1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trader George

Trader George Well-Known Member

So I promised some pictures of my shell Cambridges and Leeds, but unfortunately the Cambridges won't be here until early next week. I do have the Leeds, however, and below is a picture of them. As you can see on the left shoe (right in the picture), there seem to be scratch marks, or something of that sort. Now the majority (95%) of my AE collection is calf, so I have next to zero experience with shell cordovan, but from the little experience I do have, I don't think this is normal. I contacted my semi-local store, and as always (like all AE employees), they were very eager to help me find a solution. My go-to SA, Luis, put in an order for a new pair to be crafted, and told me to bring these in when they arrive. He said the choice will be mine whether to exchange these for the new pair when the time comes. However, are these marks normal? Thanks guys.

[​IMG]

2. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Simple answer is no these are not normal. Exchange.

3. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trader George [​IMG]

So I promised some pictures of my shell Cambridges and Leeds, but unfortunately the Cambridges won't be here until early next week. I do have the Leeds, however, and below is a picture of them. As you can see on the left shoe (right in the picture), there seem to be scratch marks, or something of that sort. Now the majority (95%) of my AE collection is calf, so I have next to zero experience with shell cordovan, but from the little experience I do have, I don't think this is normal. I contacted my semi-local store, and as always (like all AE employees), they were very eager to help me find a solution. My go-to SA, Luis, put in an order for a new pair to be crafted, and told me to bring these in when they arrive. He said the choice will be mine whether to exchange these for the new pair when the time comes. However, are these marks normal? Thanks guys.
    Where they first quality?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  4. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

These don't look consitent with AE's current shell finishing practices. There is quite a lack of polish (which is a good thing if you have a nice quality shell underneath) which is more like their older shells. Maybe these have been sitting around for a while? Either way, if they are firsts, exchange.

5. Trader George

Trader George Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're firsts. Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to definitely exchange then. :)

6. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

Those are seconds now.
    As an aside, I also had to return my first pair of "1st quality Leeds" for a couple of defects (mis-matched heel blocks and heel counters).

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Did you try buffing? My shell park aves had splotches like that when I first got them, and they came off with some Reno. It was polish. Not saying that that's what's on your pair, tho..,

8. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^ This is very true, but they are willing to make him another pair. I'd be afriad to touch them them deem them unreturnable. If the OP isn't in a hurry, I'd just wait it out.

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

True enough!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  10. green garden

green garden Well-Known Member

They don't have walnut grain as of early this year.

The word I think of when I saw football grain was stubley. When you run your fingers, you can actually feel them bump against the grain. I have a chili grain and it is more like the grain pattern is a lot smaller.

11. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

the football grain leather is uniformly-sized-grain, while the other ("tumbled") grain leathers are supposed to haev some randomness in the grain (but tend to be rather uniform as well). The big difference if you can feel the grain pretty clearly in the football grain, while the other grain leathers feel less grainy and smooth out at the toe and other areas where the leather is stretched (such as the strip with the toe perfing in a wingtip)

12. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Cheers - anyone have some good photos around of the brown grain? Really can't find any!

13. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

I love this color

14. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

15. zhanghagn0529

zhanghagn0529 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I found my Mcallister at 7EEE is about one sixth inch longer than my Park Avenue at the same size, comparing the length of the sole. Is this normal? Or Is there something wrong with this very pair? Or should I just size down?

Thank you.

16. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Comparing the length of the outsole is not an accurate way to measure the shoe for fit.
    The outsole can easily vary by much more than you mentioned.

17. green garden

green garden Well-Known Member

The AE San Marco was made in brown grain. Googled images.

[​IMG]

18. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Finally received my webgem cordovan Jeffersons. I ordered these before allenedmonds.com accepted international deliveries so I had it shipped to my in-laws in the US and they only managed to send me these last week. Took about 7months! They look great! The only problem is I ordered these in my brannock size 8.5D and I recently realized that for 5-lasted balmoral 8E fits me better as it reduces the vgap between the eyestays. Oh well Im just hoping that my feet will sink in nicely into the cork foot bed and that this will help reduce the v-gap. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    2 people like this.
  19. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting them. That is a pleasant surprise. Bummer about the sizing. You going to keep them or sell them then?

-Mike

20. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to update on an issue I mentioned a few weeks back where it felt like I was squishing air out of the toe whenever I would take a step in my strands. I went in to my local AE and explained the issue while also demonstrating it. They offered to send them back to Port Washington amd have them looked at. Keep in mind these were seconds that I wore for just over a year.

About 2 weeks passed and I followed up with the store to see what the status was. Turns out they were deemed to need a full recraft and they had actually been finished that day. So all-in-all, AE took care of the structural issue with the shoe pretty quickly and at no cost to me, even on a pair of seconds.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.