1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

That is a SWEET haul. For a while I was really tempted by the possibility of an MTO Portland - like a customized Indy almost. And those Slatons are killer!

2. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

My feet also flat and felt like the 2 last fit me really well. I've tried on the Sauders and went down half a size comparing to other 5 last shoes. They are a bit tight across the toe box but I think they'll loosen up after a few wears.

3. movoblast

movoblast Well-Known Member

I had a pair of truffle mccallister seconds that I returned because the two sizes were off, although they were both labeled as being the same size. They arrived looking like the pair on the right (truffle), but after applying a very small amount of brown cordovan cream, they ended up looking like the pair on the left (ravello-ish). I actually kinda regret returning them because the size difference wasn't really noticeable.

4. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

Two totally different shoes, I'd keep both! You'll regret it if you don't, they both have great (and different) color and patina.

5. BL70

BL70 Well-Known Member

Anyone have mctavish in the brown distressed? I decided to exchange my ridgeway (just too much orange for a bus casual shoe for me). I like the cognac color but don't think that mctavish would be included in the 2 for 250. But the brown is, I just haven't seen many pics so don't know how the color will work. But for 125 I guess it still a good but

6. halfnhalfnhalf

Does anyone know if you can order WebGems through an AE SA? An "ask and answer" has just been posted for the cognac MacNeil 5 in which AE confirmed that the leather is CXL. That's enough to get me to pull the trigger on it. However, if I can give my local SA this business, I'd like to. TIA!

7. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure.

I don't see why not. Would seem silly if you couldn't. I doubt AE wants to take business away from their retail locations.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  8. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

I have the Chester shortwings in merlot. I think its a beautiful color, but it's definitely more casual than the burgundy (also, somewhat harder to match with a belt). I find myself only wearing it on days when I don't have important meetings or court appearances. If you have a less formal office, or would mainly wear them casually, give the merlots a shot.

9. nhindian

nhindian Well-Known Member

Hey guys, got my second Katmai's in. I see a few spots on the left boot... can these be brushed out or am I just better off returning them?

Thanks

[​IMG]

10. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I wonder if they are all CXL, it sure looks like Tan is Natural CXL and the Burgnudy is #8 CXL to me. Which also makes me excited at the new possibility of some #8 CXL boots for the fall, think how amazing the Promontory boot would have been had they done it in that.

Did we ever straighten out what last the Macneil 5 is on?

11. HarleyBob

HarleyBob Well-Known Member

I would send them back. Heck, don't we all expect 2nds to be perfect! In addition, I would ask them for a full refund and a new pair of 1sts for your trouble. Wait, that doesn't make sense. Ask them for 2 pair of 1st for your troubles and make sure they pay the shipping. Good grief, any company that would send you a pair of 2nds with flaws in them should have to suffer the consequences of providing a poor quality product.

1 person likes this.
  12. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to beat up on you, but these are seconds. This why they initiated the restocking charge on seconds. Buyers buying second quality shoes and returning them until they get first quality looking shoes. Some people get lucky on here and receive seconds and say "I can't tell why these are seconds". IMO, you should buy seconds knowing they WILL be defected. If you can't deal with defects then buy firsts. This is the reson I don't buy seconds.

1 person likes this.
  13. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

I would try to brush them off, you can also try to suede eraser to clean the spots out.

Are the from the 2/250 sale? If so, you're getting them for a great price, def worth keeping. Stop Bitching and Start Wearing them bad boys [​IMG]

14. bgp001

bgp001 Well-Known Member

Thanks! MTO Portlands would be ridiculous. Something like Cognac Dublin or Burgundy CXL with a toasted edge and contrast stitching, I'd definitely buy those!

I don't think either shoe was intended to be business casual. I would never wear my Ridgeways with anything other than jeans or cords, and the same would go for those Mctavishes. The brown distressed is very casual. I personally would not buy a shoe just because it's cheap. It'll always go straight to the back of the closet.

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Yes, I can confirm that this is true.

16. halfnhalfnhalf

Since the initial confusion, everything I have seen indicates they are indeed on the 5 last. I will clarify this with my SA at the time I order them, since I go down a half-size on the 7 as compared to the 5.

17. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

The email I got from AE the other day clearly says they are on the 5 last.

18. Rookie428

Rookie428 Member

Two thumbs up! Those laces look very nice. Mind if I ask where you bought the laces? size and thickness?

19. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Sounds great! I like the 5 last on my foot.

20. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

The maiden voyage of the chili Daltons I bought in the 2-for-$250 sale. Because of the rainy early spring weather in New York, I haven't had the opportunity to do much more than try them on before now. This is my first pair of dress boots, and I love how they look with jeans. I'm between inseam sizes, so having higher boots helps disguise when my inseams are (arguably) too high.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.