1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonkr15

Jonkr15 Active Member

I have the Manistee in Bourbon and Wide Basic in Chili. Both are nice and match well, but I'm not sure I would pay full price for either. I got both off eBay for 25%-50% off brand new.

The broguing on the Manistee matches my Strands perfectly and I've received compliments on it. Some may think it's too much, but I don't think so. The Wide Basic would work with anything since it has no pattern. I will say that the buckle on the Wide Basic can scratch up the belt if you're not careful.

I also saw that 6pm.com has the Grapevine on sale for $100. Not sure how the color matches though.

1 person likes this.
  2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

My first thoughts exactly, great post thefoxtooth. Kahuna75 you are a blessed man if your wife likes the looks of a heritage or semi-dress work boots. I wish AE made more of a selection along those lines. I really like my black cherry RW Beckmans, the featherstone leather was a bear to break in but worth it once it did.

Bayfield CXL, 744 made by AE, RW Beckman, Krause also made by AE
    [​IMG]

I went through Red Wing yesterday and will be going to Red Wing on Wednesday. While Red Wing is on the Mn. side of the river many people from Wi. cross the river to work there. Weinbrenner is also in Wi. and made my Gary Borger original wading boots. Filson used them to make their boots for years until they moved production to Dominican Republic (sound familiar?). Filson recently moved production back to the US from the DR. I have 3 boots made in La Crosse, Wi. before they moved production to China. And a pair of custom made Russell Moccasin Grand Slam Sheep Hunters which are also made in Wi. Wisconsin has a long history of producing footwear including Allen Edmonds of course.

I do not believe it is. The reason I have not in the past and several others have mentioned is the fear of putting them in bags and then out of sight out of mind. I think it was Pastor that said he put his shoes in bags and then the bags in plastic containers and then put pictures of the shoes on the outside of the containers. I like that idea but do not have the space for it. So before I bag and tag my shoes and boots I will take pictures and print them keeping a binder handy. I do like bucksfan method of grouping them too.

3. Usonian

Usonian Well-Known Member

How has everyone's experiences with the AE Shoe Bank been? Do they tend to have issues that stick out, or are they really really minimal problems that only I will see if I'm looking for them? I could probably end up buying way too much stuff from there.

4. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

It's a really YMMV proposition. I've bought at least half a dozen seconds in the past year, and only one pair had defects that made me consider about returning. I had some that I couldn't find a defect on. From my own experience, most of the defects are easily concealed by your first polish job. But I've also seen people get seconds with a captoe that deviates greatly in color from the rest of the shoe, bad stitching, off-center broguing, different sized wingtips/captoes, etc... which are things I would return.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  5. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with the wide basic dress belt - high quality, classic looks, goes from formal the business casual well. I also like the Manistee, but I would be somewhat hesitant to wear that model with a suit - just a personal thing with me.

Chris

6. Usonian

Alright, excellent, thank you. I'd kinda been scoping the Graysons, and the Hanover, and Possibly the Mora 2.0, if that's any help as to what problems may be found.

7. thefoxtooth

thefoxtooth Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cold Iron.

Would you like to see what a Red Wing brogan I bought in 1990 looks like?

[​IMG]

I still wear them all the time, BTW. They may be more Obenauf's than boot at this point, but whatever they are, they're going strong.

8. thefoxtooth

As you saw a little up the thread, I'm sending a pair back. But that's my third Shoe Bank pair, and the other two I'm still trying to find the defect on years later. They're great about returns and exchanges and shipping is free, so all you have to lose is return shipping. I've found it to be worth the risk, definitely.

9. Usonian

Oooh, I actually missed that. I just started checking AE stuff out a few days ago, I'd had my eye on some Alden boots, but AE is more in my price range, and I'm liking their designs a lot. I'm going to get measured this week and start going wild on the Shoe Bank.

Also, if anyone knows of a pretty much identical shoe to the Grayson that has laces instead of tassels, I would love to know about them.

10. konoyaro

konoyaro Well-Known Member

I have conservative tastes, so if it were me, I'd use socks that are closer to the color of blue in the shirt, like a navy blue or a patterned sock that has navy blue incorporated into the pattern.

11. williaby

williaby New Member

I just received a pair of Bellevue Boots in 10.5B. The right shoe fits fine, but when I place the left shoe I am getting a bump in the leather. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Any of you AE guys prefer Woodlore Ultras compared to the basic AE/JOS/Nordstrom shoe trees? Are they worth it? I know it's all manufactured from the same company, but was wondering whether the quality is any different before pulling the trigger.

13. indigoroots

indigoroots Well-Known Member

I prefer the AE full toe trees. I've ordered some from JAB and Woodlores on sale but found some sizing inconsistencies. Maybe it's because the JAB park ave fits slightly different than the AE park ave so the trees were adjusted as well?

Just my experience though - I think the general consensus on here is that they're all rebranded versions of the same thing.

14. thefoxtooth

You should get on the email list for the Shoe Bank, too. They have periodic sales –you just missed one– with super-deep discounts; that's how I acquired the Promontory Pt. in the photo. $159 makes it worth sending a pair back.

Can't think of a lace loafer off the top of my head; I don't know if there is such an animal anywhere. But the Westchester has a classic sleek tassel-loafer profile with a minimal penny-loafer-type strap. I own a pair in Walnut, they're phenomenal. A Shoe Bank pair, no less.

As boots go, I definitely recommend the Daltons. The Promontory is beautiful as well, though the pebble grain isn't for everyone. In black I think it's great. The Amok is virtually identical to an Alden unlined chukka and there are some at SB for $99 right now, depending on size.

15. Jonkr15

Jonkr15 Active Member

I like the AE combination trees. Fit my Strands and PA's perfectly.

Haven't compared to others in person though.

16. Usonian

Cool, just signed up for that. I know Meermin makes a laced loafer, but the stitching on the toecap has that pronounced edge, and I prefer the smooth toecap of the Graysons, and I don't want to have to pay any customs or anything. I like those Daltons, but I'm looking for a boot that I could wear every day, something more along the lines of Aldens Plaza cap toes, something sleek and slim, but not like pointy. I'll definitely pick up a pair of those Amoks though. My intro pair to nicer shoes than usual were some Clarks DBs, but I found myself wanting something sleeker, a la the Amok or the Alden chukka, so that's perfect. And thank you so much for your help, since I kinda had no idea where to start with this whole "nice shoes" thing hah.

17. Olifter

Olifter Well-Known Member

I have the Manistee in both Merlot/burgundy and walnut, very happy with them. I wear them with suits. I'd get a solid black one for the PAs.

18. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Allison kindly sent me some samples of the AE 'Kara' Grain, 'Scotch' Grain and 'Alpine' Grain for the purposes of a coming MTO.

In terms of the fineness of the grain, from the coarsest to the finest, they rank as follows:

Scotch - Alpine - Kara

The Scotch also has the highest ridges/grain pattern.

Other than their appearance, does anyone know, reputationally, the different qualities of these varieties? Ie is one considered more durable, more waterproof etc etc.

Cheers

19. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

I've found that its harder to get dried muck off my Alpine grain bluchers conpared to my scotch grain boots.
    But Alpine grain seems to crease less (or at least shows creases less) compared to Scotch grain.
    I dont know about waterproofness of AE's grain leather (probably not very waterproof) , but the "zug grain" on C&J conistons is quite waterproof.
    I would think the bigger grain pattern would be more casual

20. thefoxtooth

Oh, I think I know the loafer you mean. Now, the Meermin chukkas are a thing of beauty. Sleek, structured, simple. Dress up or down as needed. I never paid any customs on my two pair; came in at around $215 for everything. Remember, the quoted price on the Meermin site includes VAT, which you don't pay, so subtract 22% before you convert your euros. Or just mentally don't add the shipping, they work out about the same, depending on the exchange rate. Highly, highly recommend.

Congratulations on starting the whole nice-shoes thing. Now the problem will be stopping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.