1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have been visiting the SF site off and on for a while, but this is my first posting and do have a question for you folks.

I have an AE Weybridge Walnut Calf and I do like the minimalistic work. Recently I saw the McAllister and New Orleans at Nordstrom and I am interested in buying one of those. My personal preference is to buy another Walnut Calf but I am unable to decide between the McAllister and New Orleans. Any recommendations?

2. rikod

rikod Well-Known Member

3. ShoeNewbie

ShoeNewbie New Member

I'm wondering if the Macallister is worth it for $245?

4. ShoeNewbie

ShoeNewbie New Member

Just to add to this, I already have the Flatirons in Black, and the the Vernons in Saddle Brown. The McAllister looks like an amazing shoe though, just need reassurance that they're a good purchase at $245.

5. Downtheline

Downtheline Member

Gonna break in my first pair of AEs (Brown Jeffersons) on Wednesday during a work related trip to Dallas. I have read that some people will use lexol leather conditioner before their first use. Is that safe to do? Any input is appreciated!

6. knezz

knezz Well-Known Member

Black and Burgundy?

I picked up a pair a few weeks back. They are calf (not the cobbler's leather of old). There was a "scratching" issue with the cobbler's leather so AE changed to the standard calf.

Also everytime I ordered a pair of AEs the shipping has been free.

There is a sale coming around Father's Day but I was told that the black and burgundy Sheltons won't be inclulded in that sale but some other colors will.

Here's to your pair being in great condition!!!:bigstar:

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Very Nice!!

IMO it is a good buy at $245. But ultimately only you can decide what they are worth to you. Doubt you will have any regrets though.

Quote:
    I have not used Lexol but reading on here and elsewhere many people like it. My preference is Sahpir Renovator and on new shoes I first brush them then a very light coat of Renovator and brush again. Depending on the new shoe I will wear them several times in the evenings at home to help break them in before wearing them all day, that can be very important to being comfortable all day the first time out. Good luck and hope those Jefferson's treat you well.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  8. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Member

Cold Iron and New Shoes1,
    Extremely helpful!
    I'll avoid using the walnut polish. I'll either get the AE (likely) or Saphir Cognac. I don't mind the original colour changing a bit over time, but I don't want it to darken much and I'd like the tones to remain varied and rich.
    Thank you very much for the advice.

9. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

It's a good deal for $245.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Yes, try on the 10E first, it should help the toe cramming and allow you to have nice even gaping when lacing. Enjoy.

11. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Great looking shoe, congratulations!

It sounds like they would fill a void in your shoe wardrobe. The McAllister is a classic shoe, it would be hard to go wrong, and the current price is a good one.

Bradleys today:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  12. Shiny

Shiny Well-Known Member

Yep. Black and burgundy. I'm excited. Thanks for the info on the calf leather.

13. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Well-Known Member

damn it I love these!! congrats!

I'll have to settle for my crappy walnut strands today (which are due for a good polishing tonight):

[​IMG]

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

IMO, $245 seems like an everyday price to me, so unless you need them soon, I would wait until a better price came along.

I like the proportions on the McCallister better than the Lombards too.

15. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Those McCallisters look super sweet. Congrats!

I found myself not wearing my Park Aves too much so I’m putting two excellent-condition park aves up for sale. See my sig. for details.

16. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Brown shell cordovan Strands (5-65 Last) @$299, still one of my best AE deals (along with my burgundy shell cordovan Combridge)

17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Very nice. [​IMG]

18. Downtheline

Downtheline Member

19. violethour1951

violethour1951 Well-Known Member

That is a gorgeous color -- is it the burnished brown?

20. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Thanks for the shell Bradley fix!

Still waiting on my replacements original ordered Dec.22. Yes might have to wait but AE does make things right, can't ask for much more than that. Wish most of the vendors I deal with at work were as good they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.