1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Is $399 on cordovan seconds likely to be bettered? Seems they were unloading them for $299 in Feb.

2. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Given that the retail price has increased I believe the days of $299 cordovan seconds are gone

3. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Yea, I'd imagine $350 or $375 minimum.

4. Watchman1

Watchman1 Well-Known Member

Yes Sir,

I live about 90 min form the factory and am very good friends with some of the folks there.....that was a special deal that happens VERY rarely. I was actually told that it would never happen again. But we shall see.

Check out these 2 pair I procured for a dear friend for $600....What a steal!!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Anyone have pics of the Nuemok in tan and snuff suede's?

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

I do not have pics handy but I just received my Neumok in Tan suede and they are very nice though it might just be my pair but sizing seemed a touch off- also has a cushy insole which is nice.

7. 7_rocket

I did read it fits slightly big? I'd love to see some pics. I might pick up the tan

8. CrimmyS

CrimmyS Well-Known Member

So when you guys says that the Leeds is a shit kicker, does that mean they wouldn't pair with a suit at all?

It seems like most people here like the look of AE's 65 last the most. It's their sleekest right? Just not as good for wide feet like mine.

What exactly is a shit kicker? If you were describing a pair of knock off converse I think I'd understand but any shoe over 200 or 300 in my mind is something I'd care about. Maybe I'm just poor, heh.

9. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

That dude was wrong. I always thought these were shit kickers:
    [​IMG]

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Sorry, im originally from San Antonio, so that's a little local vernacular.

Personally, I mean a shoe with some heft. Clunky, robust, and solid. In the best way. Not about quality.

If I were to pair Leeds of MacNeil with a suit, it would probably be with a more casual chunky fall/winter fabric like a heavy tweed or even flannel. Definitely not with anything conservative or formal(ish).

They're great shoes for casual sport coat/trouser pairings, though.

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Well, technically shit kickers are cowboy boots. But I'm bastardizing the term to apply to the equivalent hefty workhorses of menswear dress shoes...

12. tradbrah

tradbrah Well-Known Member

Tan suede:
    [​IMG]

If you (or anyone for that matter) is a size 9D, let me know and I'll see if I can get you a deal (1st quality) :)

1 person likes this.
  13. Watchman1

Watchman1 Well-Known Member

I am totally with you Bro, you should of seen me reluctantly giving these bad boys over to the cobbler. But, I am glad I did.

When I bought them, it was a choice between these and the Alden AF 110, which is basically the 975 with a commando sole. I chose these because of the price and availability.

The Vibram sole adds a real serious level of comfort to them as well, which is nice. Essentially, they feel like low top works boots.

I could kick the jaw off of a bulldog with them on!!!:nodding:

14. textbiguola

textbiguola New Member

you are right,The Classic Collection is a good start in that direction, but they could do more to better execute these shoes.thanks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  15. SimplyLime

SimplyLime Well-Known Member

Is the creasing normal in this shoe?
    or are my feet just disproportional?

These are 9D. They fit pretty good but
    last time I checked AE sizing guide, I measured 8.5D

Creases really show on the right shoe however, the left shoe looks like its unworn.
    Worn this pair <5 times

PICS:

[​IMG]

LEFT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RIGHT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  16. Jackboot

Jackboot Well-Known Member

I'd very much appreciate some opinions advice as I mull over my next shoe purchase. I'm trying to build a complete professional/formal wardrobe.

I currently own a pair of black Park Ave for my most formal wear and a pair of walnut Strands for less formal. I guess this means the major gap in my shoe collection is a pair of darker brown shoes.

I'm hoping to take advantage of the tent sale prices on seconds. Here are the seconds that are available in my size that I'm considering:
    - bourbon Fifth Ave @ 199
    - brown Fifth Street @ 199
    - brown Harrison (Independence Collection) @ 277

The bourbon Fifth Aves may be my top choice. But is bourbon a suitable choice for a more formal brown shoe to wear with suits, or is it too light (i.e., similar to walnut and less formal)? Unfortunately Fifth Aves in brown are not available in my size.

I also really like the Fifth Streets and the brown color is perfect to fill the gap in my dress shoe collection. But I wonder if I I should be considering a pair of brown boots before I have a pair of brown shoes. Opinions?

The brown Harrison is almost identical to the Park Ave which I already own, making me think that may not be the best choice if I want some variety in my small shoe collection. I've also considered buying a pair of black Harrisons and selling my black Park Aves (currently new/unworn). But that would definitely mean that I wouldn't want a second pair of Harrisons in brown.

Any other styles that I should be considering to fill the brown gap in my collection?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  17. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Shoes will crease when worn, some more than others depending on factors such as type of leather, construction, fit (length and width) and also how the feet flexes. YMMV of course. Since these are plain toe loafers, where the creasing forms is not really a big deal.

Just make sure to put shoe trees in when not in use and to ensure that you brush the shoe, especially where the creases are, before and after each wear to make sure you remove the dust and other muck that can act as an abrasives and cause tearing of the leather. Also make sure to have a clean/condition routine to prevent drying that may lead to cracking of the leather.

Love the Graysons!

18. freakersea

freakersea Well-Known Member

any body know if purchasing through the AE Shoebank will allow international shipping?

19. CrimmyS

CrimmyS Well-Known Member

They do not.

I don't know what the harrison looks like but I think most people would say a dark brown would work better than bourbon since you already have walnut and some might recommend a blucher rather than another balmoral. It depends on what you're wearing with your shoes.

If you have a lot of suits another balmoral wouldn't be bad but if you wear dress pants+sport coat then a sleek blucher might help round out your selection a little more (which could also be worn with a suit if you're ok with breaking that rule).

Another color that might work for you is something in merlot or burgundy. Usually people seem to suggest Black, Merlot/Burgundy/Dark Brown, Bourbon, Walnut in that order. If your suits/trousers are in a lighter color bourbon would be a little more conservative and ideal however if you wear darker colors you will get people who say it's not ideal. The reason being the contrast attracts too much attention to your feet. However there are people who enjoy that kind of contrast.

1 person likes this.
  20. 7_rocket

I bought seconds before and they shipped to Canada.

I'd think Canada would be "international"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.