1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris45

chris45 Well-Known Member

Yes they did .. and I didn't pull trigger yet (but I also heard their version is on the 7 last?)

What is the Nordstrom sale price on PAs?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  2. zhanghagn0529

zhanghagn0529 Well-Known Member

Does annbody know what happened to my shoe? There was a tip on the upper and I thought it was some old extra polish so I tried to remove it. Now that spot is very dull. Did I remove all of the old polish on that spot or did I just dertroy the leather?

[​IMG]

3. thumperstain

thumperstain New Member

http://content.allenedmonds.com/pdf/AllenEdmonds_TentSale_Mailer _2014_Lowres.pdf

Here it is. Once you said "playing around" I figured out where it had to be. Nice find.

4. gsgleason

gsgleason Well-Known Member

You showed him.

Clobbered.

5. gsgleason

gsgleason Well-Known Member

I don't think you destroyed it, but you seem to have really stripped it.

What exactly did you do? How old are these?

6. zhanghagn0529

I used a damp cloth to rub it very hard. Theses are several months old. I have polished several times before. Did I just strip old polish? Thanks.

7. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

I'm far from the most knowledgeable on shoe care, but this sounds like a terrible idea.

1 person likes this.
  8. zhanghagn0529

Yeah, you are right. I hope I did not damage the leather. Does anybody know how to remove polish safely?

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

saphir Renovateur or renomat

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you broke through the factory finish. You should never rub the shoe that hard when wet or with a wet cloth as this can result. I know from experience as I did the same thing to a pair of Carminas when trying to spit shine the cap. I used too much water and the result was a dull unfinished section like what you have here. You have two ways to remedy this:

1) Send the shoes to AE. AE can strip and reapply the factory finish to make them as good as new. I assume this is likely the cost of a full recrafting.

2) Create a new finish of your own by adding multiple layers of creme polish and wax. You will be surprised by how many times you have to do this to obscure the defect. You're in luck the shoes are black as this will make the problem easier to obscure.

FWIW, I took the second option with my pair of shoes, but will send them back to Carmina to fix this issue when they are in need of a resole. Good luck.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

+1

Bourbon, or any shade of medium to dark brown is more versatile than chili. But chili is a very nice color.

12. zhanghagn0529

Thanks for your help. I am glad to hear that at least it can be fixed. I will contact with AE.

13. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

In 2012 the Nordstrom anniversary sale price for PA's and Strands, etc. was $219 (or $229).

In 2013 the price was $10 more than the previous year. I predict you can add another $10 to that for this year.

Those were for "firsts" by the way.

14. BWV988

BWV988 Well-Known Member

15. Dilldis

Dilldis New Member

Absolutely love these new Sanford's. I think they are my new favorites. [​IMG]

16. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

My SA told me AE will only make cordovan shoes on demand now. Meaning in store stock will be extremely low from now on, but if you want to see a cordovan shoe in your size, you will have to wait for AE to make them. That is all, no MTO charge or anything extra...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  17. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

The versatility of brown. Bourbon Mora 2.0

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brown is the most versatile shoe color, period. Arguably here, in a derby or monkstrap styling, you have the most versatile shoe there is. Here I chose the shoes last of all the items. Going with trusty mid brown monk was a simple decision, I'll tell you why.

It's spring. I want to dress a bit more colorful and yet maintain a clean and sharp look. The jacket is in a significantly lighter shade of blue than the standard navy. As we have discussed before silk knits are home run casual spring/summer ties. Here I chose one that would pick up on the overcheck of the jacket. Navy would have been a great choice as well. Light blue shirt is standard. I chose a square that picked up the colors in the rest of the outfit without looking "matchy".

Next to the pants and this is where things get interesting. I feel light light gray pants would not contrast well with the jacket. Additionally, the tie is too severe (dark) for them. However the darker the pants the more we lose the spring/summer vibe. Mid gray is the perfect compromise.

This presents us with a shoe problem. It's spring/summer, tan/walnut is the color of the season. However it contrasts too much with the pants and tie. Dark brown is not s/s enough and too "business" for such fun pieces. Enter: mid brown in mid style. Bourbon monkstrap. It's not so much of a statement shoe as walnut, and doesn't draw near the attention. It is perfect for those times you've got other interesting pieces and bright shoes would just be a bit much. Further, dress it up or down. Monks can go tieless, they can do a casual suit. Dark pants? Mid brown will look fine. Light pants? Likewise. You can put this shoe in nearly any outfit and it will look pretty darn good. Further there will be times (like here), where it is nearly the only option.

Bourbon, Mora 2.0/Delray. Get yours TODAY.

18. BWV988

BWV988 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the confirmation on that.

19. helius0

helius0 Well-Known Member

I could've sworn they said something about doing this "shells are only MTO" thing a year or two ago.

Anyone else remember that? Or have I just inhaled too much of the new shoe vapours?

20. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

They have been MTO now for a while yes. Probably about a year. They do seem to have some sitting around, but I am not sure if that is just old stock or if they do an occasional run of them.

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.