1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Oh yea. All day without a tie.

1 person likes this.
  2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Burgundy dalton would look extra money with a chunky fall- ish grey tweed suit.

3. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I briefly had a pair of burgundy shell Dalton's and wore them with gray suits. Thought that they looked good.

-Mike

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  4. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

One more shoe care question- I picked up a pair of Rush Street in the Golden Chromexcel. How should I care for these? I assume no polish, just conditioner and/or leather lotion? How about Saphir Reno or VSC?

5. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Well-Known Member

The Mora 2.0 is on the same last as the LaSalle, so the same size should work for you.

6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Thank you kindly

7. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

Can any AE experts advise me on the fit of my Sheltons?

In Europe, and a long way from a Brannock device, I used AE's print out shoe fitting guide and got myself some Sheltons and MacNeils in 8.5D.
    Had them since last August now and wear the Sheltons about once a weeks. Maybe slightly less over the winter.

Anyway, they lace up with a pronounced V and always feel a little tight over my instep. Is that normal? The V hasn't really gotten any smaller.
    Wore them all day today, and just took them off. Slight red marks over the tops of my feet.

I want to get a second pair of Sheltons, in black / burgundy, but am wondering if I should look for 8.5E instead.
    The heel area is fine, but I think the front of the show is a little snug.
    Would I be blowing it by getting an E fitting?

Almost impossible to return them if wrong size over here in Europe.

[​IMG]

BTW these are AE seconds.
    Pretty obvious to me what the flaw is, but nobody has even noticed as far as I know.

I'm sure the learned audience here can spot it.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  8. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Well-Known Member

I have those, and they are great with medium to dark blue suits, but especially nice with medium to dark grey. Casual or with a tie works.

9. iamsilvermember

iamsilvermember Well-Known Member

Thanks all - will pull the trigger on these then!

10. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Per AE - tan. All I did was treat with AE Leather Lotion and buff.

Chris

11. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

All I did was use Leather Lotion. Worked great for me.

Chris

12. MisterFu

MisterFu Well-Known Member

Without the ability to try on and return the shoes, I'd be hesitant to switch widths, especially since the shelton is already made on a fairly wide last (by AE standards). I have the burgundy and black sheltons and one thing I'd note is that they have a much more formal appearance compared to the tan / brown combo.

13. qvhong

qvhong Member

Happy Saturday all!

My foray into the seconds world, and like a lot of people I have questions regarding possible fixes for the "problems" with the shoes.

Bought a pair of Brooks Fifth Avenues from this past week's Second's sale on Brooks.

The "problem" seems to be that the toe on one of the shoes has been dented flat (not sure if during or post-manufacturing process) and is no longer perfectly rounded (see pic). I think I will be keeping the shoes because it's not a huge noticeable problem, but does anyone have any tips on how to fix it. A shoe-tree doesn't really reach all the way up there and paper is too compressible. I've tried my best to stick my hand in there and push it up to not much avail. Also if anyone has had problems like this, would a cobbler have a solution for this?

Thank you everyone.

[​IMG]

14. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Well-Known Member

Can anyone answer how often shell cordovan seconds go on sale? It looks like prices have been down to $299 somewhat recently. When can we expect this sale again? Thanks!

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I wouldn't call that a pronounced V. They look perfectly fine to me. Are they more comfortable if you don' t lace them as tightly? They look like they are cinched down as tight as you can tie them base on the bunching of the leather. If you are doing that to minimize the gap, I'd try not worrying about it as much. Then again, it's hard to tell these things from photos, so I may be wrong.

3 people like this.
  16. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

You could well be right there. I did have them laced pretty tightly yesterday and it aaas a warm day with a lot of walking, so I'm sure my feet swelled a bit.

Normally a snug, but comfortable fit.

Guess that V is normal for Allen Edmonds. None of my British shoes look like that and the eye stays come together when laced up.

17. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

You will see a perfect closure on some people, but it's the exception to the rule in RTW shoes, particularly American made ones. English shoes tend to accommodate a higher instep, stereotypically speaking. Really, in a RTW shoe, the chances really should be relatively slim of achieving a perfect fit. Bespoke is a different story. In RTW shoes, experts generally allow for up to a quarter inch gap for an "ideal" appearance and fit. However, there is generally some room for leeway. If your gap were more eye catching, I'd say trying a wider shoe may be worth it, but I'd venture to say that nobody would have said yours looked bad if you hadn't asked.

18. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

As money said, gaps are quite normal and common in oxfords, and reasons as Money stated, actually, he couldn't have explained better. :)

19. NicNac

NicNac Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember what last the Fairhaven was made on?

Thanks

20. thebeebs

thebeebs Well-Known Member

Agreed. Go wider if you want a tighter closure, but no point in punishing your feet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.