1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I will be possibly looking into these in brown and burgundy during the next big cordovan seconds sale. They look great!

2. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Quote:Ha, I've got 6 months do as much acquiring as possible. Shell Jeffersons, and Chili Daltons are on the way as we speak. Not to mention the shell daltons I'm hoping to snag soon funds permitting. Then hopefully some Burg. shell Leeds and black shell PA.(selling current black calf PA's) Kinda funny we were at counseling last night and talking about finances, and she says she feels comfortable that I wouldn't go out and randomly buy a $400 pair of shoes on a whim. I had to go poker face on that one. So does that mean $700 is ok :) I will have to soon learn from the stealth masters. Shoes might be a bit harder to get past her, I used to have 2-3 pairs of bland shoes, now that I've stepped up the shoe game a bit she's noticed, however appreciates. Fortunately tools and garage items should be much easier to get by with. And I already have my nice Snap On tool box. I'm pushing for the combined finances but with small side accounts for each. Which should hopefully suffice.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  3. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Well-Known Member

Happy you're enjoying your Rush Streets. I am not. The leather on the left shoe is digging into my ankle and the right shoe has lots of extra stitching under the tongue which causes lots of pain. They are extremely uncomfortable - even when tied loosely. I've worn them twice and will be returning them this evening. If they don't take them back I'm selling them on eBay.

4. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Haha. I don't recommend the "stealth approach". I handle the finances, but my wife know what is going on. I just let her know when I am ordering something. She knows that I wouldn't jeopardize our financial situation for shoes, so she doesn't give me much trouble. We have joint finances and we each set aside money from each paycheck for "fun money" as we call it. We can do whatever we want with it, so I save it up and get shoes when I have enough. She likes to spend it every week.

5. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

That is not good.
    Best of luck.

6. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Quote:In my mind I envision it the same way. I don't think the stealth mode will be necessary as I'll be much more conscientiousness of both of us. Plus for my tool collection shes ok with it as she hasn't had any vehicle repair bills in a long time.

7. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

That is probably a better rationalizion than "At least when we're out in public I'll always have nice shoes on". haha

8. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Received my Brogue Strand Suedes back from exchange($125) and could not be happier...shocked that going from a tight across the vamp 13D to a perfect fitting 12 EEE. Out of the box I see no visual defects. This to me is really a great AE design with the Dainite sole...The only think that may have made this a little nicer would have been contrast stitching.

I have to say this is one of the most comfy pairs of shoes I have put on right out of the box. I fully anticipated a tight toe box doe to going down a full size.

The Strandmok Tan Suede is going back...it simply is aweful...I will post a picture later. In 13D it is very tight across the arch/vamp...for an unlined suede show this shocked me how tight it was. The white Gumlite is already dirty...I am just not a fan of the Gumlite sole.

9. inno

inno Well-Known Member

I'm looking at a pair of Strands on eBay and the seller doesn't know the width (fitting). Anyone know, for a UK9, what width would be 4.5" across the sole at the bottom, and 7.25" from sole to sole around the upper?

The interior has the following numbers (size, last, etc?) if it helps:
    9 38 1635

10. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

double check that 38 and see if it is 3E (they use an "E" that looks like a backwards 3). Usually that middle number / letter is the size / width.

it should be size, width, style on the top row and some control number on the second row.

2 people like this.
  11. Kahuna75

You can probably call AE with those numbers and they may be able to tell you width

1 person likes this.
  12. Kahuna75

Just looked at my 3E pair and yeah that would look like an 8 for sure...

1 person likes this.
  13. inno

inno Well-Known Member

hohneokc, Kahuna75, you're absolutely right. Thanks!

Of course, that means the size is 9US, which may or may not be a little too small for me. Gonna try the size tester printout thingy on the Allen Edmonds site.

On another note, how do these soles look? I can't figure out if there's a lot of wear or if it's just the angle.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Well-Known Member

The leather in the independence line is much softer and more supple compared to the regular AE leather. I love my Rutledges, Jeffersons and William Williams.

15. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

LMAO, I love it. Keep up the good work, my friend. J

16. lostron

lostron Well-Known Member

I wish i purchased these a while back instead of the fifth ave - awesome shoes

17. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member

I know this is slightly OT, but since this is such an awesome tight group, I just want to get some quick feedback from you guys. I got residency interview coming up that I am trying to assemble a wardrobe for the social /before interview. (I been only wearing scrub/t-shirts or suit for past 3 years).
    I am thinking about getting
    1. Dark jean
    2. Light chinos
    3. Blue blazer
    4. Button down plaid dress shirt
    For more casual:
    Dark Jean-tennis/boat shoe-polo/shirt-w or w/o tie/blue blazer
    For more formal:
    Light Chinos-Loafer/Walnut Strand-shirt-w or w/o tie/blue blazer
    What do you think on combination?

18. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

I would pass up on the boat shoe and use the loafer with the jeans. Unless the social is in a yacht club or near a body of water.

For the more formal social event, I would go for the strands.

19. rink

rink Member

Wowza, that Gramercy is a great makeup. I called the shoebank on the off chance they had this 2012 model in stock, but - as expected - no dice. Checked eBay as well and didn't see it. Does anyone here know where I might be able to snag one of these short of an MTO? Or is MTO the only answer? TIA.

20. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Agree. Great looking shoe.

Whats the make up of the Gramercy? Is it chili calf or dublin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.