1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Well-Known Member

2. CrimmyS

CrimmyS Well-Known Member

I think these are AE Neumora's right?

I think they're either seconds or just used. Either way, do they look like they're in bad condition? These will be my first pair of dress shoes and so I don't really know what the red flags would be.

However they're the cheapest AEs I managed to spot where I live (about 225USD) and I'm going to try to haggle them down a little lower.

Thoughts? Still in good enough condition for their current price point?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Well-Known Member

Quote: That's seems high. Is it just shipping that is costing you alot?

4. srolaser

srolaser Active Member

Are they MTO?
    Thx.
    S

5. cadmonkey

cadmonkey Well-Known Member

I've been itching for some navy, I think you just helped me decide. :) By the way, can you touch on the differences between the standard insole/lining and the independence insole/lining? Is it mostly a change in material or is there extra padding added?

6. taylorswift

taylorswift Active Member

T.Y !
    i sent this shop a email.
    I dont need international shipping from AE.
    AE can simply send the shoes to a warehouse in Portland.
    There are people who direct my mails to my place

7. submatrix

submatrix Well-Known Member

Random question: shoe newbie here, recently bought a pair of Lexington cap-toe oxfords. In my attempt to learn all the shoe terminology, I thought I had understood the definition of an oxford style shoe to be the fact that the eyelets are attached to the underside of the vamp (this is what wikipedia seems to suggest). Something like this:

[​IMG]

This contrasts with the Derby style, in which the eyelets are attached to the top side of the vamp. However, looking at the Lexingtons, it seems to follow the Derby style?

[​IMG]

I'm confused here. Help me learn!

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

In the US especially, you'll often see "oxford" used to refer to any dress shoe, and also "balmoral" used to refer to any dress oxford. But technically you're correct: an oxford has "closed lacing" i.e. the facing (where the eyelets are) is attached at the bottom to the vamp, and a derby or gibson (also called a "blucher" in the US), has "open" lacing, i.e. where the facing is attached only at the sides, and is open at the vamp as well as the top.

Incidentally, a "balmoral" has no vertical seam between the vamp and quarter, and instead one that runs horizontally from the facing to the counter ("foxing", in US parlance). Like this, from Septieme Largeur:

9. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

I often lament that Allen Edmonds haven't got a retail store in Britain, but have just discovered that they do have an outlet store in Italy.
    It's in a town called Serravalle, near Milan.

[​IMG]

Anyone here ever been there?
    Or bought from there by phone?

My Italian is zero, though I can think of two acquaintances who speak it fluently. Might have to ask a favour of them.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  10. submatrix

submatrix Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up, mimo.

11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

But if you just email shoebank@allenedmonds.com and ask what's in your size, you can buy it from the US and they will ship it.

12. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

International shipping from the US to Europe is not cheap, and then you have customs charges on top of that.
    I've bought from the shoe bank before, but have had shoes shipped to my sister-in-law who lives near Boston, and then she brings them over on her suitcase on her yearly trips to Europe.
    I can't reallyoverload her case with shoes though. And it can take a while.

Having an Allen Edmonds store in the EU would really be great.

13. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

So I just got my 2014 Style Guide, and there's some stuff in it that I haven't seen yet and aren't on the website (all images from Shoebuy).

Melichar:

[​IMG]

Baja:

[​IMG]

Zephyrus:

[​IMG]

Not impressed with any of them.

14. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

We don't have to do this anymore, mimo. They made a website: shoebank.com

Figured you'd like that information. :)

1 person likes this.
  15. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

Agreed, blech. =/

16. barrance

barrance Member

Are these from a private seller? Based on your pictures, these do not appear to be seconds or used. A second should have a mark on the sole, which I don't see, to indicate as such and they don't appear to be used since there is absolutely no wear on the sole. Also, I see the shoe bags underneath the shoes, and those aren't included with seconds. That being said, you do see a little creasing in the leather in the last picture, which is indicative of use, so maybe these are actually firsts that were store demos or the previous owner only wore them to walk around the house?

Anyways, as far as I can tell, these appear to be firsts and seem to be in pretty good shape. The Neumora is a closeout style that is available as a second for $159 right now. It's up to you how much more you are willing to pay to not deal with the uncertainty of seconds, but recent history within this thread is that most folks are willing to pay ~$30-40. So a good price point may be $200 or less?

Of course, I'm also a newcomer to this thread, so I'm sure there are many more veterans here that can give you more informed advice.

17. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Hot Damn!!!

18. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Absolutely hideous, all of them! They look like caricatures of really ugly shoes!

19. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Well-Known Member

+1

20. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.