawless) pair of truffle shell McGraw from the Shoebank. It accommodates my high instep very well but it is my same size as my other AE shoes. It' and the RL branded Singleton are their only loafer that work for me.

And they are looking spectacular in the sunlight.

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Ok Shell Wizards. I have a few issues with my beloved cordovan Kenilworths(es?)

These were my first MTOs, only 7 months if use. No trauma. Worn maybe 20 times total.

This blemish. Didn't notice it for a while. Then thought it was maybe just a bump in the hide. Now it looks like a small tear in the leather. What should I do at this point? Call Allison? Since I didn't notice this out of the box, it might not be "their problem" after 7 months. Find a competent cobbler that will repair shell? How can I get such a specialized recommendation?

[​IMG]

Less serious issue. The metal eyelets are starting to discolor the leather on the hide. I've tried to brush and buff away to no avail. Wet rag doesn't work, neither does Reno. Anyone else have this issue?

[​IMG]

Also, none of my other shell shoes seem as rough, bumpy, or dare I suggest, hairy (??) as these. Is that normal? You can kinda see what I'm talking about in the pics.

[​IMG]

Thanks guys.

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

BTW, here is my arsenal for the week away from home teaching at music camp in Utah.

[​IMG]

19. tradbrah

tradbrah Well-Known Member

What is more realistic: Allen Edmonds bringing back Walnut shell or Alden bringing back Ravello or Whiskey shell?

20. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Alden having Ravello and Whiskey. I have 8 pairs in production right now in Ravello or Whiskey. I have asked about Walnut and AE was unhappy with the return rate caused by the color variance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.