• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether or not these are seconds is irrelevant to me or to the question I asked. Are they not worthy because you don't like them or because they're seconds?

I'll go back to my normal corners of STyleforum now, because frankly, this level of snobbishness does not make me want to dive into this thread.
I was just making an observation of the Schnautals that I've seen at the Rack. I couldn't tell if yours had the mark or not.

Personally, I love seconds. (Thank you Shoebank!). It's one of the ways I've been able to afford the # of AE shoes in my arsenal. Enjoy your shoes...I guess.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was just making an observation of the Schnautals that I've seen at the Rack. I couldn't tell if yours had the mark or not.

Personally, I love seconds. (Thank you Shoebank!). It's one of the ways I've been able to afford the # of AE shoes in my arsenal. Enjoy your shoes...I guess.

Don't worry about it. The people from the thrifting thread have been cranky lately.

GeneralW

Reaction score
Quick question, just picked up some Chili Delrays from the sale - I bought 12Ds, the same size I wear on the 5 last. There isn't any vertical heel slip but there's some wiggle room left to right speaking near the back of the shoe, is there anything I can do to mitigate this?

kentyman

Reaction score
Wait so the McAllisters on the shoebank inventory list will be on sale at the BB shoes price? There are no separate BB - McAllisters on the shoe bank list.

No, only the BB version is on sale at the BB price. You don't see them because they're not available in your size. You would see something like "Brooks Mcallister Burgundy" on the list.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. The people from the thrifting thread have been cranky lately.
Play nice, folks...or not.
smack.gif

Shoebank related question: I have no shell in my inventory, or burgundy. Do I roll the dice on burgundy shell Cambridge 2nds @ $449 (not on sale), or calf 5th Ave 2nds @ $169 (have to double check colors available - but merlot/walnut are preferred)? The recent shell posts have me thinking hard...but at almost 3x the cost, the 5th Aves seem like a better deal - and who doesn't love a good deal?

As an aside, any thoughts on the Macadam boot? Why so cheap at retail ($295)? What should one expect from an 'independence rubber tap' sole with 'regular' heel?

kentyman

Reaction score
Reading back about size recommendations for the Saunders and having trouble deciding who to believe. Some believe it's on the 2 last, J'ville said it's similar to the 4-234 (though maybe they were confused with the Sanderson?), and Charleston said it's the 1 last. It seems most find it to be a bit narrow.

I wear an 8.5D on the 5-65 and 9D on the 1-511, though both fit a tad on the narrow side, so I may actually be an E width. Sounds like I should get a 9D or possibly up to 9E?

Confusingly, the search function seems to think no one has mentioned the Saunders until yesterday, which I know isn't right, so I had to use Google.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, any thoughts on the Macadam boot? Why so cheap at retail ($295)? What should one expect from an 'independence rubber tap' sole with 'regular' heel?
I've got the same exact question. Apparently someone here said the leather quality isn't as good as the other AE calfskin but I'd love some more feedback.

BWV988

Reaction score
Reading back about size recommendations for the Saunders and having trouble deciding who to believe. Some believe it's on the 2 last, J'ville said it's similar to the 4-234 (though maybe they were confused with the Sanderson?), and Charleston said it's the 1 last. It seems most find it to be a bit narrow.

I wear an 8.5D on the 5-65 and 9D on the 1-511, though both fit a tad on the narrow side, so I may actually be an E width. Sounds like I should get a 9D or possibly up to 9E?

Confusingly, the search function seems to think no one has mentioned the Saunders until yesterday, which I know isn't right, so I had to use Google.

I briefly had a pair. I wear 10.5D on several pairs of 1 last shoes (Cascade, Dalton, Rapid City), and based on the recommendations in the search results I read, I got the Saunders in 10E. Both the width and length were good, but the widest part of the sole where the bending happens didn't align with the balls of my feet.

I also have a pair of Sandersons, which I've read are on the same last as the Saunders. They are 10.5D and fit a bit narrower than my 1 last 10.5Ds. Based on this and what you've mentioned above, I'd say a 9E could work for you.

Last edited:

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Whether or not these are seconds is irrelevant to me or to the question I asked. Are they not worthy because you don't like them or because they're seconds?

I'll go back to my normal corners of STyleforum now, because frankly, this level of snobbishness does not make me want to dive into this thread.

you mean like the Alden thread?

Call me crazy, but this is pretty much the most "normal" thread on this forum.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
smack.gif
STUPID PLEBS! GO EMPTY MY CHAMBERPOT

There. Now he has a real reason to cite snobbery.
you mean like the Alden thread?

Call me crazy, but this is pretty much the most "normal" thread on this forum.

Haha, I'm no snob. I post on their as well since I thrift to build my wardrobe and wanted to see how to do it right. People were just trouncing on the newbs there, including on yours truly. It's funny that I get solid advice from guys on the CW WAYWRN thread than on the thrift store. I wouldn't have expected it.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
smack.gif

Shoebank related question: I have no shell in my inventory, or burgundy. Do I roll the dice on burgundy shell Cambridge 2nds @ $449 (not on sale), or calf 5th Ave 2nds @ $169 (have to double check colors available - but merlot/walnut are preferred)? The recent shell posts have me thinking hard...but at almost 3x the cost, the 5th Aves seem like a better deal - and who doesn't love a good deal?

At $449, I would save up and spend a bit more on MTO Shell order. If you're going to spend that much, might as well get what you want and not have to worry about defects.

I've gotten a few 2nds in calf, these are my everyday shoes. At below $175 you can't complain about the minor imperfections.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
At $449, I would save up and spend a bit more on MTO Shell order. If you're going to spend that much, might as well get what you want and not have to worry about defects.

I've gotten a few 2nds in calf, these are my everyday shoes. At below $175 you can't complain about the minor imperfections.
Both good points, and taken... Now on to available colors!

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
I've got the same exact question. Apparently someone here said the leather quality isn't as good as the other AE calfskin but I'd love some more feedback.
Yeah, an AE dress boot, not a 2nd, under $200 seems too good to be true... It's why i'm inquiring as to whether or not anyone has had the pleasure - or displeasure - of meeting them up close. With a Dalton and Long Branch in the fold, I'm not sweating it. Looks fancy, though...And no shady pull tab on the back!!!!!

Oh...BTW...the bourbon strands:

...Pinking is 'perfectly imperfect' on this pair. The others were just fugly. Just having some fun with extra laces i picked up! Makes 'em look more casual. Opinions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads