1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

I wear 9D Barrie and 10C Leeds.

2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

The Rain in those photo's look really nice - probably due to the photo angle the Inca looks like a Duke Football shape

3. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Agree, those rain looks great. Too bad they don't have them in my size (7.5) online.

4. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

@New Shoes1 . Wow! Between the AE Carlyles and the Andrew Lock Black Oxford, these are the suggestions I was looking for. A much more modern look than the Park Ave, especially with the AL currently at $250. Though my brown Park Ave's would be just fine, I think there is just something striking about black leather shoe in formal occasions. I wish I knew more about Andrew Lock's company. I also love the Carminas but those will have to wait a few years before they're on my feet.

5. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Stunning! Congrats!

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

My recollection is that Andrew Lock offers a 10% Style Forum discount and free shipping, so I think they are $225 shipped.

7. Kahuna75

I do not care for the AL... For such limited use just go with the Johnston & Murphy Men's Melton Oxford at Amazon for $175 sign up for Amazon's Fashion mail list get the 20% off coupon and get them for $140. or the Florsheim Men's Edgar Oxford for like $90 with the coupon.

Not sure what your budget is but most on Style Forum find limited use for black shoes in general something I was a little shocked to learn. So for a closet sitting shoe really just go with bang for the buck.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  8. Kahuna75

9. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

Kind of just an interest check, hopefully this is allowed. Would rather ask here first, knowing everyone is an AE fan. I've been thinking lately that I might be more of a 12E than 12D, as some of my 1-last 12D shoes are proving to be too narrow, and becoming uncomfortable after a few hours. I have a pair of walnut datlons, very lightly worn, and a pair of snuff suede eagle county boots, also 12D, worn even less. Send me a PM if you might be interested. Again, sorry if this is against policy. I can remove this if needed/warranted.

10. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Well-Known Member

How would you describe the 8d barrie vs 8,5D leeds fit?

11. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

The taper to the toe area of the 1-last cramps my toes and the area by the ball of the foot is also quite snug. However, the overall snugness of the 1-last has resulted in an excellent symmetry of the rolls between the left and right shoe.
    My foot is much better suited to the Barrie last.

12. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  13. Kahuna75

I need a better picture of the Frontier...can not really see what the side material is...I nearly MTO's a burgundy/black Dalton so I kind of like that...The Wright is very cool too and the only hold up on that one I think would be for people wearing in multiple times a week I would be concerned about the look the stitch goes through. In my rotation it would be fine getting worn a few times a month.

14. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Thanks sazon!

15. feyy

feyy Well-Known Member

if you click through, you can see the student's presentations which include lots concept designs and variations of the eventual submission:

http://content.allenedmonds.com/pdf/Parsons_MichelleBrown.pdf

http://content.allenedmonds.com/pdf/Parsons_ElizabethGordon.pdf

http://content.allenedmonds.com/pdf/Parsons_Rheza.pdf

http://content.allenedmonds.com/pdf/Parsons_HannahSmith.pdf

Quote:
    she says its salmon leather

16. Kahuna75

having watched the video's the Wright I think would have looked very cool done in the original drawing..it almost seemed like AE was going to take whatever they designed and then just fit it to an existing shoe...I really liked that stained glass design he had for the full lacing. He does say just because it is on paper does not mean you can do it in the shoe...which in my mind is saying some old designer at AE said it has to be a certain way and that is that...

The Sprata seems like a darkhorse to win...again another one where the design was more monkstrap that stitched on piece of leather over a loafer.

Any way very cool project I would buy whichever shoe wins just to support a cool thing like this.

17. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

These designs are pretty cool. I personally like the Bleecker St.

Here is the big question for AE: DO WE HAVE A VOTE?

18. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

That Bleeker St is pretty hot.

19. Kahuna75

Yeah good point...I thought that was a given...LOL

I mean they could control the vote by just emailing the ballot to existing AE customers so one of the designers with Social Media skills would not run away with it.

20. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

Not trying to American Idol'ized the process but I think AE can really get some publicity from this and I think the applicants can get more recognition for their work. Crow voting can be counted as a criteria when grading these models.

PS. Paul-if you reading this, PM me and I'll consult you, the cost will be a pair of the winning shoes. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.