1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

2. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

I agree, which is why I am trying to decide which one of these to pull the trigger on, and in which color.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Damn. Never anything that cool in 10.5 3E. I'd love to catch a Dundee in there.

Just a black ostrich delray...

4. tjyoung

tjyoung Well-Known Member

How much?

5. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Quote:Super jealous. Can't wait to see the pics.

6. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

There prices on their website and Phil can quote you for custom work. It was very reasonable.

7. FreedBird

FreedBird Well-Known Member

Hello Gents! I need some help IDing the leather on this pair of MacNeils I picked up today. It is a pebble grain, but is extremely supple, much more so than the regular pebble grain I have owned from AE. Any thoughts on what it may be? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

SO I promised to cross-post here with my outfits when I am wearing AE with an explanation of my decision. Hope some of you find this beneficial, and OFC feedback is welcome.

Walnut Franciscan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I chose the walnut franciscan here for a few reasons. First, it is spring/summer, and my outfit reflects that. Generally walnut is a color that does a lot better in the s/s. After I chose the light grey trousers I knew I wanted something walnut. I feel like a darker brown would have taken away from the s/s feel and given to stark of a contrast against the trousers.

So I decided on walnut, and now I had to choose the style. A balmoral would be too formal here given my cotton jacket and silk knit tie. Conversely, loafers would be too casual given the lightweight wool trousers. I needed to settle somewhere in the middle in terms of formality. This left me with bluchers and/or monkstraps. I chose the monkstraps as I felt my outfit was a tad dull/simple otherwise, and wanted to insert a bit of character. If my tie or jacket had more going on I likely would have chosen a walnut Delray.

3 people like this.
  9. submatrix

submatrix Well-Known Member

Love the explanations, really helps me learn the thinking process for matching. Keep them coming! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. peppercorn78

Excellent outfit, luv2b. I noticed it in the other thread as well. I think you were right in guessing the tie color is a tad close to your shoes/belt, but it still works. Really nice trousers. Are they a tad right in the thigh/seat, or is that just the pose? Nice to see a fit from you, as I always enjoy your perspectives.

1 person likes this.
  11. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Well-Known Member

Nice outfit. Great to learn about your thought process on how everything fits together. I think if I was wearing a similar outfit, I would also likely end up deciding on some monk straps or bluchers in the tan family. I personally wouldn't have an issue going with some tan balmorals though, and I have a pair of tan/snuff suede spectator wingtip balmorals that I would wear with that outfit during the weekend. For the sake of possible discussion, a non-obvious color I would wear with those light grey pants would be navy colored shoes (I own a pair of navy/midght-blue single monks that I usually wear with grey or tan pants). What are you thoughts regarding that combination?

1 person likes this.
  12. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Have to say - I have sold some very rare shell models and I have never had sellers remorse. If anything, I'm relieved when I can thin the herd a little and concentrate on some key models.

13. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I am working hard to thin my heard. Sometimes you have to get rid of your babies, but that is the only way to stay in control! Having boxes of shoes sitting on the floor of your shoe storage room, I mean home office, does no one good.

14. peppercorn78

Wearing my navy suede McAllisters right now. I'm noticing the nap on the suede is extremely coarse. Has anybody noticed this with suede from AE? Not that im comparing the two brands, but I was at the CJ store in London last month, and their suede seems so much finer, it almost seems like a different kind of leather.

Does this seem to be an overarching attribute of AE suede across different colors?

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  15. sacafotos

sacafotos Well-Known Member

Agree, except I feel an X factor bal like the Strand can be made more casual with some colored laces. Not sure that's as doable with just any bal.

1 person likes this.
  16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I would wear walnut strands with something similar to Luv2B's fit, but do not think colored laces are needed. For me, the scale of the brogueing on the Strands and the light color makes them more casual, even if they are a balmoral. I find my Strands, balmoral or not, are too casual for a suit, but fit pretty well in the jacket/no tie context.

1 person likes this.
  17. csmitty

Are they a brown color? As its looks a lot like the color of my dark brown Long Branches will also have really supple pebble grain leather. I tried the black promontory point grain boots and was surprised at how stiff that leather was compared to the dark brown.

Those look great though. Would def. have a pair.

18. FreedBird

No they are not that leather. Way more supple, I was hoping someone had seen something similar in some swatches for a MTO piece. I had never seen this specific leather on a production AE.

19. csmitty

Do you have some of those long branches? It looks the same to me. I'll take a pic tomorrow. They're really soft.

20. FreedBird

Yeah I own a pair of the dark brown long branches and this is a different leather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.