1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

That looks like the brown leather they used on the San Marcos.

Chris

2. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

Size?!

I've been looking for a darker brown blucher and coming up dry. These look great.

3. FreedBird

FreedBird Well-Known Member

Potentially I haven't gotten my hands on a pair of those yet.

10.5D, PM me if you are interested.

4. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Is CXL considered more weather resistant than other casual leathers? If not, what would be? Dublin?

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

While I do not have anything concrete to back this up other than owning CXL it would seem very weather resistant to me, my CXL Sebago's have gotten drenched and look perfectly fine...compared to other casuals can not be sure. My McTavish is a rough leather and I treated it with Aussie Balm and it has suffered a pop up rain storm with zero issues.

7. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback and discussion, fellas. I will certainly keep posting my shoe selection and thought process here after receiving such a good response!

Trousers are indeed a tad snug here. That said, when I am about 5 lbs lighter they are some of my best fitting pants. :)

On the alternative shoe discussion, I think a plain snuff suede shoe would be great here as well. I have a pair, but they're bals, and you know how I feel about that! :p
    A tan/snuff spec sounds interesing and would probably work well here also.

Navy is a color I have a hard time with. I really like it in theory. It is pretty decidely s/s. Given it's a nontraditional color it typically works best in a casual shoe, I'm thinking loafers and monks here. That said there is also a scale of formality based on darkness or lightness. Lighter shoes are typically less formal than darker shoes. This is where I have trouble with navy. It's informal everywhere except it's shade or tone. That said, this light/dark precedence is fairly low on my scale of rules. I have plenty of casual dark shoes, I just find them a bit harder use/ not quite as versatile. In this particular application I have two thoughts that contradict each other, so I would need to see the navy shoes to know for sure. First, I think navy shoes are too dark here given how light the trousers are. I think the contrast would be similar to dark brown shoes and imagine it would be too jarring. Conversely, the jacket is navy, so the palette really isn't getting any more complex. It might in fact look good to echo the jacket's color here in the bottom block. How's that for a non-answer?

In regards to the walnut strand discussion, I don't really like that shoe and I'll say why. Everywhere you guys are advocating wearing it I think a walnut monk or derby (franciscan/delray) does better. Additionally it breaks less "rules". I don't think this is a coincidence. Additionally as you guys said, walnut strand feels too casual for a suit. So what good is it? I think it is the best shoe for casual suits that are lighter than navy or charcoal. Pretty much I think it works best in light gray suits and suits that are like Air Force blue. That's about it. I continues to baffle me why this shoe is so recommended and encouraged.

That said, I could see it being recommended to somebody who could only afford a few pairs of shoes. It can sort of masquerade a lot of roles decently and that has value for some people. I think it's rarely the BEST choice (those times listed above), but I do think that it is often a fair choice, which may speak to it's popularity.

I do not like contrast laces very much. That said, I do have a box of laces with many different colors. I think if you are going to do color laces the rest of the outfit needs to be similarly . . . "festive"? Otherwise, too much attention is drawn to the shoes and takes away from the overall coherence of the outfit. That said I think if you wore something like red chinos, a white open necked ocbd, a navy jacket with a somewhat colorful pocket square and then threw RED laces on your shoes, you might just pull them off well. I certainly wouldn't just slap them on a walnut strand and assume that made them more casual. I just think it makes THAT shoe more incoherent. Maybe you have just given me an idea for my next outfit to try . . .

8. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

^luv2breformed

Amazing contribution. The thought process behind the writing is very detailed and informative. Please do share more as it bring another dynamic to this thread.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    2 people like this.
  9. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

New drinking game! Take one every time 'luv2b' says "that said,..."

3 people like this.
  10. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Well said on both points (in bold)... couldn't agree more. I purchased a pair of Walnut strands a little more than year ago thinking they would be a regular part of my rotation. I have worn them 2-3 times. They are a great looking shoe, but the bal-walnut combination complicates execution as you described.

2 people like this.
  11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

A few thoughts:

1. You've got to get past the balmoral issue, especially when it comes to suede. If you follow the Rock Your Socks thread, you'll see an abundance of suede balmorals being paired with everything from suits to more casual ensembles. There is something about a suede cap toe or half brogue that looks outstanding when paired with more casual ensembles. At the same time, I'm not a fan of suede bluchers as something just looks off. You'll correspondingly notice there are not many suede bluchers posted in the shoe threads.

2. With regard to walnut Strands, I tend to only wear them in the Spring and Summer. I'm not a fan of double monks, so those are out. I'm likewise only a fan of a split toe blucher in a sleeker last like Carmina's Simpson last or the EG Dover. As for snuff suede, I've got a pair of Carmina half brogues in snuff suede on the way, so will soon be adding those to the rotation. At its core, the Strand is not a beautiful shoe, but it is incredibly versatile, which is a selling point for a Summer dress shoe. While I won't wear them with a suit, I'll pair them with pretty much anything else this Summer.

1 person likes this.
  12. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I could not agree more with that statement in bold.

[​IMG]

13. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    BAHAHA. I will work on my transitions. :)
    Glad to see I'm not crazy. OR glad to see that there are at least 2 Crazies. :)
    I agree with you on #1 actually. Suede may be my only exception to this rule (I'm bending but haven't broken yet!). I wore my suede cap toe bals with an odd jacket a couple of months ago, and I felt like a boss. Also agreed on the suede bluchers bit.
    I agree with both of you on this. My question however is whether or not you find the Delray too blobby? I find the 108 handsome enough and really enjoy my Delray. I like my Carmina more, but I think the Delray is more than serviceable. Appreciate both of your guys' insight here.

14. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of the Delray. My EG Dovers are perfection.

1 person likes this.
  15. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Seconds order arrived to Canada in record time! Ordered on Tuesday afternoon. SA threw in shoe bags as well.

The Brown Corodvan Strands look great for seconds, a slight dent on the heel of one. Little bit of poor pinking work on the toe and slight shade variation on one toe. Overall very happy with them for seconds pricing as I have seen many firsts with the complaint of the pinking.

The Truffle Cordovan McAllisters are beautiful and look great with the exception of one section, not sure what happened but it doesn't look great. That being said, I did state to Chris from the shoebank I was only concerned with toe issues, I am sticking to that with this pair as truffle cordovan is long gone so I will be keeping these. The issue is on the most discreet section of the shoe it could be and I think with some deerboning and a bit of polish I could hide it even further. I little bit of a pinking issue again on the back quarter of the shoe but it's small. Lots of bloom on these guys too.

They say that Truffle/Cappuccino cordovan are one in the same but these are far lighter compared to the Cappuccino Bayfields I have, which I am very excited about. This Truffle pair is as close as I am going to get to Walnut. I look forward to taking some better pictures of my whole AE cordovan collection.

[​IMG]

Brown Cordovan Strand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Truffle Cordovan McAllister:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Well-Known Member

Nice pickups man! I'd wear them with those imperfections

17. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

Those are gorgeous! I absolutely love picking up shell shoes with so much bloom and color variation -- it's like cracking open a good bottle of wine that's been in the cellar for a while.

18. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

+1,000

19. FreedBird

FreedBird Well-Known Member

Really nice shoes Burzan! Congrats!

20. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I am with them as well. Great job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.