1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

How does Cheaney stack up to AE and Carmina? Assuming sales for all 3 companies are available.

For $300 (Cheaney), it's roughly $60 more expensive than AE ($240) and $150 cheaper than Carmina ($450). Thoughts?

2. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

I really couldn't see the crack that you say is on the 1st pix. I would recommend that you keep.

3. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

I take same size, smaller width from 65 last to 333 last. So my guess is that you'll be 10.5b.

4. YoungSweet

I'm with cool arrow, I can't see the Crack from the picture either. You can try to see if they have another pair in stock. Customer service is always great with AE so they'll work with you on that.
    They have sent me a second pair from the outlets before with a prepaid shipping label so I can send one back. I didn't get charged for the restocking fee but that's just because my SA was being nice. Even if you are getting charged 10 for the fee, I think it's still worth it, for the piece of mind.

5. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

How can you not see it? It is clearly a crack in the shell on the vamp.

6. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

I originally thought that it was a piece of lint caught in the finish.

It is the length of 2 stitches ... based upon the roll/crease pattern in my long- and short-wing tip shoes/boots, I don't foresee it growing in length.

7. YoungSweet

[​IMG]
    Bourbon university today!!

1 person likes this.
  8. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan. My Macs and Strands are two of three pair of "dressier" AE shoes (the other being black Hastings). All other pairs are casual and mostly suede (I work in a business casual environment).

9. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

Picked those up as a Webgem as well. Love 'em!

10. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Here is one you don't see very often - Bridgeton in the color AE used to call Bourbon.

[​IMG]

Chris

11. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Got my rutledge seconds in today but notice the heel has torn stitching on either side of the right heel. Because it looks like it would be structural to the heel I figured I should return them. Thoughts? [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  12. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

I don't like it.
    A competent cobbler could repair them but they will always have a structural defect (first pic).
    I would send back if it were me.

13. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Quote:Yea, that first pic looks pretty rough. I've got some Ruts inbound to my SA's store. If he doesn't have them he gets them in first to check them out. Why he gets my business.

14. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

The same SA I have been using is the one who sent me this too. He's a manager at Port Washington too.

15. IndianaGeo

IndianaGeo Well-Known Member

Question regarding the AE Strand to the AE experts on this forum:. I notice on the AE site they have the Strand 'with combination Tap Sole". Does it make sense to get THEIR tap sole? Or does it make more sense to have one third party installed? Any thoughts? I need a shoe/sole that can handle a bit of wet pavement. I don't know much about shoes generally, so just seeing if there's are any positives/negatives of one over the other. Thx.

IG

16. YoungSweet

I would prefer the tap sole from AE. If you're willing to pay the retail price and willing to wait, MTO a pair will give you more options (tap sole, Dainite sole)

17. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Lachyzee, if you could provide some more specifics that may be good. I am actually the same size on the 5 last as I am on the 333 last, however there are some important details to bring out.

On the 5-last, I have Walnut Shell Strands in 10.5C. Other than the Shell, they are standard shoes and abide my standard sizing principles. I also have the Jefferson on the 5-last in Shell and I went with 10.5D. The important difference is the lamb skin lining. I have the Harrison, which I MTOed in Black shell that is on the 333-last and I went 10.5D due to the lamb skin lining once again.

If you have any more specifics or questions, please let me know. Sounds like we are the same size though. :)

-Mike

18. frankmartin

frankmartin Well-Known Member

I would prefer the 3rd party tap sole. If you wear out the vtread, AE will re-sole the shoe for something over $100. If you wear out a tap sole glued on by a cobbler, then you take another $25 down to the cobbler and they put on a new one. Not only is the tap sole glued on by a cobbler just as good as a vtread, the fact that the shoes don't get resoled likely prolongs their useable life. You can only resole a pair of shoes so many times. The vibram material which my cobbler uses seems just as good, if not better, than the vtread material. In this situation, I also find the glued on tap sole to be superior in every way. I'll take the vtread if there's a pair of shoes I like with it, but if given the option, I'd choose to order plain leather soles then visit my cobbler.

19. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

I have 2 pairs of Brooks Brothers AE shoes that come standard with the Vtread and I prefer the Vtread that AE does from the factory. The main reason is that on the aftermarket "Topy" jobs I have seen, the rubber layer is a flat layer slapped on with glue, whereas when you get it stock from the factory, they first glue it on over the leather sole, and then stitch over it when they are attaching the outsole to the rest of the shoe. I think the exposed stitching on the sole looks much better.

[​IMG]

20. frankmartin

frankmartin Well-Known Member

The default Brooks Brothers AE sole with the vtread (grippy) and the combination heel (slippery) honestly doesn't make sense to me. It might look neat, but it's functionally silly.

I should also point out that I have a pair of shoes with the AE vtread (Rapid City) which I do like. I bought and sent back a pair of the Brooks Macneils with the sole you favor. I've had Vibram topy-like tap soles put on 4 pairs of AE shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.