1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rink

rink Member

Wow, those remarks sure touched a nerve with you, eh? I did not think I would ever see someone get so upset over a discussion about shoe/pants combination, haha. In my humble opinion, I thought luv2's remarks were not "troll-ish," and in fact I found them quite helpful and delivered with the upmost of tact. It seemed like most people appreciated luv2's advice/opinion. Indeed, if I recall correctly, luv2 prefaced his comments by asking if criticisms were allowed in this thread before proceeding. Personally, I think this thread benefits from different opinions and would hate for this thread to turn into an echo chamber where only compliments are allowed. Criticisms or differences in opinions, when delivered tactfully, should have a place in this thread. Indy, I would try not to get so offended when someone does not agree with your sense of style and you should continue to wear what you want with confidence!

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I wear navy pants with walnut shoes as well - though I still appreciated hearing the advice.

Also, thank you AE for shoebank.com, this will be a great tool to have!

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Seriously. For all the sanctimonious waxing about "decorum," calling a well-spoken and well-meaning forum member who asked permission to give his opinion a "troll" doesn't seem kosher.

Let's refrain from taking contrary opinions too personally in this thread. There are many other threads on SF for that.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

I would appreciate the ability to view the inventory at the individual outlet stores.
    For instance, I will be in Boston early in June and would like to see if it would be worth my while to take the rental 120 miles to Freeport.

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Did Indyoshi68 just refer to my portly brethren as tubs of lard.......now you have crossed the line!

5. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Well-Known Member

This would be great, if possible.

6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

When is the next seconds sale fellas? Gotta kop me those mctavish!

7. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Well-Known Member

Hot tip: Make sure you know your size accurately before ordering. I wear an 11E in all of my AE shoes but for some reason my 11E McTavishes see far too wide in the heel and long in the toebox (but just fine width-wise at the ball). I measure an 11 1/2 D/E on the Brannock but was encouraged to go for a 10 1/2 E on the McTavish on my next pair. My navy suede Strands also fit like my McTavish and feel a bit too large. Note that I also use tongue pads and that doesn't seem to solve the issue sufficiently. No big deal but next time I'll order a smaller size.

8. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Cappuccino cordovan Bayfields today.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

10. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Well-Known Member

11. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. The pants are Bonobos Seanotes and are actually on sale for $38 right now.

1 person likes this.
  12. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Iv'e read that I should go down half a size but this is the first I read about a full size. I'm a 8D in my AE's but I had to go with a 7.5 for the kenilworth. HMM!

13. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Awww, yeah.

14. MrDoubleTake

MrDoubleTake Member

Hey guys,

I jumped on merlot franciscan from this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/383341/allen-edmonds-monk-strap-megathread-huge-sale

[​IMG]

I'm wondering how these would fit? I usually wear size 7.5 - 8.5 and have wide feet.

My current shoes, 7EE ferragamos, are good for me length-wise but they are very tight in the width (probably because I've grown since I got them).

I like my shoes to feel a bit loose, so hoping these will be comfy!

15. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

Wow good to see my request was made reality!! I think this will really help us consumers target shoes within our price range.

16. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for but, if you select a model it WILL tell you which stores have it.

So as long as you know which models you want, you can easily narrow down the store locations.

17. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Well-Known Member

You may well only need to go down half a size - that's what I did for my other shoes. I size at an 11.5 but wear an 11E. My McTavish indeed fits larger than my other shoes. Even the salesperson at the AE store told me my McTavishes were too large (but not so large that they're uncomfortable). I will say that they fit much better if I wear thicker socks. That's hard to do in the summer when it gets really hot :)

18. cdgreg

cdgreg Well-Known Member

Evening gentlemen, I've been trying to find a traditional pair of loafers that fit without slipping and it has been a nightmare. Is there a certain style of AE loafers with a higher vamp? I'd prefer traditional penny loafer rather than tassel if possible. Thanks!

19. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Do you guys throw in a tongue pad if you have a slight bit of heel slip on a shoe?

20. Skatenc123

Skatenc123 Well-Known Member

Depends if the shoe is new or not. I usually get some heelslip while I'm breaking in shoes, while the soles are still rigid. Just wear bandaids if the slip is giving me blisters. If there broken in and slipping sometimes just a thicker pair of socks does the trick for me. But I do have some tounge pads in a pair of loafers and they works really well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.