• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right, good point. However, at sub $100 a pair, I'm thinking Joseph Abboud are not hand-made or Goodyear welted, and pumped out in high volume to fill 1000+ stores. How will AE manage that volume requirement? Streamlining of production processes? I'm worried...

AE won't have to fill that same requirement. I'd assume that even if MW did buy AE, they would probably be sold in a similar way that they are through JAB (meaning online) with only very select stores having them in stock.

At the end of the day, I think that if MW owns the company, then MW is simply the bank account the profits are going into. Most everything else would probably be business as usual.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read the JS article and you'll note CEO Paul G. is interested in growing the company, to include its operations Port Washington. I think people are allowing their disdain for MW to cloud their judgment on this (which, BTW hasn't happened and may never come to pass). The firm that currently owns AE has already held it longer than its typical investments, so a sale to someone at some point seems inevitable. JAB already sells AE, so I doubt this would prompt Nordstrom to drop the brand (it would probably mean the end of AE at JAB, however, unless it succeeds in its efforts to buy MW). Nor do I foresee AE becoming a "store brand" that loses its value. Despite being purchased by Sears, Lands' End (another WI company) retains its brand identity and value. Were Sears to fold, it would have no problem selling off LE (which it has already contemplated as a means of raising cash). In either case, the principal effect of the acquisition is more retail outlets, more sales, and more revenue.

Agree.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Browsing old catalogues... Can't figure out why AE has discontinued so many great models they had, like this one for example (from the 1980 edition).

They needed to close that out like you need to close out Chrome tabs...

Holy hell batman!
lol8[1].gif
good eye! How much ram do you have on your computer to be able to run all those tabs?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had to make a note of some irony I just read over in the Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central thread. AE is always getting flack for it's cap toe (Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue specifically) proportions being off.

I know that many have legitimate preferences for larger caps on their cap toes, and are genuinely able to see the value of AE while preferring certain models to be from other manufacturers because of their proportions being more tasteful on a case by case basis. I think that's great, and I genuinely like many offerings by other manufacturers more as well. People should be able to purchase shoes that they like more as long as the additional cost is reasonable to them.

However, I firmly believe that there are also many who bash AE simply because of their place in the men's shoe hierarchy, and rather than admitting to the fact that they don't want AE's because of their low price point, they instead seek to bring down AE using subjective tactics. It's these people that this conversation made me chuckle about.

Foster and Son (a highly respected English bespoke shoe firm) posts photos of shoe shown below in the thread.

SF Member replies: "That smaller toe cap with a wider vamp is a nice look."

Foster and Son replies: "We agree. It seems, somehow, more discreet."

I already know that some will say that the pair in this picture is a bit narrower overall (mitigating some of the offensiveness of the stubby cap), while the appearances of the AE cap toes vary widely based on width and length. I agree. I do think that some people would be better served by going with other brands if they have a particularly high width : length ratio. However, many just dismiss the AE's as being hopelessly out of proportion without any further consideration.

Then again, I've never figured out why AE isn't allowed to have a slightly shorter cap, and yet Barker Black is allowed to produce these without much flack:

And yes, there are die hard SF'ers who wear these proudly.

I know I'm playing with fire here.
nest.gif

rolleyes.gif

peepwall[1].gif

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions, guys. The boots aren't a requirement really, but a suit with dress shoes are. I haven't been able to find any oxfords that my feet fit in without getting unsightly topline bulge, so I was thinking bal boots would fit the bill. I also like boots more than shoes, in general.

I don't mind the speed hooks so much on the carmina pair and think the height is better. The price is more than I want to pay though.

Maybe I'll start with a black calf AE pair, then move to Carmina when ready.

Also, it's worth noting that though the AE's are a dress boot, they can be dressed down as well. I wouldn't say as much for the Carminas, too fancy to be dressed down IMO.

cincikid

Reaction score
Holy hell batman!
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
good eye! How much ram do you have on your computer to be able to run all those tabs?
Hah, noticed that as well. I actually didn't have that many of them open. Somehow using the Print Screen button has added this interesting effect.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't follow too much of the drama around here. People bash AE's cap toes for being too small?

fourspin

Reaction score
^This. I have both and I find the Aberdeen far better in the foul weather.
Thanks, Olifter and Cincikid. I have Redwing Iron Rangers for boot duty. I'll try the Aberdeen's. Lug sole seems like the winner.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't follow too much of the drama around here. People bash AE's cap toes for being too small?
All people do on SF is bash on AE it seems like :) Check out this thread as well:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/362365/the-quintessential-dress-shoe-black-cap-toe-oxford/105

Not bashing per say, but definitely less preference for the PAs. The others are more aesthetically pleasing, but other than the Loake's, much different price ranges. If AE adjusts the PA and FA to have caps closer to the length of the Strands, it would be pretty nice.

cincikid

Reaction score
Thanks, Olifter and Cincikid. I have Redwing Iron Rangers for boot duty. I'll try the Aberdeen's. Lug sole seems like the winner.
I was just checking the price for a colleague of mine the other day. Seconds are $159 and you can also buy firsts at $295 with 25% off at the J'ville outlet.

fourspin

Reaction score
Really? I emailed with the Shoebank earlier this week on another closeout (Saunders). They had sent me a price sheet during the RDA and they were $159, but Vincenzo told me they were back to $199 after the sale. I assumed that meant that the Aberdeen's were also back to $199.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with the PA's but if I was to be picky I wouldn't mine them looking a little sleeker if you will but that could be due to the elongated and narrowness of my foot in particular, also being tall.

cincikid

Reaction score
Really? I emailed with the Shoebank earlier this week on another closeout (Saunders). They had sent me a price sheet during the RDA and they were $159, but Vincenzo told me they were back to $199 after the sale. I assumed that meant that the Aberdeen's were also back to $199.
I called the Freeport store on Monday and they quoted that price. You may want to double check though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads